The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 Oz Open Nadal Out)

More rain...
mad.gif

Welp, that doesn't look good. Maybe they can move the women's final to Sunday if they aren't able to play Wednesday or Thursday? It would be awful if they forced the WTA players to play twice a day two days straight.

I'm glad they finally decided to get a roof, but 2020 is such a long time away...

Last edited:
This tournament is horrible. Another rain delay today, but they actually let them play in wet, damp, and muddy conditions. Halep and Radwanska were cruising to wins, but by forcing them to play in these conditions, they can't hit through the court and now you see Stosur up a set and Pironkova with an invisible bagel in the 2nd. Hell, even RBA took a set and has a chance vs Djokovic in these conditions. No idea why they played today. Why not just delay the finals an extra day for actual quality play? If this keeps up, we're gonna have a bunch of flukes gutting it out in the SFs. 

Last edited:
I'm usually not critical of tournaments but this French Open has been awful. Making players play in crap conditions just to avoid giving fans refunds is garbage.

Yeah... I enjoy clay court tennis, but this RG has just been handled poorly.  Quick refunds yesterday, but from what I've read, had Nole & RBA play 2h01m, which is just enough for them to not issue refunds.  

People can say it's easy for Aga and Simona to complain when they've lost, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong.  Not just the conditions, but the start-stop nature of the matches is also tough.

Surely we're gonna have a Monday final now. 

The weather is part of the game. How's that any different then the Australian open with the sweltering heat. That's the beauty of the game. You have 3 opponents- the one across the net, the weather, and your head. As far as refunds, that's the risk you take in any tournament.

Yes, weather is absolutely a part of the game... but IMO, you can't compare Melbourne heat to this.  Players can train in the extreme heat to work on their fitness and whatnot... but they don't specifically train in the rain cuz play is usually stopped.  One bad tumble on a slippery line is all it takes.  

And it was wasn't just these ladies... Gulbis & Goffin were both unhappy with the situation.  

Wow, double fault from Putintseva. Lucky break for Serena... She looks exhausted. One set a piece now.

That ninth game in the second set, though... Come on, Serena, my heart can't take this this early in the morning. [emoji]128553[/emoji]

Nole's gotta be careful with that. I haven't been watching tennis anywhere near as long as the regulars here, but I'm really starting to understand why people still don't like him. I definitely don't like how he refuses to apologize/admit his mistakes in his press conferences when he does something wrong on the court.

After being five points away from losing in straights, Serena hands out a French baguette in the third. Go figure. Gotta give credit to Poots for putting up a great fight. Attacking the Williams backhand with deep and off-pace shots worked well for two sets.

Last edited:
Mann..that line judge shoulda wore that racquet...  

yessssss here comes the DQ! no RG16 for you!

On another note, I had ZERO confidence in Berdych giving jackhole a challenge. 

Last edited:

Nole's gotta be careful with that. I haven't been watching tennis anywhere near as long as the regulars here, but I'm really starting to understand why people still don't like him. I definitely don't like how he refuses to apologize/admit his mistakes in his press conferences when he does something wrong on the court.
You mean regarding his racquet slip?  I thought he did apologize?  He did so right at that moment to the linesperson and umpire... and later acknowledged that he was lucky.  

In the past he's apologized for his outbursts, so I don't think that's really an issue.  

Regarding being "liked", I think it's more of a timing thing... following Fed and Rafa... both who have a huge fanbase.  Naturally, their fans will not be supporting Nole.  He ends up getting a smaller portion of the fan-pie.  Had he come up in a different era, I think the situation would be quite different.  Does he "try too hard" at times?  Sure, I think so.  But he feeds off of that energy.  Some like the attention (NK), some like being liked (Nole), some just don't care that much (Muzz).  

Just one day after I come in here praising Serena from the mountain tops she damn near gives me a heart attack lol.
Gave me another near heart attack in the first set vs Bertens. Nearly down double break, choking double break lead in the tiebreak...she's definitely sick and/or injured. More drama in the second. Muguruza looks poised to win her maiden slam. 

^Missed the match so I'm not sure what was said, but supposedly Serena is dealing with an adductor injury.

As Dabo would say, tomorrow will be a BYOG type of match. Bring your own guts.

Don't let that scoreline fool you, Dom was outstanding.  The kid is really good. 

Yeah, he's definitely deserving of that No. 8 spot in the rankings he'll have on Monday. Thiem has such a pretty backhand.

Wawa out. Another Nole vs. Muzz showdown. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this will be the usual Murray beating from Djokovic we've witnessed over the past couple of years. Andy's been so good on clay this season... Both guys have a legitimate shot (again, I hope I'm wrong and Nole wins easily, lol).

Last edited:
Watching an exbibition match between Gabriela Sabatini and monica seles from last year on the msg+ channel. Never saw Sabatini before but damn she's fine.

Back
Top Bottom