The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

looks like he tried to polish it himself

the cyclops does look weird but it could also be just the angle

Thanks Prime and RFX. Can one of you provide the Rolex thread link. I can’t find it for some reason.

Really appreciate the help.

when the magnifier looks off couldn't it just mean that the watch has an aftermarket crystal that was poorly made?

if that was the case then the seller has to disclose that and that is just more reason to be more suspect of the watch, you want as much original part on the watch as possible

if the crystal broke then you got to bring it to a rolex service center and have it replaced by them and have it serviced as well and you can use that documentation as proof of authenticity

magic872, which rolex thread? is there one on nt?

I wouldn’t buy this watch based on these pics.

Meet up at a Rolex dealer and have them authenticate it for you.

E45723D7-89CE-4CC7-918C-F3D5561E14F5.jpeg E45723D7-89CE-4CC7-918C-F3D5561E14F5.jpeg 162F12A2-B3D3-411A-A034-FE41A253651C.jpeg 894DE2D7-087C-4D04-8FDE-C2347C694375.jpeg 9BBBC412-50DD-4F94-B3D7-7261DF57FEE8.jpeg CE52D6E2-EEC7-4201-AD57-8F2633260F4F.jpeg Hey fam I am new to this thread and desperately need your help in figuring out if this Rolex is authentic. From what the owner has told me the submariner is from the 80’s lacks paper work, box and original band.

Does it look authentic and what would be a good price?

Thank you in advance.

Anyone wanna post up some character scars on their timepieces? Maybe it’ll make some of us feel better about ours lol.

E45723D7-89CE-4CC7-918C-F3D5561E14F5.jpeg E45723D7-89CE-4CC7-918C-F3D5561E14F5.jpeg 162F12A2-B3D3-411A-A034-FE41A253651C.jpeg 894DE2D7-087C-4D04-8FDE-C2347C694375.jpeg 9BBBC412-50DD-4F94-B3D7-7261DF57FEE8.jpeg CE52D6E2-EEC7-4201-AD57-8F2633260F4F.jpeg Hey fam I am new to this thread and desperately need your help in figuring out if this Rolex is authentic. From what the owner has told me the submariner is from the 80’s lacks paper work, box and original band.

Thank you in advance.

Even if that watch is authentic, I’d run. The bracelet makes it look extremely fake to begin with, and even a Rolex dealer wouldn’t want to touch it to even authenticate it. It would involve opening the case back which no dealer wants to do, especially not for free. Go to an independent watchmaker if anything. Too much going on with this piece and it has been downright disrespected. The bracelet does look true to the era, my first Rolex was an 80s sub—but it looks like it’s been wet sanded or polished with a polishing cloth. Definitely not with a buffing wheel. It may be an aftermarket bracelet, but it can pass as legit. It isn’t too late to bring it back to its original finish. Based off of that, I can say with ease it hasn’t been serviced properly. If the bracelet couldn’t make it 30 years there’s no reason why the crystal would. I’m sure it’s been replaced, possibly multiple times. I sold my 80s bluesy sub for like 4K without original paperwork if that helps and went on to a yacht master 40mm. This was back in 2011 and I doubt prices have changed much on them. (Which is a good thing for the owners). All this being said, the watch can be rehabilitated but as a first Rolex it’s up to you if you want your first experience to be a chore. Some people are up for it, others aren’t.

Last edited:
Even if that watch is authentic, I’d run. The bracelet makes it look extremely fake to begin with, and even a Rolex dealer wouldn’t want to touch it to even authenticate it. It would involve opening the case back which no dealer wants to do, especially not for free. Go to an independent watchmaker if anything. Too much going on with this piece and it has been downright disrespected. The bracelet does look true to the era, my first Rolex was an 80s sub—but it looks like it’s been wet sanded or polished with a polishing cloth. Definitely not with a buffing wheel. It may be an aftermarket bracelet, but it can pass as legit. It isn’t too late to bring it back to its original finish. Based off of that, I can say with ease it hasn’t been serviced properly. If the bracelet couldn’t make it 30 years there’s no reason why the crystal would. I’m sure it’s been replaced, possibly multiple times. I sold my 80s bluesy sub for like 4K without original paperwork if that helps and went on to a yacht master 40mm. This was back in 2011 and I doubt prices have changed much on them. (Which is a good thing for the owners). All this being said, the watch can be rehabilitated but as a first Rolex it’s up to you if you want your first experience to be a chore. Some people are up for it, others aren’t.
Wear rare thank you for all that information. I definitely do not want to go through all of that.

I am extremely thankful for everyone’s input.

it depends on your wrist size but a sub or an explorer is always a safe bet

the lines between business and casual in terms of watches are really blurred these days, i'd probably consider something in formal events where a tux might be necessary but overall those two could be worn with almost everything else

For those that leave their watches in their gym lockers be cautious. A buddy of mine had his brand new DJ2 swiped from his locker a few month ago at an Equinox in midtown. Nothing but the watch was taken. These gyms provide their own padlock on their lockers. My guess is it was an inside job.

I’m going to go with an explorer, I just don’t feel “right” spending that money at the moment as I just had a second child. I think I’ll save all the money in spend on nonsense for a few years and buy then.

I’m going to go with an explorer, I just don’t feel “right” spending that money at the moment as I just had a second child. I think I’ll save all the money in spend on nonsense for a few years and buy then.

grats on the new baby and some commemorate the child birth with a new timepiece... :smile:

For those that leave their watches in their gym lockers be cautious. A buddy of mine had his brand new DJ2 swiped from his locker a few month ago at an Equinox in midtown. Nothing but the watch was taken. These gyms provide their own padlock on their lockers. My guess is it was an inside job.

I’m an equinox member, but I go to clubs in Los Angeles. One of the clubs I go to let’s you use your own lock, but the rest as you said are on the lockers themselves. I’ve always wondered about this, all the maintenance crew members are able to open them. I’ve locked myself out more than once and with a simple turn of a key those guys have access. I haven’t had an issue though, but maybe I should start using an Apple Watch at the gym. I would always see this guy too with a rose gold 5711 on while working out and thought he was just flexing. Guess not.

I’m an equinox member, but I go to clubs in Los Angeles. One of the clubs I go to let’s you use your own lock, but the rest as you said are on the lockers themselves. I’ve always wondered about this, all the maintenance crew members are able to open them. I’ve locked myself out more than once and with a simple turn of a key those guys have access. I haven’t had an issue though, but maybe I should start using an Apple Watch at the gym. I would always see this guy too with a rose gold 5711 on while working out and thought he was just flexing. Guess not.

i've had times where i locked myself out and the maintenance workers would just open up a lock for me, no questions asked. Definitely sus...
Heres an article i found on the incident.
https://abc7ny.com/trio-of-thieves-wanted-for-stealing-luxury-watches-from-nyc-gyms/3755415/

Thank you in advance.
Hey FAM, just an update. I met the seller at a Rolex dealer and they told me the watch is authentic. I left the watch with Rolex to get serviced. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back
Top Bottom