The Official Off-Season NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to be clear, obviously Lebron is a 1 of 1. We haven't seen nothing like him either.

But Lebron came in the league in 03. After him we got russ, ja, Zion (!), Rose and obviously before him we had Michael Jordan. So there's at least some precedence for the "freak athlete" (Not on Lebron's level, but yeah)

There has been nothing like Steph and I don't think we'll ever see someone be able to make off the bounce 3's at a 42% clip while taking 14 of them a game. That to me feels like the 100 points wilt chamberlain thing.
theres Dame,Trae, and Kyrie.They done shoot Steph’s att/% but can do what he does

I'm sure most will get what Scalabrine was trying to say but what he said about Bron just came off bad. Black athletes skills, for a long time and still to this day, are often credited because of their size and that it supposedly comes natural to them. He basically just denied the fact that despite Bron's stature, it wasn't his talent, hard work or intelligence that helped get him to where he is.

Not as outlandish of a take as it seems on the surface IMO

Lebron is a genetic freak, but there have been quite a bit of those in NBA history. Not to the extent of Lebron, because he has combined elite skill with his genetic outlier of traits, but we've seen big time athletes come and go in the league.

Steph is like this 6'4 pg (Swear down in person he's closer to 6'4 than 6'3) who's a weird combination of Rod Strickland Kyrie Irving and like Reggie Miller / Steve Nash :lol: bruh is taking 14 3's a game and making them at a 41% clip. Off the dribble, pin downs, 4pt line range, you name it. Never seen nothing like it.

Obviously both really rare talents that are once in a lifetime guys. But we've gotten Jordan, Kobe, Wade, Westbrook, Rose, Zion, who were also big time athletes. We've never come close to getting someone who's at the level of scorer and shooter that Steph is.

My issue with what Scal said is the focus on Steph’s work ethic because, while important, that’s not really why Steph is who he is. It’s work and a unique set of innate talents.

Last edited:
And to be clear, obviously Lebron is a 1 of 1. We haven't seen nothing like him either.

But Lebron came in the league in 03. After him we got russ, ja, Zion (!), Rose and obviously before him we had Michael Jordan. So there's at least some precedence for the "freak athlete" (Not on Lebron's level, but yeah)

There has been nothing like Steph and I don't think we'll ever see someone be able to make off the bounce 3's at a 42% clip while taking 14 of them a game. That to me feels like the 100 points wilt chamberlain thing.

I don’t like this because you summed up LeBron as a “freak athlete”but when describing Steph, you talk about specific parts of his game.

If we go into details, Bron is a much rarer player imo.

6’8, fast, quick, strong, jumps out the gym. Can shoot, pass, defend, rebound, score. Career 50% shooter and shot 57%! From the field in 2 straight seasons, on 18 shots a game still taking 3’s/jumpers.

imo “freak athlete” would be like describing steph as a “shooter” and listing other great shooters like Ray allen.

*6’9 w/ no shoes

This reminds me of buc em buc em making sure to let us know that not only was Benjamin 6’9 240lbs but he was “all muscle” :lol:

I don’t like this because you summed up LeBron as a “freak athlete”but when describing Steph, you talk about specific parts of his game.

6’8, fast, quick, strong, jumps out the gym. Can shoot, pass, defend, rebound, score. Career 50% shooter and shot 57%! From the field in 2 straight seasons, on 18 shots a game still taking 3’s/jumpers.

imo “freak athlete” would be like describing steph as a “shooter” and listing other great shooters like Ray allen.

Yep. Both are rare talents. He could have just said he worked with the HOFers and Steph works out harder than any of them and left it at that. But he wanted his 15 minutes in the 24 hour news cycle so brought a wild Bron comparison that could be taken out of context in.

Reactions: HIM
Bro. I truly cannot tell if you are serious about the Ja and Evan Mobley narratives that you have been pushing this season. This is some of your best work (srs).

Igoing a bit extreme with Ja, but you literally cannot stop that man from going in the paint and once he’s in there,that floater is a wrap. Or, he’ll just pull some athletic **** like we’ve all seen.

With Mobley, I 100% believe he would have won ROY if not for his injury and I 100% believe he should have been considered as a DPOY. You can’t tell me he isn’t already an elite defender. I’ve seen that man legit stay in front of, and lock up, Guards. In today’s NBA, being able to switch, and defend, the Pick n Roll might be more valuable than rim protection as a big. Look at what we did to Gobert. I truly think the only thing keeping him from the conversation was the fact that he was a rookie. He’ll win DPOY soon by doing the same things he’s doing now. You just can’t give it to a rookie :lol:

My cavs gonna show out and make him a household name soon.

Also, Rick Carlisle is trash and Kidd is a good coach. Don’t forget those 2 narratives for this season.

LeBron is in the top percentile of passers to ever play. Something even other freak athletes who work hard with never be able to achieve.

Also, Rick Carlisle is trash and Kidd is a good coach. Don’t forget those 2 narratives for this season.
I remember you bigging him up a couple weeks ago and actually did due diligence on this one. You’ve been Team Kidd all the way. I believe you eem had him as CoY in the Predictions Thread :lol:

• Fire
"Lebron this, Lebron that
(Lebron won't hold my hand no more)
Lebron this, Lebron that
What, y'all ****** get front page articles y'all mention Lebron name?

The previous post I literally expanded on Bron being a genetic freak who has a ton of skill

Lebron is a genetic freak, but there have been quite a bit of those in NBA history. Not to the extent of Lebron, because he has combined elite skill with his genetic outlier of traits,

Didn't say Steph was just a shooter either

Steph is like this 6'4 pg (Swear down in person he's closer to 6'4 than 6'3) who's a weird combination of Rod Strickland Kyrie Irving and like Reggie Miller / Steve Nash :lol: bruh is taking 14 3's a game and making them at a 41% clip. Off the dribble, pin downs, 4pt line range, you name it. Never seen nothing like it.

I definitely did not define Lebron as simply a freak athlete. Also, what you're describing is why Bron is a 1 of 1. So is Steph.

I don't inherently think there's a wrong answer here, but if we're talking about like...a pool of high d1 guys who have league aspirations, I feel like it's more likely (mind you, neither of these outcomes are happening in actuality, of course) that I find someone who could replicate Bron more so than someone who can shoot and score off the bounce like Steph.

My issue with what Scal said is the focus on Steph’s work ethic because, while important, that’s not really why Steph is who he is. It’s work and a unique set of innate talents.

Yeah that's why I didn't mention work ethic at all. Work ethic kind of has nothing to do with the spirit of his point. Bad choice of wording on his part.

You're not finding anything near a Steph or Lebron in the wild for a variety of reasons so it's all shooting the **** lol but 42% from 3 on 14 attempts per is wiltesque to me and there's no frame of reference for it.

How can they do what he does if they can’t shoot as well or take as many 3s?

🤔
Don’t be obtuse :lol: The guys he name have similar levels of athleticism as Bron ,but not quite the same ,I just named guys that shoot off the dribble and Deep 3’s similar to Steph….He’s the GOAT shooter and indeed a 1 of 1 but he isn’t the only one w/ that skill set

Don’t be obtuse :lol: The guys he name have similar levels of athleticism as Bron ,but not quite the same ,I just named guys that shoot off the dribble and Deep 3’s similar to Steph….He’s the GOAT shooter and indeed a 1 of 1 but he isn’t the only one w/ that skill set

He’s a career 43% shooter from 3. On high volume. Dame got a burner and has shot over 40% once in his career. Myrie has a burner but not the range. Trae is a career 34% 3 point shooter.

cliffs: they ain’t Steph and no one can do what he does. He is the only one with that skill

• Haha
[QUOTE="P C H, post: 34882514, member: 196397"]
Didn't say Steph was just a shooter either[/QUOTE]

Didn’t say you did.

It’s Ridiculous hypothetical either way. But Scal got what he wanted out of it. I see twitter is having this same discussion, just like we are :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom