The non stop ********** ads

All my ads are on the sides and bottoms of my phone when I use NT, and I'm running desktop version so I can create threads

Thank you for the details, everyone.  I'll make sure that the head of ad ops sees this, as it may help them to identify the source of these rogue ads and finally put a stop to them.

In other news:  Huddler is changing over their ad servers on Tuesday.  It's a big change, and one that should definitely help us improve the quality of advertising in the long run.  

Should this problem persist, I'm also going to look into the possibility of providing an ad free subscription option - either for sale (as was the case on Yuku/ezboard with their community supporter program) or as a reward for users who win contests or are especially helpful and add a lot of great content to the site.  

We always want to reward your loyalty, not test it.  

Advertising is immensely complicated due to all the different possibilities in play.  There are literally thousands upon thousands of ads that could be served by any one of the ad networks filling space on the site.  I apologize for the issue and I appreciate everyone's patience and understanding as we track down the problem and devise solutions to prevent its recurrence.  

Just got on my iPad and got wrecked with 3 straight to AppStore ads :smh: didn't even click on a thread before they popped up.

If you're on an iPad scroll to the bottom and use mobile mode. Feels weird to browse NT like this but it's better than redirects.

i thought it was only me, i rarely go here on my phone anymore, i once pulled niketalk up and i had to close safari because it kept redirecting me to a nonexistent page, so safari kept trying to open it but since it didnt exist it kept saying 'something something something can not connect' this would pop up over and over

Quote: Originally Posted by NjCollector View Post i thought it was only me, i rarely go here on my phone anymore, i once pulled niketalk up and i had to close safari because it kept redirecting me to a nonexistent page, so safari kept trying to open it but since it didnt exist it kept saying 'something something something can not connect' this would pop up over and over
 If you get that error message again, let us know exactly what it says. 
NT is the new ISS. I told the admins this years ago. It's sad
You complain about everything, though.  

What would you have us do, go back to Yuku?  

No more charity stickies, you switching your name to "methodical management", the front page of NT, ads, features etc. this website is ISS with a black and red theme. NT is a cash cow and you're making plenty of dinero, word to Robert. I'm not mad at you, though. It was only a matter of time until y'all wanted in on the pot

It's happens on my phone all the time. Rarely on the laptop and I hate how the mobile NT options looks.
It's gotten really bad when I'm on my phone.

No more charity stickies, you switching your name to "methodical management", the front page of NT, ads, features etc. this website is ISS with a black and red theme. NT is a cash cow and you're making plenty of dinero, word to Robert. I'm not mad at you, though. It was only a matter of time until y'all wanted in on the pot
BZbOUba.png

Meth, bring on the ad-free subscription

SRSLY

Ill gladly sign up if it means no more of the stuff that's throughout this thread

Last edited:

Meth, bring on the ad-free subscription

SRSLY

Ill gladly sign up if it means no more of the BS that's throughout this thread
I co-sign. I would donate is we had a button also...
We will continue to explore the possibility of providing an ad free subscription option for interested users.  However, I think it's best if we wait until after we've changed our ad servers before implementing something like that.

You shouldn't have to pay anything to avoid seeing ads that we ALL consider unacceptable.  Fixing the problem is our top priority and I'm hopeful that we can make some good progress on this in the next couple of weeks.  

As we are currently ad-supported, we will not be asking for user donations.  We'd much rather see you guys donate that money directly to charity, as with our recent Super Typhoon Haiyan relief drive.  

At the moment, this issue appears to be impacting only a small percentage of NikeTalk users.  I myself have yet to see any recent app store redirects on my iPad, let alone 3+ redirects in a single session.   If a large number of users were interested in an ad free subscription, we would have to charge a fee to offset the revenue losses associated with the ads that would no longer be served to those users.

If, however, only a small number of power users really need it, we may be able to offer a select number of ad free subscriptions for FREE as part of certain promotions.  For example: maybe we'd give ad free subscriptions to the users who create the most popular or helpful sneaker reviews, those who share the best deals or outlet finds, etc.  We could use it to reward people who are doing their best to help others and make the community a better place.  

That's something we can offer more quickly and readily than creating the infrastructure needed to process paid premium membership subscriptions.

Let's see if the new ad servers have any effect.  If they don't, I'll set the wheels in motion to make ad free subscriptions available on a limited basis for FREE.  

The Huddler platform doesn't have "sticky" topics.  We have forum announcements.  If you'd paid any attention, you'd have noticed that an announcement concerning our fundraiser for Super Typhoon Haiyan relief was up for the last six months.  Before that, we had an announcement regarding our scholarship program with the American Indian College Fund.  

We also have a whole charity SECTION at the top of the desktop site, so you can easily find previous donation announcements.  Details regarding Decembers $35,000 contribution to Room to Read will also be made available in the coming weeks.  

Last year, we donated $51,000 to charity.  How much did we donate per year on Yuku?  

We're raising more money for charity than ever before.  Are you complaining about that?  

As for the front page, we took something confusing and made it useful.  It's not just a forum listing - though anyone can easily use it to access the forum listings.  We give everyone access to the most popular topics and news items at a glance.  We also allow users who've signed in to create a customized news feed that updates in real time.  If the only complaint is "NikeTalk looks more like a professional website than an amateur one," then that's a complaint I'm willing to live with.  It's been our goal to IMPROVE NikeTalk, not keep it mired in obsolescence.  

Ezboard was cutting edge in 1999.  We didn't intentionally make the site backwards and hard to use.  We set out to create the best possible online community for our fellow sneaker fans, and the redesign is simply an extension of that. 

I can understand that you don't like ads, but that's the price of free websites.  Have you actually been to any Yuku sites lately?   They're not exactly faring better than we are.  Quite the contrary.  Have you already forgotten about the "yuku time machine?"  The maintenance wizard?  Sparks, the NikeTalk hamster?  

The move saved NikeTalk.  We still have our independence.  Users still freely criticize any and all brands.  We're not masquerading PR puff pieces as articles or running paid "advertorials" like some sneaker sites I won't mention.  Site performance and stability are better than ever.  The site is more fully featured than ever.  We addressed many top user requests, from true buy/sell feedback to our specialized mobile site.  We're contributing more money to charity than ever.  If we'd stayed on the old platform, we'd have NONE of that.  Go look at "sneakertalk."  THAT is the bleak future we could've had.  

We're experiencing some issues with our ads at the moment, but, thanks to the move, we now have some of the best people in the business managing those ads and the entire ad infrastructure is changing this coming week.  We're going to use the same ad servers as Wikia, resulting in higher quality ads moving forward.  

As for the change to my username, which is the most trivial complaint imaginable, it's just something I'd wanted to do for quite awhile and finally had the opportunity to complete during the transition.  I'm not 17 years old anymore - and you're not, either.  Whatever silly grudge you're still clinging to, let it go.  

Made a thread about this.. It's annoying man, I can't even browse nt right anymore :smh:

I didn't experience the ad pop up and redirects to the app store until today. This sucks. Happened twice a few minutes ago.

Switch to mobile never get redirected! I'm currently on desktop mode but not getting redirected for the last 2 days except once.

Back
Top Bottom