The U.... vol. Death Penalty?

I hate to say this but I think the "Death Penalty" is possible. As someone stated, this is only the beginning. More info(dirt) will come out. Even though The U is a big program its not a favored program like Alabama or Notre Dame and some others. Honestly, I can't say I'm surprised by this. Its been rumored that this has been going on at The U for decades. I was really looking forward to this season. This will be a big distraction.
30t6p3b.gif

"You can't spell SMU without "The U"
laugh.gif

Those tweets were great on Sportscenter earlier..

"When Ohio State & Miami play this year it should be called the "ineligibowl"

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That article and what is said about Dee..... right on. Gonna be a blood bath.[/color]

I don't think they'll get the death penalty, but as much as the NCAA has been scrutinized for turing their heads away from things, or not
being harsh enough, it's not out of the question that they wouldn't try to make an example of them, regardless of they're a major program
or not.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

I don't think they'll get the death penalty, but as much as the NCAA has been scrutinized for turing their heads away from things, or not
being harsh enough, it's not out of the question that they wouldn't try to make an example of them, regardless of they're a major program
or not.

Yeah I can see that. NCAA would be making a statement with that.  
I love how the only clip of this dude they are showing is him in a Rolle jersey and it doesn't even look like he's allowed to be there.. like a crazed fan 
laugh.gif

[h1]For NCAA to survive, it can't give Miami death penalty[/h1] [table][/table]/sports.cbsimg.net/images/cbss/ui5/authors/70x60/8450.jpg")">http://sports.cbsimg.net/...rs/70x60/8450.jpg") no-repeat scroll left top white; height: 60px;" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

By Gregg Doyel
CBSSports.com National Columnist

Aug. 17, 2011

Obviously Miami deserves the death penalty for football. Just as obviously, Miami won't get what it deserves because the NCAA is too scared to do it.

That's my position, and it's based on two suppositions -- suppositions I'm more than comfortable making. Supposition One: The crux of Yahoo's Pulitzer-caliber reporting on Miami's decade of decadence is correct. Supposition Two: The primary source of that report, former Miami booster Nevin Shapiro, is telling mostly the truth. I don't need every accusation out of his mouth to be true to write the first sentence of this story. If every other accusation out of his mouth is true -- heck, if every fourth accusation out of his mouth is true -- I stand by my first sentence:

Obviously Miami deserves the death penalty for football.

Obviously.

This is SMU's Pony Expre$$ plus Southern California/Reggie Bush multiplied by Ohio State and Jim Tressel. This is the trifecta of taint, is what I'm saying. It's as bad a scandal as anything we've ever seen in college sports. Have there been dirtier situations than this one at Miami? Possibly. Heck, I'll go so far as to say probably. But we don't know about those.

We know about this one.

And this one's bad. The worst I've ever seen. It's player after player -- 72 in all! -- being plied with cash and prostitutes and more, much more. And, according to Yahoo's reporting and Nevin Shapiro's big mouth, it was done with the knowledge of a handful of Miami coaches. So like I said, this is SMU plus Reggie Bush multiplied by Jim Tressel.

Which means this is a death-penalty territory.

Obviously.

But the NCAA won't do it. Just you watch -- it won't happen. And when it doesn't happen, this is why:

The NCAA knows the entire structure of college sports is teetering on the edge of the abyss. One wrong move -- Texas A&M to the SEC ... or the death penalty to a football powerhouse -- could push the whole thing off the cliff. And when it goes, it won't be just the Big 12 and the ACC that go down. The NCAA will go down with it.

See, as I told you in April 2010 -- and as everyone else is saying now -- the end game for all of this conference realignment is a 64-team field of BCS schools. Four conferences of 16 teams, breaking away from the NCAA to form their own league so they can keep all the TV money. At the highest level of college sports there would be no need for schools in the MAC or the Mountain West or Conference USA, so there would be no need for the NCAA.

And the NCAA knows it.

The NCAA isn't some corporate robot. It's a company run by hundreds of people -- good people -- who want their job. And lots of them wouldn't have a job if the 64 biggest schools in America break away and form their own super-structure. Whatever NCAA was left behind to manage the mid-majors of the world, well, it wouldn't be nearly as big as the NCAA that sits there in Indianapolis today.

Which brings us back to Miami, and to other NCAA sanctions administered in recent years. You know how the punishment never seems to fit the crime anymore in college sports? This is why -- the NCAA doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds it. Because that hand might just bite back.

The NCAA doesn't control college sports, not really. The NCAA is more like a snake-charmer, trying to keep the cobra at bay without getting bitten. One wrong move, and the cobra lashes out. Goodbye, snake-charmer.

Give Miami the death penalty? Goodbye, NCAA.

If Miami goes down like SMU went down in the late 1980s, falling so hard that it still hasn't gotten up, other schools around the country wouldn't abide by it -- because some day it could happen to them. And that's not a risk they want to take, not since what happened to Miami could happen anywhere that a booster has enough money, charm and apathy toward the rules to do what Nevin Shapiro says he did at Miami.

The NCAA knows its biggest schools wouldn't condone the death penalty, or even harsh penalties designed to deter cheaters. That's why UConn basketball was slapped on the wrist for the awful Jim Calhoun stuff. It's why Tennessee and Ohio State will be slapped on the wrist for the blatant lying -- about NCAA violations -- of their head coaches. It's why Southern California had superstars in football and basketball receiving large benefits, but lived to tell about it. Because the NCAA wants to punish cheaters, yes, but not so severely that the cheaters take their ball and go find another home.

So if there's good news for Miami football, there you go: This was the right time in the history of college sports to get busted. It's up to the paternal NCAA to give out a spanking, but Daddy won't spank too hard.

He knows the kids might just run away.

Miami would never get the death penalty in this day and age they generate to much money with tv contracts

Originally Posted by CP1708

That Doyel article is interesting.  64 team walk out.  That's crazy. 
eek.gif
It's an interesting theory, but I can imagine it possibly happening.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

the U will never be a premier program for a long time after this imo.

They haven't been for years, so nothing will change.

I'm saying
laugh.gif

and it's not like they were doing big things the upcoming or the next few seasons.

If they get something, It won't hurt them.

And this is why I have a major problem with college sports. These situations are what takes away a ton of credibility from college sports.

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

"You can't spell SMU without "The U"
laugh.gif

Those tweets were great on Sportscenter earlier..

"When Ohio State & Miami play this year it should be called the "ineligibowl"

I lol'd when I saw that.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Classic case of a loser trying to buy friends....these players didn't give 2 %$#@ about the dude. Used him for their money....while he was using them for their "celebrity." He's scum. Straight up. Miami is in some SERIOUS %$#@. If he ever gets out of prison, he better relocate.

huh
nerd.gif
you should prob read it again...

scandal is ugly...everybody knows stuff like this goes on but when it becomes so public somebody has to answer for it...should be interesting to watch
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Kingtre

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Classic case of a loser trying to buy friends....these players didn't give 2 %$#@ about the dude. Used him for their money....while he was using them for their "celebrity." He's scum. Straight up. Miami is in some SERIOUS %$#@. If he ever gets out of prison, he better relocate.

huh
nerd.gif
you should prob read it again...

scandal is ugly...everybody knows stuff like this goes on but when it becomes so public somebody has to answer for it...should be interesting to watch
nerd.gif
What am I missing here?  He is a loser.  From the jump, he wanted "in" w. Miami...and now that the #+++ hit the fan, he's bringing down everything.  If those players actually cared about this man, some of this #+++ would have never seen the light of day.  SOME.  He feels slighted....and probably used. 

That Doyel article was impressive. The NCAA has been backed into a corner with no hope for salvaging their image unless they believe those 64 schools won't walk or they're willing to risk it. I hate to admit it, but I think Doyel is right, there's no way the NCAA punishes the U with the death penalty.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I need to watch the 30 for 30 on SMU is it possible to do this online?

My whole view on college sports changed after watching that. Sh!# is crazy.
eek.gif
laugh.gif
Even for the U this is ugly. These schools don't give a damn about the rules(even though there bs).

NYC needs top get up on this. I'm in there. Have these dudes come to Dykman or Pro City. It's a wrap

ESPN
smile.gif

Drew Rosenhaus' name is starting to be linked to Shapiro now. They were friends so now the rumors are starting to flow....

This is just getting uglier.

[h1]Rule breaking is an institutional problem, not isolated to Miami[/h1]Michael Rosenberg- CNNSI

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/08/17/miami/index.html#ixzz1VK5i5HNG

Nevin Shapiro basically paid for an eight-year party for anybody who was anybody in the Miami football program. Read the excellent Yahoo! Sports report and it's obvious. Nobody stopped Shapiro. Evidently, nobody tried, despite obvious signs that something was amiss. Cash payments, alcohol, strippers, hookers -- no wonder the Hurricanes haven't won much lately. They're exhausted.

The violations are so over-the-top, so blatant and widespread, that by the time you're done reading about them, you may reach the same conclusion I did: The people at Miami didn't care about the rules.

I don't mean they didn't care about right and wrong. I mean, that it didn't seem like a matter of right and wrong. I would bet that most of the players didn't think they were cheating. Oh, they might have known what they were doing was against the rules. But did they ever think Miami was getting some kind of competitive advantage? Did they think it was wrong? I doubt it.

And if people don't care about the rules, how do you stop them from breaking the rules. Should you even try? Most of the Miami violations fall under the NCAA rules about "extra benefits." The principle is that athletes should not get benefits that are not available to other students.

But what if the NCAA flipped that around? What if the NCAA decided that if regular students can take free drinks and meals without anybody caring, athletes should be allowed to do that too?

The current cycle is absurd and pointless: Athletes take what they can get. Schools ignore it. Unless an excellent reporter like Charles Robinson of Yahoo! looks into it, or a booster gets in legal trouble (as Shapiro did), nothing happens.

I won't say everybody cheats. I don't believe that. A lot of people have a fundamental inclination to follow rules, either out of guilt or a fear of getting caught.

