The Official 2008 Chicago Bulls Off Season Thread: BG Signs 1 Year Deal; No one cares; BASEBALL FTW

Sources say Suns' Del Negro is the Bulls' guy

By Mike McGraw | Daily Herald Staff

Contact writer

Published: 6/9/2008 11:43 AM

To:

The Bulls have hired Vinny Del Negro as their new head coach, according to league sources.

Del Negro was a late arrival to the search process and has no formal coaching experience. He spent last season as an assistant to Phoenix Sunsgeneral manager Steve Kerr. Prior to that, he was a broadcaster for the Suns and San Antonio Spurs.

Del Negro, 41, spent 12 seasons playing point guard for five NBA teams, mostly with the Spurs. He averaged 9.1 points and 3.2 assists.

The Springfield, Mass., native beat out former Minnesota coach Dwane Casey and Sacramento assistant Chuck Person for the Bulls' job, whichhas been vacant since interim coach Jim Boylan was dismissed on April 17.

So Del Negro is our new coach
smh.gif

I really dont know what to say about this move other than I hope is not true.
Nothing against Vinny, but he has no coaching history, and I would find it hard to believe that he would be able to keep these guys in check.
Well at least we still have the draft to look forward to...........Pax better start making some moves.

im kinda intrigued by the whole thing.. vinny is only 41.. he's gonna be relatively young.. maybe the players will be able to relate to him better? comingfrom phx, he might also bring over a lot of the sun's running philosophy. as their main scout, he was responsible for finding players that would fit intod'antoni's system.. so he must know it pretty well and hopefully it will translate into his coaching. we'll have to wait and see.. i'm notparticularly excited about this choice.. but at the same time i'm not really let down either...

Are you kidding me?? He has ZERO coaching experience. NONE at all. Not even as an assistant coach. Not even junior high or YMCA or a park league...ZERO!

pax is terrible. I miss jerry krause...

I am not going to pass any judgement on our new coach because their is no way to tell what this team will look like in October when they hit the floor. A lotwill be done in between that time and if Vinny was scouting for the Suns, he must know what it takes to get players on the court to run that offense. I hope hebrings it here. Seems like a high risk/high reward type hire which was going to get blasted by Bulls fans. People getting pissed this early is hilarious.Nothing that Avery Johnson has done has impressed me. He was given everything he needed to win a title in Dalls by Cuban and couldn't do it. And DAntoniwent for the green.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

smh.gif

quick question unrelated to the bulls thread, your a bulls, cardinals, and ny giants fan. how did that happen? im not tryin to clown or nothin i was justwondering how that happened.
btw if del negro coaches the bulls it will probably be like what usually happens when a former nba player starts coaching, thebulls will overachieve next season but within 3 years the players will probably start to tune him out. this is a good situation for him or any coach to getinto though seeing how everything that good go wrong went wrong for the bulls last year. thats not going to happen again and with the number 1 pick in thedraft to help out i wouldn't be suprised to see an immediate improvment in chicago.

FB is a "unique " fan to say the least. he has genuine reasons though for likin those teams. It's still hard sometimes to accept him as a Bullsfan when he loves the Cardinals.....ahh well

Ima wait for an official statement before i get my feathers in a bunch. I still say that it wont matter who the coach is, but what players Pax brings in duringthe off season.

^ima bulls fan and a cardinals fan lol but i dont live in chicago, i think if i were raised in chicago it would be different but im from central illinois...idkwhat to think of the vinny deal, i guess we will see but if he brings the uptempo pace of the suns with him then u think thats a strong indicator that thebulls are drafting rose

huh???

Anyways, I don't know anything about Vinny Del Negro so I can't really be too upset with this selection

I would have liked them to wait on Tom Thibedeau

I kinda like Tom Thibebddoudedeuodoedoe as well....but like I've said , the coach will not determine the fate of this team.....which likely has many movesto make.

im not passing judgement untill an official announcement has been made, first is was D'Antoni, then Collins had the job, now Del Negro...Paxson is likeRiley when it comes to giving off smoke screens it seems...

