The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

New to mac and a buddy was telling me that mac always creates logs, anyone know if this is true and how i can clean up my macbook?

Originally Posted by ourtran

New to mac and a buddy was telling me that mac always creates logs, anyone know if this is true and how i can clean up my macbook?

How to Clear Mac Logs
honestly i've had macs for over a decade and a half and i've done this maybe twice.
[quote"=Air Nikes"] kind of off topic but would anyone know if COD:MW2 is available for MW2?[/quote]
It's not officially. COD4 is. If you want MW2, you can either install a Windows virtual machine and play it off your windows system within your mac, or use a wineskin with a genuine windows copy

Originally Posted by djuzi05

Originally Posted by Dynasty Raider

^^ 
eek.gif

Congrats.  And excuse my ignorance but if you're just about to start med school, shouldn't you still be broke for now? 
laugh.gif

Well I'm pretty blessed to have family that can take care of that. Seeing my fellow classmates in their first semester already 120k in debt is kind of crazy. I was really wanted the screen space, which is why I opted for the 17" and also I don't need it to be that portable. I go to class in the morning and usually don't move from that spot for like 10-11 hours.

To the cRazy Dav0, I don't really think I needed the i7 which sounds hypocritical since I went with the more expensive RAM upgrade but using parallels and other programs that we use here for online lectures are really memory intensive so I figured that'd be better for me. The i7 performance is better, but not by much. Anyways it gets delivered day after tomorrow, but I wont be home from school for another 3 weeks (yeah i got a little impatient). Ill post some pictures then. No better felling that a new Macbook. Mac heads understand.

aiight thas cool ... good *%%% though .... when mine came 2 my door a couple weeks back ... i was
eek.gif
... haven't put that thing down ... it goes everywhere w/ me ... literally 
i looked @ ram prices to upgrade ... its like 275$ vs. the apple $400 i believe ... still too much for me ... i'll wait for prices to come down some ... 

Is there a site that has all the previous versions of an app? I just updated Echofon for Mac and now it won't maintain its position. It's real annoying

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Bootcamp means what? Paralells menas what? Is it on both Mac osx and Windows running on a MBP?

BootCamp is an apple utility in osx that allows you to install a windows partition on your mac. You can chose to boot into windows or into osx when you start your computer. Parallels is the same idea, except that instead of having to chose to boot one partition or the other, it shares the same hard drive space with your osx side (hence the name, Parallels). You can chose to view it as a window or integrate windows applications with mac ones. The benefit is in it's ease of use and swapping between virtual machines; but bootcamp allows 100% of your computer's resources to be dedicated to windows. There is a third option still in VMWare Fusion, which works very much like Parallels with some minor differences.

Ok NT Fam. I've held out on buying to wait for the iMac refresh and now that they're out I'm asking for your opinions. I know this is a mac thread so it may be biased but real talk, can you all please keep it real. I was going to buy a 21.5" iMac with the 3.60 GHz Intel Core i5 and upgrade to 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB for $1,759.00 but Costco has a HP with a 25" Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor, Intel Core i7-860, also 8GB DDR3 System Memory, 1TB and WiFI which the iMac also has but is only $1,249.99. Should I still get the iMac or should I get the HP and run Parallels Desktop? I want to purchase soon but I am unsure because it would seem that the HP is a better deal.

Its not about the "DEAL" its about the "VALUE" the imac carries more value, unless your running an intensive program that need lots of threading got with a the HP i7, but honestly I hate Hp computers with passion. Rather tell you to get a ASUS desktop over an Imac, if the specs are just right.

Alchemist, thanks for your input. The only reason why I'm shopping for a computer right now is because my HP laptop is on life support so that in itself has already kept me from buying the HP desktop. Honestly, I don't even need that much computing power. The 13" MPB would probably do. The only reason why I wanna go all out so to speak is because buying a Apple machine is no small investment and I won't want to have to upgrade for a very long time.

If you're looking for the best "value" you really shouldn't even be considering a Mac. PC's will always offer better specs for a lower price. But if you want the better all around experience and the superior OS you go for the Mac.

Thanks goat. I suppose if I have a 13" core2 MBP then boot camp ois my only option, right? Cause I suppose parallel would need more cores?

Originally Posted by digital022

Why is Safari such a P.O.S.?

it has it's strengths and weaknesses. I want to give it another chance since now it supports extentions a la Firefox and Chrome. I haven't owned a mac with more than 2 gigs of memory though and i find Firefox and Chrome to be less of such resource hogs than Safari.
Originally Posted by nocomment6

Thanks goat. I suppose if I have a 13" core2 MBP then boot camp ois my only option, right? Cause I suppose parallel would need more cores?

no, parallels and vmware fusion are still viable options for you. I say if you need a windows partition and you're not using memory intensive programs like those for rendering or encoding or the like on your windows side, stick with parallels or VMware. i find parallels to be a little more useful than BootCamp, and i don't have to dedicate a specific partition of my hard drive to just have a windows machine.
Originally Posted by you right

is there a good site to get a incase at a discounted price for my mbp.

Incase products are rarly discounted beyond their suggested retail because they consistently sell well, but you should try searching Google or Slickdeals like the poster above recommended.

I'll mostly be using pshotoshop and Cad programs, so it is kind of memory intensive stuff. Thanks for the info!

just copped a macbook pro and time capsule this weekend... loving it so far.. i need just need ps and illustrator now...

Back
Top Bottom