The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

My ROC 41 with the new Sub 41 for size comparison.

27E84A15-7160-4288-A6F3-B80C0A77793F.jpeg

C0E928E7-4FEC-405B-B450-C2AACCFC639F.jpeg

I never minded the lack of taper. But I’m bigger guy.
My understanding is they didnt put the micro adjustments on the clasp though like the glidelock . That seems like a miss imo. All honesty thiugh I don’t really love the old or new speedy bracelet :lol:

If there is one thing Omega needs to do it's to implement that kind of tapering on all their bracelets. And if they could fix the handset on the seamaster I'd definitely pick up one again.

So then I might not look into a seamaster

I want 36mm datejust maybe this year

Just stumbled into this thread. Wifey got me a gold Nixon for Christmas , its nice but you guys are on a different level with the wrist game....

what are some good brands to look at for a starting collectors ? only want a box of about 6.

Just stumbled into this thread. Wifey got me a gold Nixon for Christmas , its nice but you guys are on a different level with the wrist game....

what are some good brands to look at for a starting collectors ? only want a box of about 6.
Why do you want a box of six if you can spend that $600-$1000 or one really nice watch? I would suggest reading up a little on watches as most collectors transition from those that take batteries (quartz) to watches that require no battery (automatic) pretty quickly. One of the best brands to look at when starting off are Seiko as they have a variety of different designs at different price points.

Last edited:
Why do you want a box of six if you can spend that $600-$1000 on one really nice watch? I would suggest reading up a little on watches as most collectors transition from those that take batteries (quartz) to watches that require no battery (automatic) pretty quickly. One of the best brands to look at when starting off are Seiko as they have a variety of different designs at different price points.

box of 6 eventually. Just want a decent rotation of 6 (different colors/style) . Thanks for the recommendation.

If you don’t have the means or desire to jump right into the Swiss juggernauts, start with micro brands or the value stalwarts like Nomos or Seiko. These two especially are common entry points. Something like a tangente, club, 5 series or alpinist can get you far. All of these offer an excellent product that’s capable of scratching the horological itch. Some are even capable of having some secondary value but don’t go into this expecting that.

Nomos
Seiko
Hamilton
Oris
Longines
Baltic
Halios
Unimatic
Autodromo

there’s really no such thing as a “starter” watch or collection though. Someone could just as easilystart their collection with a Patek perpetual calendar piece as they would a quartz.

Much like sneakers, buy what you like
also like sneakers, you need to jump through a lot of hoops for the hyped stuff.

Last edited:

I would recommend these brands as great starrer pieces.

Seiko SKX / 5 Series / Prospex
Orient
Hamilton
Tissot
Casio / G-Shock

It really depends on personal taste and what you are looking for. I would also suggest learning about the movements as some can be tough for a beginner. For example post above says one could start with Patek perpetual, but if you do not set the time and date the correctly on a piece like that you can actually break the movement and would be in for a huge service bill. Learning about servicing is very important when you start spending significant amount as it will help preserve value and keep the piece running well.

On a side not I was finally able to pick up a G-Shock GA-21---1A1 for retail this weekend. I slept on buying for so long and then all of a sudden they were all gone and selling for double retail. Most definitely one of my top 5 for 2020 so very happy to add to my G-Shock stash. Thought about adding the Casioak bezel and bracelet just for fun, but so many low quality ones out there not sure I want to risk it.

Back
Top Bottom