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

huh???

Anyways, I don't know anything about Vinny Del Negro so I can't really be too upset with this selection

I would have liked them to wait on Tom Thibedeau

An overexaggeration. But pax is well on his way to making me miss krause...

He has made some terrible moves as Bulls GM, including this one.

Let me put it this way, and I think you'd understand. He gets the kind of luv Kenny Williams should be getting (and more) while KW gets the disrespect(and more) that pax should be getting...

I think this is a good signing. I'd rather have a coach with potential than someone like Collins or Avery, both of whom have been ineffective up to thispoint.

Vinnie has absolutely no coaching experience. Everyone has their start somewhere, but I wish dude at least coached the grandma squad at the local old folkshome. Do old folks homes ,like "Shady Hills" ,even have basketball teams?? I doubt it, but maybe Vinny learned enough to do well. Not that Vinni hasa choice. He best be the right choice, because I cant take another year of horrid basketball. Damn it, just make a big move Pax. Call me before you do itthough, 'cause SleepyBlue has had enough of your -nonsensical deals. What if Viny came in and like the Bulls won 50 games or so and actually won a seriesin the playoffs? is that too much to ask? I mean damn.....what the hell, why the hell can't we catch a break. Not that getting the 1st pick isnt wonderfuland all, but I have a negative vibe over all of this. I still cant get over Memphis trading Gasol to La La land for a bag of marbles and a candy bar to benamed later.....and that Kwamy guy that MJ wasted the Wizards' pick on. Good grief.....

Originally Posted by lakersmets49ers

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

smh.gif

quick question unrelated to the bulls thread, your a bulls, cardinals, and ny giants fan. how did that happen? im not tryin to clown or nothin i was just wondering how that happened.
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, however I traveled a lot growing up. New York was my second home, which is where my love for the Giants comes in.My extended family has had season tickets for over 33 years. I grew up watching Carl Banks, Mark Bavaro, LT, Phil Sims and so on. My first Dodgers game wasagainst the Cardinals back in 82. I played SS and 2nd base and Ozzie Smith was my favorite player. Growing up between L.A. and NY, I couldn't stand eitherbasketball team. The Lakers and their fans have always been a bunch of douche's in my eyes and the Knicks were more delusional than a Cubs fan. I decidedat a young age to follow a rookie named MJ, and was hooked from the jump. I went through all of the growing pains of the Bad Boys beating our %#@, to theDynasty, to the lottery. I Love the Bulls, always will. Unlike a lot of members on here, I didn't let my city of origin dictate who I root for. I simplychose the teams I liked and remain a diehard fan until I pass on.

The sad ordeal is that this HC search has been a total debacle. Paxson has shown us he had no plan, no list of coaches, and hadn't considered what othercoaches might get canned at the end of the season.

Paxson looks foolish in this search.

You guys don't want Collins

You guys don't want Del Negro

[Rick Patino] Phil Jackson ain't walking through that door [Rick Patino]

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by chikickz

The sad ordeal is that this HC search has been a total debacle. Paxson has shown us he had no plan, no list of coaches, and hadn't considered what other coaches might get canned at the end of the season.

Paxson looks foolish in this search.

I think a couple of things happened that made Pax look terrible. DAntoni chased the money. He wanted Chicago but Pax/Jerry wanted to see other candidates,which led to NY writing the check. Not much you can do een if there was a verbal agreement between D and Pax.

There was something not sitting right with Pax wanting Collins. Somebody did not want him here and it was a mess after that.

For some reason Avery is not getting a look. I wonder if they saw a lot of Skiles in him.

It looks like CHI wanted the big splash hire and when DAntoni bailed, they wanted a young guy. The whole plan with Collins was to bring in someone young totake over after Collins was done. Almost a lame duck in a sense. I didn't really want that. I have no bones about a young guy with no experience takingover a tea still trying to find an identity. The only Pax has done wrong is trying to get a team that Skiles could turn into a "winner" which fadesreal fast. The Skiles experiment should have been nixed after they beat the Heat in the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom