The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

I don't think it's the extra effort for the price but just having different options through their line.

It's quite unique in it's own right with the set bezel and it works for what it's intended for.

the $17.7 million Rolex Daytona, originally owned by Paul Newman

The classic chronograph belonged to the late Paul Newman, bought for him at Tiffany's in 1968 by his wife Joanne Woodward, who had it engraved with the caption: “Drive Carefully Me.”

Newman wore the unique timepiece for 15 years, its unique white dial with black sub-dials and red lettering becoming so legendary that the style, so sought-after by enthusiasts and collectors, became known as the Paul Newman dial.

The actor-turned-racing driver gave the watch to his daughter Nell's boyfriend James Cox in 1984 as a thank-you gift for the restoration he performed on the family property in Connecticut. Cox kept it ever since, but with Nell's blessing, put it up for auction.
rolex-daytona-PN-19.jpg

rolex-daytona-PN-17.jpg

rolex-daytona-PN-11.jpg

I told my jeweler to find me an excellent condition Rolex GMT coke . I wanted one since I saw my Dad show off his beat up Pepsi as a kid

I've been wanting a gold and or rose gold piece for a while now. Budget is around 20k and these seem like the most reasonable. Anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts?? 1435605647.png rolex-yacht-master-116655-34.jpg

Deepsea, Ss ym2, iwc big Pilot
And your sold on RG? I’m not a gold guy (actually in the market for a pp 5726) but I really think rose gold is a trend. Not sure if I’d want that sort of limitation in my watch. That said I tend to buy 40+mm watches (Panerai/Rolex) which is another potentially passing trend, so what do I know.

honestly, I don't think big sizes are a trend these days, people have been saying it for a good decade now and while Jacobs aren't that prominent anymore, biog sizes aren't going anywhere

I still firmly believe you got to try and wear what works best with your wrist

as for rose gold, it seems like he has enough stainless steel so adding an everose to his collection, I personally prefer it over yellow gold especially when combined with a black bezel and/or face

I'm in a similar "predicament" of trying to buy a watch in a precious metal, so I've literally tried on every gold watch imaginable. My thoughts...

The Daytona wears very small. Almost comically small. And there's something sacrilegious, IMO, about rubber and gold. I don't mind the watch, but that particular timepiece is the epitome of a novelty piece and I don’t think history will be too kind to that particular reference in terms of resale and value.

The Royal Oak is a stunning watch and was at the top of my list for a long time. My issues with that watch are as follows:
  1. The dial is boring. I own an SS RO and the nicest part of the watch is the bracelet. Which leads me to point 2…
  2. Royal Oaks belong on a bracelet. The alligator strap is nice, but the distinguishing feature of the RO is the bracelet. It’s almost like putting a Day-Date on a leather strap. Which leads me to point 3…
  3. For a few more dollars, you can get a DD40 which has a gold bracelet, so you’re at least getting a bit more value for your money.
At $20k (or thereabouts), I would look at GMTs (if you like yellow gold and don’t have an issue with a sports watch in a precious metal) or stretch the budget a little further and find a DD40. Personally, I'm waiting for the right deal on a DD40 but in the process of waiting, I'll be saving for a RO chrono on a bracelet.

Good luck!

Appreciate the feedback fellas. I'll take my time & go try on some more pieces before pulling the trigger.

There's so many pieces that i get stuck on with the mentality of "this would be cool to have". Unfortunately i'm not Pras so throwing this out this to you guys helped!

if I were to get something that is all gold, I might just go with a presidential

Anyone ever purchase in Europe and know the procedure as far as taxes & refunds? I'm sure there's something about this already but where would be the cheapest place to purchase? I have a friend in Venice right now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Make your purchase anywhere and basically get your tax back at the last point of exit in the EU. Note: SWITZERLAND IS NOT PART OF THE EU. Just a heads-up if you're flying out of there. Not sure how it is in the UK now.

Just came from Singapore earlier today. The boutique game over there is something else... Great to get a chance to try on some future pieces in consideration. Put my name on a couple of lists just in case. :lol:
23549903_10155402537698736_613199220_n.jpg

23574365_10155402551508736_1337501440_n.jpg

The Richemont-owned IWC boutique had an amazing selection and offered a tempting deal on some pieces. Ended up just buying some new alligator shoes for my BP.
23627101_10155405567308736_1613761724_o.jpg

Found the Overseas Chrono to be chunkier than anticipated. That bracelet was seriously beefy. Makes the RO bracelet feel slender.

Also, blew up my chronograph collection. The three on the left already sold. Considering saving up for something else in the future, but that Traditionelle boutique edition sure was tempting. :lol:Had to take one last family portrait of them together. Missing a Daytona, I know, but Rolex has other plans. Might just move on to something else.
26225588699_2a08495df6_b.jpg

damn that's tough, the Portuguese Chronos one of my favorite, I won't ever let that one go

that double sided AR makes the watch look so crisp, I swear the first time I opened up the box and saw th watch, I though it didn't have a crystal since it was so clear

damn that's tough, the Portuguese Chronos one of my favorite, I won't ever let that one go

that double sided AR makes the watch look so crisp, I swear the first time I opened up the box and saw th watch, I though it didn't have a crystal since it was so clear

Agreed. That piece stands out so much. Quality and craftsmanship by IWC was so on point with it. Definitely the one that got me into IWC. With that said, it's going to a buddy of mine. He wanted it more. That made consolidating much easier. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom