The RETRO Gaming Thread!

I’m old so naturally....

Mario 3
Mario 2
Mario 1

I never owned the SNES or N64 because I had moved to other systems by then.The only time I did play Super Mario World was at the kiosk demo inside my local Toys r Us. Was kinda salty because I knew we couldn’t afford the newest system.

Last edited:
I remember those days. I remember wishing for a 64 but not asking because I knew my mom couldn't afford it...so I played at a kiosk at a store.
eventually I saved up and was able to buy a 64 plus Mario 64 but yeah.
I used to have all the video game magazines that talked about "ultra 64" and wish.

i had a friend in elementary school that had smw and i had a video game he wanted to play so we switched. i beat smw by the end of the week. i'd come home from school and play a little every day.

back in the day that's how a lot of us played video games. times were way different than now...we'd borrow each others games for however long and would get them back without anybody making up excuses.

same with video game magazines.

hmzk0e2iqn941.jpg

I purchased an og Xbox at goodwill it came with a couple controllers...however I can’t get any picture I do get sound...is it broken or am I just doing something wrong.

Had the same issue with a Nintendo wii I tested but I ended up figuring it out. Don’t kno what I did tho lol.

doki doki panic would have been a top nes game by itself IMO but i'm glad they did what they did and it became Mario 2 for us.
its been awhile since I played through smb2 japan/lost levels but from memory it felt like smb new game plus or whatever.

I always thought the fact that you could pause the game and Nintendo thought enough to take the melody out but let the song keep playing was fire. grab a starman and immediately press pause. FLAMES.
get to wart and press pause. FLAMES.

fighting tryclyde was dope.
having to go through the bird head every level and then at the end it comes off the wall and you have to fight it was FLAMES. it still is but the first time that happens!!
riding the egg on a whim in that one level and finding out a different area from it was flames.
of course the whole quicksand secret thing.
the crab boss.
the ice world where you slide and duck and jump and all that through the enemies is fire.
that level where most of it is hopping from albatoss to albatoss was fire.
yeah, I love that game and I love the fact that the enemies became mainstays.

I do want Mario 2 included in super Mario maker.

Finding out some 20 years later that Mario 2 was really Doki Doki Panic still doesn’t change my fond memories of the game. It’s fun to play even by today’s standards, it’s aged well.

Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World are top for me, with SMW slightly being better due to being able to navigate the whole map whenever.
They both are unique, in that SMB3 has a variety of items with an item bank, and SMW has Yoshis with different powers. Love the music and visuals, timeless for me. Also love the creativity of the Star world

I grew up on the All-Stars btw. SMB1 and 2 are still great, just more linear. SMB2 has a certain charm to it, but as mentioned above it being a “reskin“, it didn’t feel like it fit in as much

Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World are top for me, with SMW slightly being better due to being able to navigate the whole map whenever.
They both are unique, in that SMB3 has a variety of items with an item bank, and SMW has Yoshis with different powers. Love the music and visuals, timeless for me. Also love the creativity of the Star world

I grew up on the All-Stars btw. SMB1 and 2 are still great, just more linear. SMB2 has a certain charm to it, but as mentioned above it being a “reskin“, it didn’t feel like it fit in as much

Back
Top Bottom