the Official Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao thread March 13 2010

laugh.gif
that clown just passed his paycheck from the JMM fight to the IRS.

"He (Mayweather) is afraid, terrified of losing that zero," said Arum, possibly in an effort to goad Mayweather into making the match.
"That's why he's ducked (Shane) Mosely, (Antonio) Margarito and Cotto, and the question is will he duck Manny Pacquiao because he's so afraid of losing that zero."
laugh.gif
So true. Mayweather will demand some outrageous amountfor the fight (70-30 split) and will use that to take himself out of this fight in order to stay unbeaten. PBF will talk and talk in public about how he wantsto fight Manny but we know Floyd will sabotage the negotiations so his record stays unblemished.

PBF will probably fight some 2nd tier fighter instead then retire to preserve his unbeaten legacy. Too bad everyone will just think of him as an arrogantboxer who had unbelievable skills but ducked opponents his entire career.

[h2]Cotto-Pacquiao does 1.25 million buys on pay-per-view[/h2]
9018_185776360922_747385922_4256197_5272137_n_tiny.jpg
by SC on Nov20, 2009 12:16 PM EST in News
comment.v1599.png
7 comments

HBO has released the numbers, and the Miguel Cotto-Manny Pacquiao fight last Saturday generated 1.25 million buys on pay-per-view, beating out Mayweather-Marquez as the biggest boxing event of 2009. The fight generated $70 million in pay-per-view revenue to go along with its $8.84 million live gate.

The 1.25 million number equals what Pacquiao did a year ago against Oscar de la Hoya, though it doesn't quite reach the larger numbers that were being bandied about this week. Bob Arum said he thought it was looking like about 1.3 million, and he turned out to be correct. Usually, Bob is one of those going high, but I think this number more than pleases everyone involved.

Hatton-Pacquiao in May was a big success. Mayweather-Marquez was a phenomenal success. And this fight -- bigger than both -- is just more proof that if you put together fights and build guys right, boxing is far, far from dead.

I would have said six months ago that a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight approaching the all-time PPV record set by Oscar and Floyd back in 2007 would have been impossible, but now I think there's a real chance there. Breaking two million buys is damn hard. In fact, Oscar-Floyd is the only fight that has ever done it, with Lewis-Tyson being No. 2 all-time at 1.99 million.

But I think Mayweather-Pacquiao can do it. I don't know if they will, but HBO has already said they'll be putting unheard of backing behind this must-see event should the parties work out a deal, and it seems to just about all of us that a deal not getting worked out is almost unthinkable. Way too much money to be made.

Boxing is on a nice little roll this year, and really has been the last few years or so. Slowly but surely, the mainstream media is starting to get over their "boxing is dead" obsession, and I'm hoping that a Floyd-Manny fight will be the last time I ever have to read articles from basketball writers titled, "The fight to get boxing off the ropes," or what have you.

Congratulations to HBO, Top Rank and of course, the fighters.

Kinda disappointed by the numbers I was hoping for the numbers would've been much higher so it'll put pressure on Mayweather's camp to make the fight happen but now they'll be like...Pacquiao has to play ball with us, the numbers weren't that great, and then negotiations will prolong, etc.

ok now that those # have been released...they have to play ball with mayweather. he's the bigger draw and both parties combined will docrazy numbers. With that said if mayweather was to beat both pacquiao and mosley where does he rank all-time? also where does he rank right now? i say top 15right now top10 with the wins over mosley and pacquiao.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

"He (Mayweather) is afraid, terrified of losing that zero," said Arum, possibly in an effort to goad Mayweather into making the match.
"That's why he's ducked (Shane) Mosely, (Antonio) Margarito and Cotto, and the question is will he duck Manny Pacquiao because he's so afraid of losing that zero."
laugh.gif
So true. Mayweather will demand some outrageous amount for the fight (70-30 split) and will use that to take himself out of this fight in order to stay unbeaten. PBF will talk and talk in public about how he wants to fight Manny but we know Floyd will sabotage the negotiations so his record stays unblemished.

PBF will probably fight some 2nd tier fighter instead then retire to preserve his unbeaten legacy. Too bad everyone will just think of him as an arrogant boxer who had unbelievable skills but ducked opponents his entire career.

interesting opinion

Originally Posted by Ymidas

ok now that those # have been released...they have to play ball with mayweather. he's the bigger draw
How do you figure that? Mayweather is not a bigger draw, that 2 million in Oscar-Floyd was an Oscar draw. Oscar is the only non-heavyweight thatdrew like a heavyweight. As of right now people are much more drawn to Pacquiao. These fighters just need to split the purse 50-50 and get this thing onalready.

I dont know tthey must be crazy because they're leaving millions of dollars on the table. They should borrow 120 million and placeon a table while they negotiate like they do a World Series of Poker Final Table.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Leonard Ellerbe, advisor to Floyd Mayweather Jr., told the Los Angeles Times that Shane Mosley would be their prime target if negotiations to
make a fight with Manny Pacquiao fall apart. Mayweather is looking for the biggest financial opportunities out there, and the two biggest are Pacquiao and
Mosley. Bob Arum of Top Rank and Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions [acting on behalf of Mayweather] are going to do their best to make a deal
for a Mayweather-Pacquiao bout. Mosley has to win his January 30 welterweight unification with Andre Berto to keep the Mayweather possibility alive.

