The Official NBA Thread: Mavericks-T'Wolves Game 1 on TNT

Gambling is a part of the American/human fabric and it’s here to stay. Just saying, not going to allow a country that promotes alcoholism and alcoholics (not saying you drink) try to guilt trip us folks into not gambling. Not me at least

Yes, but there isn't a 5 minute segment on TNT called "Charles Barkley's IPA's of the Night" with updates 4 times a quarter on how those IPA's taste.

Gambling is fine; the fact I can't watch basketball (or hockey for that matter) for 20 minutes without knowing the over/under and my parlay options is beyond irritating.

Yes, but there isn't a 5 minute segment on TNT called "Charles Barkley's IPA's of the Night" with updates 4 times a quarter on how those IPA's taste.

Gambling is fine; the fact I can't watch basketball (or hockey for that matter) for 20 minutes without knowing the over/under and my parlay options is beyond irritating.

Alcohol and beer advertisements are plastered all across sports. From commercials, to still shots of fans drinking and chugging beers. So, your point is null and void.

Darn near 30% of all advertisements are alcohol/beer brands. The NBA has a crown royal commercial that plays, with an OutKast song in the backdrop, that airs almost during every game :lol: :lol:

Gambling is a part of the American/human fabric and it’s here to stay. Just saying, not going to allow a country that promotes alcoholism and alcoholics (not saying you drink) try to guilt trip us folks into not gambling. Not me at least

That’s not really the point of that video tho.

They’re just showing you whats happening, how the culture shifted so radically in 5 years.

And how these gambling corporations use your personal data against you to make sure you never leave - and if you do, how they find ways to entice you back.

That’s not really the point of that video tho.

They’re just showing you whats happening, how the culture shifted so radically in 5 years.

And how these gambling corporations use your personal data against you to make sure you never leave - and if you do, how they find ways to entice you back.

You do realize, people have been doing all this, for quite some time? Just in a mercurial way. This stuff is nothing new. It was just more behind the scenes due to risk. Online bookies and local bookies have been present for decades.

Ya’ll need to stop worrying about how people spend THEIR money.

Us non-drinkers (such as myself) have been tired of beer and alcohol advertisements for decades but, we don’t seem to have an issue with morello, corona, and Budweiser commercials. :lol: :lol:

I’ve been having to deal with cigarette and black and mild smokers my whole life, let us live

Last edited:
It is completely reasonable for people to look at the negative consequences of more gambling legalization

It was done with alcohol and tobacco as well.

Companies preying on people with gambling addictions is not a necessity for their to be legalized gambling

Alcohol and beer advertisements are plastered all across sports. From commercials, to still shots of fans drinking and chugging beers. So, your point is null and void.

Darn near 30% of all advertisements are alcohol/beer brands. The NBA has a crown royal commercial that plays, with an OutKast song in the backdrop, that airs almost during every game :lol: :lol:

My point isn't null and void. Print and display advertising isn't a segment. Literally the basis of my arguement.

And 30% is hilarious. Here are the stats from the Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth done in 2003:

1708447839160.png

While 20 years old, you seriously think with increased advertising restrictions, it has increased 5 times?

Admittedly a very small sample size, are a few games from 2023 (CBC and University of Bristol):

1708448334960.png

You don't like alcohol advertising, but you like gambling advertising. Which is fine. To believe they are being treated equally is disingenuous.

I used to think that only the gambler faced the consequences of a gambling addiction, but since moving to Vegas I realized that isn't true

I have seen people lose their cars, homes, retirement savings, kids' college funds. Ruining the lives of their families in the process.

Cruise lines prey on older people with gambling problems too.

It has been noted since online sports betting has become more widespread, calls to gambling crisis hotlines have skyrocketed

Just like alcohol, tobacco, and weed, there is nothing wrong with wanting it legal.

But that doesn't mean everyone has to bury their heads in the sand about the negative consequences to society as a whole.

So yeah, I think it is legal but banning certain advertising of it is completely reasonable.

My point isn't null and void. Print and display advertising isn't a segment. Literally the basis of my arguement.

And 30% is hilarious. Here are the stats from the Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth done in 2003:

1708447839160.png

While 20 years old, you seriously think with increased advertising restrictions, it has increased 5 times?

Admittedly a very small sample size, are a few games from 2023 (CBC and University of Bristol):

1708448334960.png

You don't like alcohol advertising, but you like gambling advertising. Which is fine. To believe they are being treated equally is disingenuous.

40+ years of alcohol advertisements…. vs 2-3 years of gambling advertisements… :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:.

Try again

No one is being dismissive of gambling addiction. But it’s just funny that alcohol and tobacco, and weed are shoved down people’s throats. Alcohol is promoted to the point of aggravation.

It's cumulative now?

What are you even talking about at this point.

You can’t compare 2-3 years of gambling advertisements, with over 30,40,50+ years of alcohol being advertised on TV. I’m 36 so again, I’ve dealt with it my whole life.

But had gambling been legal for that same tenure, then the argument probably would make sense.

I’ve always hated alcohol, alcohol and beer advertisements, but I’ve always been the type of dude to respect peoples vices.

If I were out here on a crusade to stop advertisements or taking axes to barrels like those politicians during prohibition in the 20s, than it would be different

I used to think that only the gambler faced the consequences of a gambling addiction, but since moving to Vegas I realized that isn't true

I have seen people lose their cars, homes, retirement savings, kids' college funds. Ruining the lives of their families in the process.

Cruise lines prey on older people with gambling problems too.

It has been noted since online sports betting has become more widespread, calls to gambling crisis hotlines have skyrocketed

Just like alcohol, tobacco, and weed, there is nothing wrong with wanting it legal.

But that doesn't mean everyone has to bury their heads in the sand about the negative consequences to society as a whole.

So yeah, I think it is legal but banning certain advertising of it is completely reasonable.

Exactly.

Information along with some transparency on how these gambling sites work behind the scenes ≠ wanting to control your money.

It’s just information guys.

You can’t compare 2-3 years of gambling advertisements, with over 30,40,50+ years of alcohol being advertised on TV. I’m 36 so again, I’ve dealt with it my whole life.

But had gambling been legal for that same tenure, then the argument probably would make sense.

I’ve always hated alcohol, alcohol and beer advertisements, but I’ve always been the type of dude to respect peoples vices.

If I were out here on a crusade to stop advertisements or taking axes to barrels like those politicians during prohibition in the 20s, than it would be different

I understand a bit more where you are coming from.

Back
Top Bottom