The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Hi Gais,

I'm about to buy my wife a MBP for Christmas because she does video editing and slideshows in her spare time.

we both have iphones, but have been PC users all our lives with our laptops so I apologize for all the noob questions i may have- be gentle!! LOL

is iMovie a good enough software to make slideshows and things of that sort? or is there something better? i was recommended that final cut pro was a good one....

Last edited:
Hi Gais,

I'm about to buy my wife a MBP for Christmas because she does video editing and slideshows in her spare time.

we both have iphones, but have been PC users all our lives with our laptops so I apologize for all the noob questions i may have- be gentle!! LOL

is iMovie a good enough software to make slideshows and things of that sort? or is there something better? i was recommended that final cut pro was a good one....
iMovie is good for simple video edits.

Since youre wife already does video edits on her free time, what program does she use on the PC? Premiere Pro? If so, Premiere Pro should be available on Mac.

Final Cut Pro I'd recommend if she does a lot detailed edits and cuts for video. Very thorough and the learning curve isn't too bad. Just take some time to read up on the tuturials.

iMovie is good for simple video edits.

Since youre wife already does video edits on her free time, what program does she use on the PC? Premiere Pro? If so, Premiere Pro should be available on Mac.

Final Cut Pro I'd recommend if she does a lot detailed edits and cuts for video. Very thorough and the learning curve isn't too bad. Just take some time to read up on the tuturials.

Okay, I'll look into it.

She actually does it as a side hustle, but only when she has free time. People call her here and there to do it. Kinda cool on her part, i wish i had her patience/talent.

^Yeah, it takes a lot of patience and focus when it comes to video editing. I lost the patience to do it and now, give input to friends who do it was a part-time gig now.

hey guys= since i'm getting my wife the MBP, what accessories can i get her that'll be from our 2 year old that won't give it away that i got her a macbook pro?

at first I thought you said you got your two year old a MBP

and honestly the only accessories for a MBP is a case, and maybe the magic mouse but that's a stretch

nothing that would hide you got her a MBP :lol:

hey guys= since i'm getting my wife the MBP, what accessories can i get her that'll be from our 2 year old that won't give it away that i got her a macbook pro?
Unless it's something generic like an external monitor or hard drive, everything's going to be MBP specific

nthat.gif
16gb ram+850 evo ssd=godly combo...thinking about swapping the optical drive out and throwing the og hdd in it

:nthat: 16gb ram+850 evo ssd=godly combo...thinking about swapping the optical drive out and throwing the og hdd in it

Smh I'm slapping myself man

Sold my 2011 Macbook Pro and copped a 2015 Macbook (Space Grey), of course it's faster and new toy blah blah...I could've just stuck with my old MBP and upgraded the Hard Drive to SSD

Yeah that was a downgrade. Macbook is strictly for portability nothing else.

The hinges are already loose on my MacBook screen which is annoying.

Sold my 2011 Macbook Pro and copped a 2015 Macbook (Space Grey), of course it's faster and new toy blah blah...I could've just stuck with my old MBP and upgraded the Hard Drive to SSD
Yeah bro amazon had them on sale bf...but like you said atleast you have a new toy to play with..how much you end up paying for your new model after the sale?

Can I get some help, por favor?

I bought this Mac back in March. It was on sale and I knew I only had plans to edit photos so I thought 128gb would've been enough. I recently purchased a MyCloud to store my pics and music but Other is still taking most of my space. Thanks for the help.

if you are wondering on how to get more space...then if you have an iPhone and back it up to your iTunes go and see if you have any old back ups for example last week i had the same problem. I had 30 GB left on my 512 and i knew i didn't use that much. I went to iTunes and saw that i had like 10 back up files that were at least 18GB each from my old iPhones so i deleted them and that freed up 100GB.

Yeah bro amazon had them on sale bf...but like you said atleast you have a new toy to play with..how much you end up paying for your new model after the sale?

I got $600 for my macbook, paid $1150 for the new one

should've got the macbook air but thats not bad paid $550

Retail is $1300 but Best Buy has/had them on sale ($150 off). I can say this Macbook isn't worth that...honestly I'd live off an iPad Pro if I could but I'm really compulsive with Downloading/Storing music as opposed to streaming

I need to stop playing and buy the kit to add the SSD to my MBP already 
mean.gif

I have an early 2011 model - 8gb RAM and 500gb HDD with the core i5. 

I just want to make sure also.....if you check on apple.com the max RAM you can use, mine says 8gb....I should still be able to throw 16GB in it and run right? I have no problem doing it, I just don't feel like getting it and it nor working and then I have to go through the return process and all.

^ double check on the RAM. For my 2008 I think apple listed it as 6GB max, but its been well documented to use *GB and thats what I brought it up too.

I was also interested in upgrading to an SSD, but I may just end up buying a new MBP altogether. Mine is still using an old core 2 duo and I'd rather have newer processors at this point. Maybe I can find a 2013 or 2014 maxed out online.

So, essentially, is the new Macbook Apple's the next Air?

I liked what it had to offer, but for the price, it's limited?

:nthat: 16gb ram+850 evo ssd=godly combo...thinking about swapping the optical drive out and throwing the og hdd in it

Ive already upgraded my ran to 16. i just copped the same drive. did you install the drive yourself, if so. Hard?

I need to stop playing and buy the kit to add the SSD to my MBP already :smh:

I have an early 2011 model - 8gb RAM and 500gb HDD with the core i5. 

I just want to make sure also.....if you check on apple.com the max RAM you can use, mine says 8gb....I should still be able to throw 16GB in it and run right? I have no problem doing it, I just don't feel like getting it and it nor working and then I have to go through the return process and all.

i got an early 11 as well and i installed 16gb ram myself.

Yea I should've just done more searching but I never did. I already found like 3 other articles/forums where people are asking the same thing. Apple doesn't "support" 16GB in these models but it works with no issues. I swapped from the 4GB to 8GB RAM, so I will do the 16GB soon as well.

Probably grab a SSD at some point to so I can make it the boot drive as well. I should've grabbed the Samsung EVO one that was on sale the other day, but I didn't think I was going to do it in the next few weeks since I am trying to grab one of those Surface Pro 4 systems as well. 

Welp...that was easy enough. Went to NewEgg and they had the 16gb kit from Corsair for $79.99.

Amazon had the same pricing, but then they also had a Crucial memory kit with 3,300 reviews at a 4.8/5 for $70.

Used my discover card for the bonus cashback and they also have a promo with that RAM when you buy with a discover card for $10 off, so I got it for $60 
nthat.gif

Ive already upgraded my ran to 16. i just copped the same drive. did you install the drive yourself, if so. Hard?
yep installed it myself wasnt hard at all. Youtube vids will guide you through it take out the old hd, have it backed up so you can istall your os on your ssd and that's it 

Been looking to get into some video editing and using Final Cut Pro on my 2015 MBP since I feel like it's the only way I can get into the raw power of the machine

Back
Top Bottom