The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

It seems that the league's default answers to everything are..

"It will make the league competitive for all teams"

and

"our teams lost 300 million last year"

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

@bagsack bagsack
@NBA If decertification of the Union occurs, will players' current contracts become void?

@NBA NBA
.@bagsack If decertification occurs, players' contracts would become void

Wait, what exactly does that mean that they're voided...
nerd.gif

420+ free agents.

Originally Posted by PMatic

@bagsack bagsack
@NBA If decertification of the Union occurs, will players' current contracts become void?
@NBA NBA
nerd.gif

420+ free agents.

That's what I thought,
nerd.gif
. How the hell does one recover from that?

Seems like tomorrow/Tuesday is make-or-break...

If a deal is reached I'll be dancing throughout the halls though, I miss the NBA, bad.

@bagsack bagsack
@NBA NBA
nerd.gif

420+ free agents.

That's what I thought,
nerd.gif
. How the hell does one recover from that?

Seems like tomorrow/Tuesday is make-or-break...

If a deal is reached I'll be dancing throughout the halls though, I miss the NBA, bad.

KBergCBS Ken Berger
I thought @NBA was trying to clear up misperceptions about its proposal. All talking points/rhetoric so far. Heard it all before.

KBergCBS Ken Berger
I thought @NBA was trying to clear up misperceptions about its proposal. All talking points/rhetoric so far. Heard it all before.

@NBA @Lakeshow31 Every team will have least 500 tickets for $10 or less for every game this season
Considering there will likely be no games this season, this tweet seems pointless.
30t6p3b.gif

Plus they get bought up as Season Tickets, and hoarded to be resold so calling them "available" is a bit disingenuous. I know of dudes who own like 3 rows and hang out outside the arena, and no doubt online like ebay sutbhub and cl, to resell them. He was hitting his $10 Lakers tickets for 75 2 yrs ago in the playoffs (they go for even more now), just doing the math, $65 profit per seat x 20 seats per row= $1300 cash per row and like I said, he owns 2 or 3 rows. But that's another topic.

The thing they said that I am interested in, and figure to be a blatant lie that they will just not address again is,

NBA NBA
.@Mrljd05 All league executives are taking pay cuts in addition to over 300 job cuts across the league
40 minutes ago
Leland Dodd
Mrljd05 Leland Dodd
@NBA How about Mr. Stern and Mr. Silver both take equal pay cuts that the players are taking? Would show some shared sacrifice right?

@NBA @Lakeshow31 Every team will have least 500 tickets for $10 or less for every game this season
Considering there will likely be no games this season, this tweet seems pointless.
30t6p3b.gif

Plus they get bought up as Season Tickets, and hoarded to be resold so calling them "available" is a bit disingenuous. I know of dudes who own like 3 rows and hang out outside the arena, and no doubt online like ebay sutbhub and cl, to resell them. He was hitting his $10 Lakers tickets for 75 2 yrs ago in the playoffs (they go for even more now), just doing the math, $65 profit per seat x 20 seats per row= $1300 cash per row and like I said, he owns 2 or 3 rows. But that's another topic.

The thing they said that I am interested in, and figure to be a blatant lie that they will just not address again is,

NBA NBA
.@Mrljd05 All league executives are taking pay cuts in addition to over 300 job cuts across the league
40 minutes ago
Leland Dodd
Mrljd05 Leland Dodd
@NBA How about Mr. Stern and Mr. Silver both take equal pay cuts that the players are taking? Would show some shared sacrifice right?

PDF of the current offer by the owners.

Edit:

Quickly reading through the offer, I like the exceptions the NBA came up with. I still don't like the tax system they plan to implement. It will effectively create a hard cap, punishing big markets and the small markets that do a good job putting together a good team. The NBA got rid of the loophole where players can re-sign with the team that trading them.
pimp.gif

Orlando and New Orleans are screwed if/when they decide to put Dwight Howard and Chris Paul on the trading block since the "trade and immediate extension" is prohibited. This kills their return value because other teams will be hesitant to trade their assets with no immediate commitment from the player.

PDF of the current offer by the owners.

Edit:

Quickly reading through the offer, I like the exceptions the NBA came up with. I still don't like the tax system they plan to implement. It will effectively create a hard cap, punishing big markets and the small markets that do a good job putting together a good team. The NBA got rid of the loophole where players can re-sign with the team that trading them.
pimp.gif

Orlando and New Orleans are screwed if/when they decide to put Dwight Howard and Chris Paul on the trading block since the "trade and immediate extension" is prohibited. This kills their return value because other teams will be hesitant to trade their assets with no immediate commitment from the player.

http://www.youtube.com/wa...ture=channel_video_title

Disabled Player Exception set at lesser of (i) 50% of the disabled
player’s salary, or (ii) the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level
Exception. Maximum contract length of 1 year. Exception
available to be used to replace player who suffers season-ending
injury (same as under 2005 CBA).

So basically if LeBron gets injured the Heat have 5 million to sign a player for one year. Seems kind of useless. If someone that makes 5 million a year goes down, they get a 2.5 million dollar exception to sign a guy for half a season. Ehh...

Tax rates for teams that are taxpayers in at least 4 out of
any 5 seasons (starting in 2011-12) increase by $1 at
each increment (e.g., for team salary $5M-$10M above
the Tax level, the Tax rate for a repeat taxpayer is $2.75-
for-$1 instead of $1.75-for-$1).

That really discourages going into the tax.

NBA to guarantee players’ 50% share of BRI (or the applicable
percentage between 49% and 51% if BRI Split “Option 2

http://www.youtube.com/wa...ture=channel_video_title

Disabled Player Exception set at lesser of (i) 50% of the disabled
player’s salary, or (ii) the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level
Exception. Maximum contract length of 1 year. Exception
available to be used to replace player who suffers season-ending
injury (same as under 2005 CBA).

So basically if LeBron gets injured the Heat have 5 million to sign a player for one year. Seems kind of useless. If someone that makes 5 million a year goes down, they get a 2.5 million dollar exception to sign a guy for half a season. Ehh...

Tax rates for teams that are taxpayers in at least 4 out of
any 5 seasons (starting in 2011-12) increase by $1 at
each increment (e.g., for team salary $5M-$10M above
the Tax level, the Tax rate for a repeat taxpayer is $2.75-
for-$1 instead of $1.75-for-$1).

That really discourages going into the tax.

NBA to guarantee players’ 50% share of BRI (or the applicable
percentage between 49% and 51% if BRI Split “Option 2

Back
Top Bottom