The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

^^^ How much better is it compared to iMovie?

i wanna get it for my wife, but I just spent 2 racks on the MBP, i ain't tryin to spend another $300

Been looking to get into some video editing and using Final Cut Pro on my 2015 MBP since I feel like it's the only way I can get into the raw power of the machine
Agreed. Utilizes all the power to make the editing process smooth.

OWC has the data doubler with the 120GB SSD on sale for $83.50 right now.

They also have the 300GB SSD on sale for $95. Dumb question, but I might as well get the 300gb for $12 more, right? 

As I type this out......dumb question and no-brainer.....carry on 
roll.gif

Edit: the 300GB model was only for Mac Minis 
mean.gif

I am going to just buy the data doubler bracket and then buy the Samsung EVO from Amazon for $77 and still be around $100 though at least.

Edit #2: Bought the data doubler bracket and the EVO 850 250gb SSD and came in at $103. My 16gb of RAM comes in today too 
nthat.gif

Going to mess around and have me not buy the Surface Pro 4 if it changes my speeds that much 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Damn. I was dumb and didn't think of looking for deals on harddrives. My black macbook died on me a few years ago and i've been wanting to get new ram and a hd for it.

I was wondering if anyone had this problem who also has an old macbook. Those latches that you pull out to eject the ram, mine don't push in all the way anymore and are loose. I tried taping them in but doesn't work that great and makes it difficult for the battery to fit in properly.

Damn. I was dumb and didn't think of looking for deals on harddrives. My black macbook died on me a few years ago and i've been wanting to get new ram and a hd for it.

I was wondering if anyone had this problem who also has an old macbook. Those latches that you pull out to eject the ram, mine don't push in all the way anymore and are loose. I tried taping them in but doesn't work that great and makes it difficult for the battery to fit in properly.

The black MacBooks don't update to el capitan so you were better off moving on

My hdd broke

I threw in on the ground in a fit of rage :/

^
Ok good to know.

Sucks that the newer version of mac minis aren't able to be opened up and installed with better ram. Bought mine a few months ago and the lag can be real bad at times.

for those who removed their optical drive...would you reccomend me doing it myself or paying 50 bucks at a local computer shop

in need of some help from my nt fam.

I got a macbook air early 2015 and I want to upgrade the ssd. Can anyone recommend the best one on the current market? there's a whole bunch of brands i never heard. Thanks in advance guys

I got a macbook air early 2015 and I want to upgrade the ssd. Can anyone recommend the best one on the current market? there's a whole bunch of brands i never heard. Thanks in advance guys

Crucial and Samsung Evo drives are good.

Sometimes Crucial even has sales where they offer SSDs for cheap.

I'm talking about 128gb for 30, 256 for 50, 500gb for 80 but this only happens maybe twice a year and the drives are refurbished.

IIrc you cant because they are soldered in.

Installed my 16gb of RAM last Thursday.

I grabbed one of those Samsung EVO 850 SSD from Amazon for $77 for 250gb.

I made a bootable drive with El Capitan on it and made a current Time Machine backup to restore from. 

My Data Doubler bracket came in Monday and I added the SSD last night when I got home. I put the SSD where the normal drive goes for the best performance and then put the old HDD in the optical drive bay.

That boot speed compared to my old HDD?! 
eek.gif
nthat.gif

Now I just need to get a super drive enclosure for my DVD drive so I can use it as an external drive and I will be good to go.

Oh....while I think about it....

Any of you guys look into or enable TRIM on the SSD that you installed? I was looking at it and it seems like this is definitely something that I should consider doing. 

Oh....while I think about it....

Any of you guys look into or enable TRIM on the SSD that you installed? I was looking at it and it seems like this is definitely something that I should consider doing. 

Never tried it nor do I know what it means :lol:

But that boot up time under 8 seconds tho :smokin

Answer to what TRIM is:
TRIM is a system-level command that allows the operating system and the drive to communicate about which areas of the drive are considered unused and thus ready to be erased and rewritten to. In the absence of TRIM, users can see significantly slower drive writes as the drive begins to fill up. Most modern operating systems support TRIM but for Apple's OS X, it has only included support for its OEM SSDs. This means that Mac users looking to install an after-market SSD in a machine originally intended for spinning disc hard drives would run into trouble without the help of other third-party tools. 

To enable TRIM, a user just has to type "sudo trimforce enable" into the Terminal window. Ars Technica  points out that running TRIM prompts a "scary" message from the system, but notes it's largely because each SSD implements TRIM in a different way, with older disks sometimes acting in a way OS X would not expect. 
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/01/os-x-trim-ssd/

There are claims and reports that there is a bug in the Linux Kernel and that TRIM does not work well with Samsung or Crucial SSD due to this. They are saying that a Linux patch was released to fix this, but I am trying now to see if this has been patched with Apple yet. I would like to think it has been. There are plenty of people using the Samsung SSDs and reporting no issues with them as well. 

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...ate-enables-trim-support-for-third-party-ssds

https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/

sup fellas

looking at a 2012 13" macbook pro with less than 15 cycles on it.....

specs:
i5 2.5GHZ
4GB 1600mhz Ram
Intel HD 4000 1536mb graphics card
500 GB harddrive

Apple care until October 2016

for $575

coo deal or nahhhhh?

To find out  what your MacBook's battery cycle  is, go to  > About This Mac > System Report, and select the Power tab, under Hardware. In the right panel, you will find  the Cycle  Count.

Last edited:

Wrong. The ram is soldered to the motherboard. The ssd is held in by a few screws.

I'm talking about 128gb for 30, 256 for 50, 500gb for 80 but this only happens maybe twice a year and the drives are refurbished.

Thanks dawg. Quick question, Is there a go to brand that most would recommend? Im leaning towards the Samsung Evo but id like to get the best one available...

Answer to what TRIM is:
TRIM is a system-level command that allows the operating system and the drive to communicate about which areas of the drive are considered unused and thus ready to be erased and rewritten to. In the absence of TRIM, users can see significantly slower drive writes as the drive begins to fill up. Most modern operating systems support TRIM but for Apple's OS X, it has only included support for its OEM SSDs. This means that Mac users looking to install an after-market SSD in a machine originally intended for spinning disc hard drives would run into trouble without the help of other third-party tools. 

To enable TRIM, a user just has to type "sudo trimforce enable" into the Terminal window. Ars Technica  points out that running TRIM prompts a "scary" message from the system, but notes it's largely because each SSD implements TRIM in a different way, with older disks sometimes acting in a way OS X would not expect. 
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/01/os-x-trim-ssd/

There are claims and reports that there is a bug in the Linux Kernel and that TRIM does not work well with Samsung or Crucial SSD due to this. They are saying that a Linux patch was released to fix this, but I am trying now to see if this has been patched with Apple yet. I would like to think it has been. There are plenty of people using the Samsung SSDs and reporting no issues with them as well. 

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...ate-enables-trim-support-for-third-party-ssds

https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/
TRIM seems like it could help my SSD run smoother as it fills up, i may do it.

Wrong. The ram is soldered to the motherboard. The ssd is held in by a few screws.

Thanks dawg. Quick question, Is there a go to brand that most would recommend? Im leaning towards the Samsung Evo but id like to get the best one available...
Crucial and Samsung Evo.

http://www.adorama.com/SSGMZ75E500.html

Thats a deal for the 500 gb SSD and it comes with a game download code, that you could probably sell to offset your cost a bit.

Does your macbook support Sata SSDs? bcos i know apple has  some PCI SSDs.

Back
Top Bottom