The reason why Philly will never accept Kobe....vid.

i bet if kobe didnt rep philly people would still hate him, seems like dude cant win in this city
after all the booing especially at the all star game they should be happy hes still claiming philly
i view him as a californian

Ill finish watching this tomorrow but damn these Philly fans are going hard.

Kobe isnt the same arrogant guy he was during the early 2000s.

It's ok, he's from Los Angeles now, that's his home town.

I'd be hating if I was from Philly too, they haven't done +!*+ since they lost to the Lakers back in 01.

i guess its kinda like how LA hates Paul Pierce 
laugh.gif

what was the point of them even doing a story? this isnt even relevant any more. i could understand if this was 2001. no one in philly has cared about hating kobe bryant in almost 10 years.

Frobe was that dude. damn they hated on him. they wanted him so bad, they should have picked him over AI.

Barely a mention of him orchestrating his way out of charlotte. though.

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

It's ok, he's from Los Angeles now, that's his home town.

I'd be hating if I was from Philly too, they haven't done +!*+ since they lost to the Lakers back in 01.
Umm...

The thing is there are some people in LA & Socal who hate Kobe because even though he plays for the Lakers people say "Well he's fake because he lives in the OC in Newport Beach" .

As for other athletes from hometowns where the local people don't respect or love anymore you can add K2 Kellen Winslow Jr. Dude played his high school football in a rich upscale part of SD and ever since his college days at Miami dude has acted a fool and been a douche bag for most of his career. While his dad was a class act and is a Charger legend.

He did a track with Beans though. That's gotta count more than being accepted by the White fans in Philly.

I'm from Philly and I have nothing but respect for his game. I'm sure majority of Philly fans do also its just his cockiness and him saying he's not from the city + being on the Lakers which created the hate. If Kobe wasn't an arrogant type of person I'm 100% sure he wouldn't get as much hate as he does. But on the other hand Philly fans are sometimes one of the worst, I mean you guys should hear what they still say about Iverson even when he put us back on the map and the same goes for Donovan

Philla is a POS city, any city where they put up a statue of a movie character 
roll.gif

Chicago > Philla

2 things I remember, Kobe wanting to "cut Philly's heart out" in the Finals and the NLCS.
Old article.
[h1]Gonzo: Kobe has gone totally Hollywood[/h1]

By John Gonzalez

Inquirer Columnist

If the series goes back to L.A. (and I doubt it will), don't expect Kobe Bryant to rock any Phils gear at Dodger Stadium. The Lower Merion lad - who once dunked all over the Delaware Valley - is apparently finished with us.

It's probably for the best. I'm pretty much finished with him, too.

In sports, as in politics, perception matters. Late last week in California, the perception was that Bryant gave a very large, very public middle finger to Philadelphia. If you haven't heard or didn't see it, he was sitting with the mayor of Los Angeles, the owner of the Dodgers, and Tommy Lasorda for Game 2 of the NLCS. When the camera found him, Kobe made an "L.A." gesture with his hands.

It was like watching Zell Miller at the Republican National Convention or Arlen Specter cozy up to President Obama and the other Democrat fat cats - the defection was complete and the insult was obvious. Pictures say so much.

Ah, but that wasn't enough. Mamba wanted to make sure we got the message and sent word through Craig Sager. TBS's Technicolor Dreamcoat reporter asked the NBA's version of Kanye West - Bryant's ego has grown so impossibly large that he didn't hesitate to go out in public wearing a shirt with his own likeness on it - if it felt a little strange to root against his hometown. Even Sager knows how poorly that sort of thing plays, especially here in Philly.

"It's not weird." Bryant reportedly said. "I've lived in Los Angeles for 14 years now."

I lived in Boston and Dallas for eight years total, but I never had the urge to buy a Red Sox hat or spoon with former Big D mayor Ron Kirk. (He's not much of a cuddler, anyway.) Plenty of athletes leave home to play elsewhere, but few have so openly and unapologetically dug up their roots and scorched the earth they left behind. Can you imagine Dwyane Wade so blatantly snubbing Chi-town?

In an attempt to finally cut whatever frayed ties he still had with Philly, Sager said Kobe told him that he grew up rooting for the Mets and that he still has Ron Darling's baseball card. It's bad enough that he was a closet Mutts fan, but he held on to Ron Darling's card after all these years? Really? Until I heard that, I didn't think it was possible for Bryant to be any lamer than some of us already suspected. Next, we're going to find out his favorite player was Tim Teufel or that he slept on Wally Backman bed sheets.

Not long ago, after the Lakers won the NBA championship, I wrote a column saying Philly does not give Bryant enough respect as a player. The piece was purely about his on-court ability, and I stand by it. At the same time (as Uncle Cholly would say), I'm done thinking that the city has been too hard on him when he's not draining jumpers or rising up for highlight dunks.

All the heat he took back when he said he wanted to cut Philly's heart out seems justified now. All the verbal jabs we landed on his chin, all the booing he absorbed when he'd return to play against the Sixers, it all seems appropriate in retrospect.

Philly is different. It's not like growing up in Omaha or Jacksonville or Raleigh or some other low-rent burgh the natives can't wait to flee. It's a city the locals don't want to leave and can't wait to return to if they do. It's home. A lot of us are fiercely (even myopically) protective of it.

Even though there's a lot of infighting and dysfunction, Philly has a family feel to it. You're either one of us or you're not. It's in the blood - or at least it's supposed to be. Since Kobe is an L.A. guy now, I'll put it in terms Hollywood made famous so he'll understand: You never go against the family.

As far as sports and Bryant's link to Philly go, it's time for the Phanatic to kiss Kobe on the mouth and take him out fishing, Fredo style.

The sad thing about this is that we may never know the real "Kobe".

It is pretty apparent that he just got off on the wrong foot when it came to his personality and image.It's like falling into the friendship zone with a female,but in this case the reverse happened.And there is nothing that can change it or else it is going to become forced and not genuine...

...son is winning but he still can't win.

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Any other cities turn their back on a hometown star? Can't see any athlete from NYC, LA, or Chicago get this type of treatment...
would Tom Brady in Bay Area Count. i know alot of people who hate him
Yup, the bay does not have love for tom brady at ALL.

But back to the topic at hand, Kobe's attitude is the reason why he is so +$*%*!% good. He approaches challenges and haters like no other human being does.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom