The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Thinking about picking up a royal oak, but can’t figure out where to try one on. Just want to see what one looks like on my wrist before picking it up.

^ ^ ^
what city are you on?

AP website probably has a list of ADs which can be searched by your zip code where you can probably call ahead of time to make sure the watch you want to check out is in store

xc6j46.jpg

I think I wore mine a little too tight the other day.

how do you not feel that after a few seconds of wear? it bugs the hell out of me when the watch is too tight, like when the watch has no budge, feels lik emy wrist are instantly sweating

Pinky’s width is perfect for me. Since it’s the summer, I need to go to the next hole around mid day.

^ ^ ^
what city are you on?

AP website probably has a list of ADs which can be searched by your zip code where you can probably call ahead of time to make sure the watch you want to check out is in store

Tried searching on their website, but I’m in dc and it said closest place is philly which is 2.5 hours away

damn that sucks, i was going to suggest Tourneu but I don't think they are an AP AD (as weird as that sounds) but might have used ones in-store though never a guarrantee

I am not sure how far Maryland is exactly where you're at but Alan Furman might be your best bet?

I’ll give both of those a call and see. If I was buying from an AD, I’d have no problem driving to philly, but I’m going to end up buying used so it feels like a long *** drive just to see a watch and drive back home.

^ ^ ^
what city are you on?

how do you not feel that after a few seconds of wear? it bugs the hell out of me when the watch is too tight, like when the watch has no budge, feels lik emy wrist are instantly sweating

Happened over the course of a busy day in the OR so I really didn’t notice at all

Tried searching on their website, but I’m in dc and it said closest place is philly which is 2.5 hours away

Damn, none at Tyson’s? I’d assumed lenkersdorfer carried them since they also carry Patek.

Crazy that there’s nowhere in the district that has AP

Thoughts on the new OP? Thinking of one as an everyday kind of piece

Assuming you're talking about the white dial 114300... it's pretty clean. Good daily piece.

Looking at picking up a 15400st as well soon. Just got to get rid of another piece first :lol:

Damn, none at Tyson’s? I’d assumed lenkersdorfer carried them since they also carry Patek.

Crazy that there’s nowhere in the district that has AP

Yeah that’s the first place I went. I messaged a watch dealer in Miami and he offered me $8k for my Batman. Better than the $7k I got offered locally. Might end up going down there and seeing if they have anything I can trade and put cash toward.

First Rolex/luxury watch!! Datejust ref.116200. I'm super happy with it. The way it cups my wrist just feels amazing. Anyway, here's a photo. I tried to take a photo with it on but they all came out looking weird. These were the best I could do.

IMG_9594_zpsq41b0vpm.jpg~original.jpg
IMG_9600_zpsfxbf2p2g.jpg~original.jpg
IMG_9599_zpspfalxjud.jpg~original.jpg
Beauty can never go wrong with a clean Date Just.

Thoughts on the new OP? Thinking of one as an everyday kind of piece

one of the cleanest daily watch for the buck and someone correct me but i believe they are more open to discounts on it because it's not exactly a "sports watch"

i've been itching for something and i've been looking at the 116234-0080 (silver face, baton index, fluted bezel with jubilee bracelet) but I am afraid to go to the AD because if they offer it for ~$6k, I might not be able to resist

i wish the rhodium dial comes with baton index, the 41mm does iirc

now if Rolex still offered the OP with a fluted bezel again then it's a no-brainer for me since i like the cleaner look of no-date

but if you think you're going to miss the date function, 116234 or 126334 are great options

No issues wearing your watch as far as cleanliness in a OR setting?
im not a surgeon so no issues for me at all. If I do have to scrub or be sterile for something I take my watch off. Plus I wash/purell constantly...big reason I wouldn’t get a PM piece for daily wear

just wanted to share a couple of super cheap alternatives i've recently got

first up is the Seiko Solar, surprisingly nice tank-style watch in person
it's a quartz watch but Seiko solar quartz so you really just have to keep the face in some sort of light and it'll be powered up and the movements made in Japan iirc
seiko solar 1.jpg

it's a decent alternative to those who wants to see how a tank style watch works for their wrist (they tend to look bigger once on) and it's running for around $11 on Amazon
seiko v cartier.jpg

next one is the one I mentioned in the last page, the Timex Marlin
this watch is much better in person, the domed sapphire is very nice and creates this unique concaved look to the dial
it's handwound movement isn't the best but for the price and vintage look offered, it's hard to find an alternative for the price without going with something with a chinese name on the dial
timex marlin 1.jpg

the watch is definitely small at 34mm and looks even smaller because of the thinned lugs but if a 36mm OP works for you, I think you can make this work too though it might still take some getting used to
timex v rolex.jpg

for around ~$150, if you're wrist can accommodate such a size then it is a good entry-level to the watch world and experience hand wound watches (if you have the patience to spend 60 second a day to wind it)
the watch feels and looks more expensive that it really is and if Timex brings more vintage style watch where some have a history with and attach a hand-wound or even automatic movement in it (albeit some cheap chinese version) and they will make a killing
the Marlin actually sold out first time around and was reselling for double to triple retail so I wouldn't be surprised if Timex is looking on releasing something similar in the future, maybe with a bigger case?
went ahead and added a $10 milanese bracelet from amazon and feels like the watch cost a lot more that it really does and looks more vintage-y(?)
timex marlin 2.jpg

Thanks for the post! I have that seiko “tank”, it looks good on brown straps as well. I wear it with suits or a nice solid sweater.

yah i think the yellow gold will work well with a brown strap

do you remember what width the lugs are? it looks like it might be 22mm or bigger

it also needs a thinner/flatter strap but I don't really want to spend more than $20 for a strap for it

Back
Top Bottom