The Official Jordan XXXI Thread

No doubt the AJ16's-28's were very daring in design and that's not my problems with them per se...it's just that they did not turn out to be something dope like the1's-14's which, in fact, we're also daring and is the standard(I use anyways) for AJ's thereafter. It seems that something has been lost, maybe not the spirit but something. Also why I bought up daring design is because I don't think the XXX1 is daring at all. It is a shoe that plays it entirely too safe and looks like any other shoe. But I do have to agree that they are definitely going in the right direction...because let's be honest after the AJ2010's that is the only way to go... lol

17, 23 were dope. I have the feeling the main reason most of the post 14 air Jordans aren't as popular is because Michael Jordan didnt play on them in his prime.
When thinking of the 17 and 18 both still sold quite well despite they were much more expensive than the models before but MJ wore them when he was a Wizard.
After he retired forever the sales of the newer models went down again.

I read a post (maybe from nightwing) that these are reminiscent of the 18s in terms of comfort.

Nah the 19, 2011 were definitely more comfortable.
The 19s are soft in all directions inside, soft cushioning and the whole inside of the shoe is softly padded.
But in terms of courtfeel the sole is not reactive enough.
But the memorial cushioned ankle part of the 18s wwere great.

Last edited:
Nah the 19, 2011 were definitely more comfortable.
The 19s are soft in all directions inside, soft cushioning and the whole inside of the shoe is softly padded.
But in terms of courtfeel the sole is not reactive enough.

Maybe though the comparison wasn't meant to be a good thing? I never had the 18s so I can't speak to them. But maybe comparing them to the 18s just means the 31s are ok comfort-wise?

Last edited:
Well that was easy.

Quick performance review -

Outstanding traction right out of the box from say one. Played for 6 hours and swipped less than 6 times. Super squeaky, super sticky

Full zoom is superb. It feels thinner than other units (Jordan 12, 18, 19)... but is still outstanding, and its directly under foot with no foam filler.

The insole is the best Jordan insole I've ever used. Its a very thick ortholite but doesnt sacrifice court feel. 

Forefoot has amazing court feel. Wide base but fully supported when laced up.

Shoes feel very low the ground.... as in the AJ1 and AJ 16.

Ankle support is very good when fully laced up.

Best performance Jordan ever? I dare someone to tell me another. 

Well that was easy.

Quick performance review -

Outstanding traction right out of the box from say one. Played for 6 hours and swipped less than 6 times. Super squeaky, super sticky

Full zoom is superb. It feels thinner than other units (Jordan 12, 18, 19)... but is still outstanding, and its directly under foot with no foam filler.

The insole is the best Jordan insole I've ever used. Its a very thick ortholite but doesnt sacrifice court feel. 

Forefoot has amazing court feel. Wide base but fully supported when laced up.

Shoes feel very low the ground.... as in the AJ1 and AJ 16.

Ankle support is very good when fully laced up.

Best performance Jordan ever? I dare someone to tell me another. 
Thats all I really wanted improved from the 29 and 30.  Im getting me this shoe.

Oh. Now I'm excited. Need my next basketball shoes and these could be it.

Any word on the USA and Brazil Olympic colorways dropping this weekend?

Last edited:
nerd.gif

@ NYGIANTS11 ... I agree with your take. I'm 6'2, 210, mostly run the point. I disagree with KickGenius about lateral traction. It's skipping, not slipping. The "skipping" they experienced was the SAME issue the XVIIIs had (ironically also designed by Kuerbis) . They're too young to remember. It gets better over time, and depending on the court you may not notice it at all.. It also depends how much you plant before you sprint your medial. For some this will be a total non-issue. The "skipping" was not an issue crossing over, switching directions or playing defense. If they give us a solid outsole, I think the 'skipping' will still be there. People forget this shoe was wear-tested over months by 1-5 position athletes at Nike. There's several outsole compounds that were tested and scrapped. Bad batches get out, but universally the traction on these shoes will hold their own.

Cushioning is sooo subjective. XX8s, XX9s, XXX were great comfort for balling but the firm beefed-up ZOOM feels like it NEEDS more when simply walking around...(kind hard to explain)...leaves feet feeling tired. These are great for walking around, the comfort lockdown is unmatched. It plays VERY low, reminds me of the 2010s (God forbid I say that!) but the ZOOM has a solid quicker snapback (FlightPlate), like the XX8, but of course lower profile and full-length so the transition is fluid. No complaints, but beware the ventilation is minimal just the AJ1.

Last edited:
The release dates for the "Rio" & "USA" were listed as tomorrow and Saturday. Did that change, or did I miss something? Did they push these colors back? I was actually looking forward to both colors (the Rio cause it's different) and the USA as they are beautiful. I wonder if they are still coming out in the next few days? Thanks for the help.

The release dates for the "Rio" & "USA" were listed as tomorrow and Saturday. Did that change, or did I miss something? Did they push these colors back? I was actually looking forward to both colors (the Rio cause it's different) and the USA as they are beautiful. I wonder if they are still coming out in the next few days? Thanks for the help.

USA is the 10th now I think

@nygiants thanks for the review. If you have played in the zoom bb1, which plays better?? Bb1 vs 31? Thanks

They made them a darn Quick strike?!! WTH Nike?!!! I love crazy colors and these were really something different but looks like they wont be gotten easily.

They did it already with the 17 lows lightnings as a QS.
They were difficult to get.

Back
Top Bottom