"If the fight can't be made [with Pacquiao], we'll fight Shane Mosley if he can get past Berto," Ellerbe said.

Negotiations for Mayweather-Pacquiao will be tough. Mayweather wants the bulk of the money, and so does Pacquiao. Ellerbe doesn't seem to care if
Pacquiao's pay-per-view with Miguel Cotto lands a higher buyrate than Mayweather's bout with Juan Manuel Marquez. He stands with Mayweather's
position of Marquez bringing very little to the table in terms of pay-per-view buys.

"It's no secret the camps don't see eye to eye, but this is bigger than boxing," Ellerbe said. "We understand the magnitude of
this."

"The numbers don't lie, people do," Ellerbe said. "[Pacquiao] had good numbers, God bless him, but he had a dance partner [Cotto] this
time."
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Either way the fans win.

Pac and Floyd will def fight at some point though.

Its not a matter of if...just when, how and where.

Unless of course he run into Mosley and Mosley decimate that $+@.

Win, lose or draw its still a good look for the sport.

The best fighting the best is what boxing fans want to see.

Floyd is my favorite athlete ever but if Shane beats him in a good battle I would still appreciate the fight and give Sugar Lame his props.

Floyd is my favorite athlete ever but if Shane beats him in a good battle I would still appreciate the fight and give Sugar Lame his props.

grin.gif
Don't lie.

Win, lose or draw its still a good look for the sport.

The best fighting the best is what boxing fans want to see.

Sugar Lame? Relax, that's my cousin
laugh.gif
but yes, it would be great for boxing. Who wouldn't tune in?

Any combo of these 3 would bring in big money. I don't care who fight who, I just want them to MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Originally Posted by Ymidas

ok now that those # have been released...they have to play ball with mayweather. he's the bigger draw and both parties combined will do crazy numbers. With that said if mayweather was to beat both pacquiao and mosley where does he rank all-time? also where does he rank right now? i say top 15 right now top10 with the wins over mosley and pacquiao.

top 15 of all-time? really?

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

grin.gif
Don't lie.

I can't front on Sugar, dude is a HoF and one of the top fighters of his generation with a chance to still move up to the top of the list. I think Floydwill make him look his age though.

Rob is Shane solider
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

55-45 split for Money May. nothing less.

How? Manny just did a bigger number than anything Floyd did without the real cash king.

Floyd doine 1 million against marquez is more impressive the manny vs cotto doing 1.25

Originally Posted by mco85

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

How? Manny just did a bigger number than anything Floyd did without the real cash king.

Floyd doine 1 million against marquez is more impressive the manny vs cotto doing 1.25

Far more impressive.

Floyd is unquestionably the bigger PPV draw.

KingJames23 wrote:

marionthebarberian wrote:

How so? It was PBF's coming out of retirement fight and it was on Mexican Independence Day.

Remember JMM is a PPV attraction (Shane is not).- Straight from PBF's mouth. JMM has a whole country behind him, remember. So is JMM a PPV attraction ornot?

Mayweather had over 600,000 more PPV buys than Manny did against the same fighter.

JMM has never been any type of PPV attraction. Hes only been on PPV twice selling 600 K buys combined in those fights

And Floyd had over a million more buys than Manny against DLH.

He deserves the bigger split without any question.

KingJames23 wrote:

marionthebarberian wrote:

How so? It was PBF's coming out of retirement fight and it was on Mexican Independence Day.

Remember JMM is a PPV attraction (Shane is not).- Straight from PBF's mouth. JMM has a whole country behind him, remember. So is JMM a PPV attraction or not?

JMM is not a big PPV attraction, plus there wasn't really any question who was going to win. That Mayweather vs Marquez fight had nowhere near the buzzthat Pacman vs Cotto had because everyone knew Floyd was going to win. I think people were surprised that Mayweather vs Marquez sold so well and a bitdisappointed at Pac's numbers

JMM is a bigger draw than Cotto? Are you serious KingJames?
laugh.gif

I say Floyd is the bigger draw.

If he weren't undefeated, if he were the Pretty Boy, he probably wouldn't be.

Floyd is the better draw IMO.

And that's all I'm getting into this thread.

By the way, how many of yall going to watch the Kessler/Ward fight?
pimp.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

JMM is a bigger draw than Cotto? Are you serious KingJames?
laugh.gif

Never said that. You're arguing JMM isn't a draw when PBF said he was in his words, "which one is it". Take out PR and it still did 1.1million.
By the way, how many of yall going to watch the Kessler/Ward fight?
pimp.gif

Yes, and I like Kessler's experience to be the difference.

Manny didn't become a superstar til after DLH, even you can admit that.

Mayweather - Marquez Live Gate: $6.8 million revenue. PPV Buys: 1.05 Million . what did pacqiou marquez do?

Manny didn't become a superstar til after DLH, even you can admit that.

Exactly why he deserves the smaller purse.

He has a far less impressive PPV history which is the sole basis of the PPV split negotiations.

Even after he fought DLH...he still has over 100 K less PPV buys against Hatton than Floyd did.

Arum is going to spread his venom so that he can clean up as much as possible and boxing analysts will throw shots because we all want to see the fightmade...but Floyd has to get his fair share as far of revenues.

He will be attracting most of the money for sure.

Back
Top Bottom