• 11+

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
BD0A52E0-B3AD-4E27-94EB-98364C6E2BCB.jpeg

Attachments

• E8579088-37D1-44B7-A862-666001FCCF60.jpeg
    E8579088-37D1-44B7-A862-666001FCCF60.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 2
I don’t wanna turn this into a Mack shoulda got paid vs Carr gettin the bag, but I completely agree with the statement on both deep throws from Carr so far.

75B94C85-CA56-41FA-9F1C-0FE71C3FABD9.jpeg

He’s had that problem of laying them up for years now...

Carr has been inaccurate

Last year people blamed his “back injury”

But look after every deep pass to cooper, they all look like jump balls

I don’t wanna turn this into a Mack shoulda got paid vs Carr gettin the bag, but I completely agree with the statement on both deep throws from Carr so far.

If you watch the replay on this one you see that #53 for GB hits Carr after the release. Carr had no room to step forward into the pocket for this pass cause the moment after the ball leaves his hand he hits the turf.

The dude compared it to Madden :lol: and if you re-watch that play. It was congested if he throws that.

from that angle looks like he could of mashed the O button. But from the field, he probably would of cracked one of his lineman in the back of the head if he did. LOL.

Too early to be debating and having position controversy. Let's wait till like midway through the season and they're not over .500...Or maybe if they lose to the niners. LMAO.

I’m not a Raiders fan, but I really want to get you folks feedback about Gruden. From the outside looking in, he seems to be off to a rocky start with Mack. What is everyone’s feelings on him so far?

I’m not a Raiders fan, but I really want to get you folks feedback about Gruden. From the outside looking in, he seems to be off to a rocky start with Mack. What is everyone’s feelings on him so far?
He hasn’t even coached an official game yet, so I don’t know.

I’ll save my reservations after 8 games to judge, just like any coach.

We haven’t seen anything to form an opinion on him yet. Also we don’t know how mug Gruden is in on with Mack Negotiations. Everything is a mystery. The starters have played a combined 2 series this preseason.

Raiders vs. Seahawks: Five things to watch, including the final round of the backup QB competition

GettyImages-1019027256-1024x630.jpg

By Vic Tafur Aug 30, 2018
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

SEATTLE — The only thing more anticipated than Khalil Mack’s return is the the end of the preseason schedule.

Especially one in which Raiders starters played less than they ever have before, under new coach Jon Gruden.

Well, we can check that off here tonight, when most of the players will go through the motions, a handful might be on the radar of other NFL teams and the rest will be trying hard to impress Canadian Football League scouts.

There are really only a handful of spots open on the Raiders’ 53-man roster before the 7 p.m. kickoff against the Seahawks. Here are the five positions to watch:

Backup quarterback
Gruden has said he doesn’t know if his backup is currently on the roster, but if he is waiting to see who is on the waiver wire this weekend, he still has to pick a winner between Connor Cook and EJ Manuel.

Thus far, Cook had the best game of the two — in the preseason opener — but has really fallen off since. Manuel has had chances to grab hold of the job, but has literally fumbled it — losing the ball in each of the three games.

It probably doesn’t mean much, but Manuel is one of the team captains tonight.

I asked Gruden why he thinks Cook had the drop-off after he looked poised in the pocket and delivered balls on time against the Lions.

“I think the second time out, very first play snapped over his head,” Gruden said Monday. “Not a very good way to start when you get hit right underneath the chin to start the first round. I think the play around him has to be better, too.

“Some of these backup linemen have to give him some better looks in the pocket. Some of our receivers, they have to separate better. It’s up to all of them. But Connor has to take better care of the ball and he’s had some chances to make some throws, because I’ve seen him make them on the practice field. I think he’s capable of completing more passes accurately.”

Receiver
The odds are against Johnny Holton of making the team again, even though he is one of the team’s best gunners on special teams. Amari Cooper, Jordy Nelson, Martavis Bryant and Dwayne Harris all have spots locked up, and rookie Marcell Ateman looks pretty safe.

Oh, and we forgot Seth Roberts. Why does everyone forget Roberts? He’s had problems with drops, but who on the Raiders hasn’t. He has made plenty of big plays in his three-year career and is an excellent blocker.

He is back from a concussion and Gruden thought Roberts looked good last week against the Packers.

“I thought he did some good things,” Gruden said. “Some of the balls didn’t go his way, but he was open a few times. Did a nice job blocking. Did an excellent job running some routes. It’s good to see him back out there. … It’s good to have him back on our offense.”

Offensive line
The Raiders cut veteran Breno Giacomini, which is an indication of their comfort with Kolton Miller at left tackle and Donald Penn at right tackle. It also leaves a roster spot open, and there is probably no player on the spot tonight more than second-year tackle David Sharpe.

Sharpe lost some weight in the offseason and has worked hard to overcome the bad start. Offensive line coach Tom Cable likes his potential, but it does require some binoculars to see it at times. Guard Denver Kirkland is also on the bubble and former practice squader Jordan Simmons has a shot.

Defensive line
The Raiders’ deepest position, and the source of Gruden’s biggest headache come Saturday’s cutdown.

“I think it will be tough,” Gruden said. “Do we keep nine? Do we keep 10? And then (Frostee Rucker) has come in here, if you watch the first play of the game the other night, his pursuit – he’s still got long speed to go get it – he’s versatile, he can play inside or out. He knows the defense.

“(Tank) Carradine had his best game, Fadol (Brown) and Calhoun can play special teams. So, there’s some really good candidates. We’re excited about it.”

The Raiders may have to go with nine defensive linemen if they have to carry a second kicker for a couple of weeks with Eddy Piñeiro dealing with a groin injury. Mack likely won’t be back by Saturday, so that is one spot for one of these guys temporarily.

Brown had 1.5 sacks, seven tackles, three quarterback hits and a forced fumble last week, and may have claimed that spot. We already had Shilique Calhoun on the roster based on his newfound power and great preseason.

Gruden would love to get Rucker’s leadership on the roster. But whose spot would he take? One possible answer may come to you when you watch Thursday and ask why Mario Edwards Jr. is playing so much.

Linebacker
Like his buddy Calhoun, James Cowser has done everything the coaches have asked. He has a forced fumble and an interception after moving back from defensive end this offseason. But it probably won’t be enough as special teams standout Kyle Wilber essentially had a spot locked up from Day 1. Cowser has an infectious positive energy that the coaches and players love, so another good game tonight might make the Raiders take another look at the depth chart.

Undrafted rookie Jason Cabinda has been good but the team will likely cut him and hope that they can get the nickel middle linebacker back, on their practice squad.

Man these reporters out here really be trying to make all look bad in Oakland. I swear we are the only franchise that gets this treatment from the media. The NFL really has a strong hatred for the Davis fam. We get kicked down any chance they get. Can't wait to win a super bowl and throw it in everyone's faces. I'm gonna be out of control when we get one

the whole narrative while Mack has been holding out is how it's a bad look that Gruden hasn't talked to Mack.
But in LA it's cool that McVay never talked to Donald cause he should focus on coaching.

people eat that **** up too :lol:

Man these reporters out here really be trying to make all look bad in Oakland. I swear we are the only franchise that gets this treatment from the media. The NFL really has a strong hatred for the Davis fam. We get kicked down any chance they get. Can't wait to win a super bowl and throw it in everyone's faces. I'm gonna be out of control when we get one

I'm going to have to take a week off of work when that happens. Just acting an ***.

there's no team with a QB and Defensive player signed to huge contracts, Raiders should tho.

there's no team with a QB and Defensive player signed to huge contracts, Raiders should tho.

Seeing that we have an offensive minded coach, and seeing how much wack *** Sammy Watkins got, I wouldn’t be surprised if the conversation is what will happen to Coop should they have basically 40% of the cap tied to Mack and Carr.

Seeing that we have an offensive minded coach, and seeing how much wack *** Sammy Watkins got, I wouldn’t be surprised if the conversation is what will happen to Coop should they have basically 40% of the cap tied to Mack and Carr.

That seems to be the situation. Coop is gonna be a FA soon too, and it’s gonna boil down to Mack or him. Gruden needs to keep a “good” WR with Carr, so idk.

Back
Top Bottom