The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Ight thanks I’ll look at the pro.

also do you have any experience with the Microsoft surface laptops?

Def grab a pro. Keep an eye on macrumors if you have time. They often post when theyre on sale since theyre affiliated with most sites that sell Macs.

Def grab a pro. Keep an eye on macrumors if you have time. They often post when theyre on sale since theyre affiliated with most sites that sell Macs.
Preciate it

also do you or anyone else here have experience with buying used macs? Is it worth the hassle or just buy a new Mac Pro

my coworker found a used 2014 15” pro for $600. Still good and everything
Said he got pretty lucky

Preciate it

also do you or anyone else here have experience with buying used macs? Is it worth the hassle or just buy a new Mac Pro

Said he got pretty lucky
My last couple macbooks have been used. Main things I look at value wise are the specs and cosmetics. If it’s relatively recent, I shoot for one that’s still has AppleCare. It just needs to be cheap enough and in good working condition.

Preciate it

Said he got pretty lucky

If you are meeting in person, make sure you check all the speakers left and right. I got one with a blown speaker, he slid the balance to the other side and we were inside a quiet restaurant so of course it sounded loud.
Also make sure you are able to do a complete erase of the computer. If he doesn’t have all the login credentials to do a reformat then move on. Or take it to a Best Buy with a geek squad and they will do it for you (not free). I learned the hard way where the guy said here is the password, you can change it yourself. Well the password didn’t have full administrative access. Just the one he said his “son” gave him. And i ended up getting locked out. Best Buy helped me out but had to pay. The dude stopped answering my calls after he got my money and heard I was having trouble with logging in.

Tl;dr

don’t do it.

AZwildcats AZwildcats What stand are you using for your laptop on the desk?
7572D30B-8B83-4322-9E16-A49D113E7654.png

I can't tell you the last time I performed an OS upgrade that didn't have Windows-like issues :smh: :smh: :smh:. I updated to Catalina yesterday and now none of my apps can see anything in my Documents folder. Can't see/open any spreadsheets, word docs, etc. I'm assuming it's some iCloud BS but this isn't how I wanted to start my work week :smh:.

So i havent had a functional laptop since college (2010) i was debating on pulling the trigger on a mac book but i dont know **** about mac book or ipads. Anyone want to give me some insight? Is the price worth it? I always hear if u buy a mac u will bever have to buy another one ever idk

Any tips on improving my macbook's speed? It's been lagging as of late, from start up to opening apps

It's a 2012, got it in 2015 brand new

Would increasing RAM be the only solution?

So i havent had a functional laptop since college (2010) i was debating on pulling the trigger on a mac book but i dont know **** about mac book or ipads. Anyone want to give me some insight? Is the price worth it? I always hear if u buy a mac u will bever have to buy another one ever idk
Depends what you need it to do, but its easy to recommend the newest MacBook Air. One of the best laptops out at the moment imo, especially if you prefer MacOS.

Not going to be editing video full time or gaming, but that's a select few. For everything else, it should be fine.

I still have a 2008 unibody MacBook pro i use here and there. It's not a lie.

Any tips on improving my macbook's speed? It's been lagging as of late, from start up to opening apps

It's a 2012, got it in 2015 brand new

Would increasing RAM be the only solution?
LIke what was shared below, upgraded RAM and SSD. You'll immediately see an improvement in performance.

for long time MacOS users, is iStat the best real time system monitor? Not sure if I wanna pull the trigger, but I am close.

Way long overdue, but I just upgraded the SSD in my 2015 MBA to 512gb. This thing is a tank. Have used it daily since 2015 and aside from OS upgrades breaking things, I haven't had a single issue except storage space (128gb default is laughable). The battery is still going strong at 4-5hrs of usage. Let's see if I can get 5 more years out of it :lol:.

Just ordered a decked out iMac. Ordered 128gb of ram separately. It's like 600 if you do it yourself versus 2600 with Apple, and apparently it takes like 2 minutes.

Trying to get a find a good keyboard cause I know I'm not gonna like the Apple one after trying them in the Apple store. Might try a mechanical switch keyboard.

Last edited:
Just ordered a decked out iMac. Ordered 128gb of ram separately. It's like 600 if you do it yourself versus 2600 with Apple, and apparently it takes like 2 minutes.

Trying to get a find a good keyboard cause I know I'm not gonna like the Apple one after trying them in the Apple store. Might try a mechanical switch keyboard.
Cancel that, new imacs dropping soon

I think I might finally grab a Mac Mini. RAM prices have dropped a lot since I last checked. 64GB aftermarket for ~$275 is nice. A fully spec'd Mini is over $1k cheaper than a lesser spec'd 16" MBP.

My ‘13 Mac trackpad is acting up. I edit pictures and when I’m moving slides it stays stuck and just isn’t responsive. Any fixes?

Back
Top Bottom