But college sports, at their core, have nothing to do with amateurism. I mean that in a very practical sense. Players choose schools for education or playing time or because they like the coaches or the helmets. They work out and practice and study and party. Coaches watch film and recruit and put together game plans and punt on fourth-and-1 when they should go for it.

Nobody gets into sports because they have a passion for players not getting paid. They are certainly players who believe in following rules, but that doesn't mean they believe in the rules themselves.

There are coaches, like Jim Tressel, who care about many of their players and still choose to cheat. And there are coaches who care about their players and choose not to cheat. There are players who excel in school and take money from boosters and agents. And there are players who skip class, barely stay eligible, never graduate and don't take a dime.

This isn't like a restaurant complying with the health department or a construction company sticking to building codes. Those are safety issues. It's more like if I hired you as an airline pilot and I said "In addition to adhering to safety standards, you cannot accept any free golf lessons, drink bourbon or eat pistachios. If we catch you doing that, you're fired."

I'm sure some people would avoid the free golf lessons, the bourbon and the pistachios, just because they didn't want to get fired. Others would surreptitiously grab an occasional pistachio, eat it quickly, then feel terribly guilty about breaking the rule. And some others would say "To hell with it" and wash down their pistachios with bourbon while taking their free golf lessons. But none of it would have anything to do with flying a plane.

This is how many, many college athletes view the NCAA's amateurism rules. They might follow them. They might not. But they don't passionately believe in the rules.

How could they? How could they possibly think the NCAA has their best interests at heart? This is an organization that requires players to not only miss one or two days of class for every week of the NCAA tournament, but also requires them to miss an additional day just for press conferences and open practices in front of fans. This benefits me professionally, but I would never in a million years argue that it is in the best interest of players. It's about marketing. Does the NCAA think players don't realize that?

The extremes of the Miami case should show you how preposterous this entire enterprise is. Former Miami athletic director Paul Dee is the chair of the NCAA's Committee on Infractions. He either didn't care, or didn't know, about some of the most blatant extra benefits in NCAA history. Heck, Shapiro, had official ties to the University of Miami athletic department and owned part of a sports agency. That alone should have set off the loudest alarms in South Florida. NCAA cases are about plausible deniability -- we didn't know, we could have known, the head coach didn't know, it was the assistant director of associate something-or-other's fault, kids these days are nutty, please be nice to us, etc. Miami has no plausible deniability here.

The Hurricanes, from AD to compliance officers to players, just decided they didn't much care for the rules. And if Shapiro had made his money in real estate or through legitimate investments, instead of through a Ponzi scheme, he would probably still be throwing his party.

Should Miami get hit with severe penalties? Yes, absolutely. Rules are rules, and breaking them is cheating. But at what point do we realize that this is all a needless charade? Why is the NCAA in the business of keeping players poor? (They're not all poor, of course. But some are.)

Florida State fans have not laughed this hard since Florida hired Ron Zook. I get that. Part of the fun of sports is watching your rivals embarrass themselves. But who are we kidding? Florida State and Miami recruit so many of the same players. Do people really think Miami got the ones who don't know right from wrong? Or that FSU got the ones who believe they have an ethical obligation to follow every single rule?

Do we think Miami had the single rogue booster who got a thrill out of partying with players?

For that matter, forget about sports for a second. How many college students turn down free booze? How many 20-year-old heterosexual males tell attractive women to go away? I'm absolutely not condoning drinking to excess or prostitution. I just don't see why this should be an NCAA issue.

The NCAA can hit Miami hard, but it has no chance to stop this from happening at other schools. None. Heck, as we've seen, the NCAA can't even stop it from happening at the same school repeatedly.

There may be societies where young people do not want alcohol, sex or material goods, but this is not one of them. You can educate people about drinking, drug use, safe sex, all of that. But why does the NCAA get to stand in judgment of students at the University of Miami who partied too much and took cash from a guy who was desperate to give it to them?

More than anything, this is what has me shaking my head: When Miami fired coach Randy Shannon last fall, there was some brief outrage because Shannon was widely regarded as one of the good guys in the profession. His players graduated. He had the third-best Academic Progress Rate of any coach in the nation. Isn't this what our institutions of higher learning are supposed to do? Educate?

Shannon's tenure will now be regarded as a renegade era of rule-breaking. Miami succeeded in the realm that should matter, but completely failed in the realm that the NCAA has decided matters more.

But after the Hurricanes get hit with sanctions, a new wave of recruits will come in, and it is foolish to think that those recruits will suddenly have a higher regard for the NCAA's rules than the last 30 years of recruits did. The idea of the amateur student-athlete is charming and appealing, in its way, but as this Yahoo! report shows, many people who are actually supposed to be amateur student-athletes find it silly. NCAA officers can enact a bunch of rules and give some great speeches. But they can't change that.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/08/17/miami/index.html#ixzz1VK5Txebn

I think the death penalty is the only solution here. Yahoo Sports did a hell of a job gathering pictures, receipts, evidence of what they were doing and when they were doing it. That whole article was like turning in a end of the semester research paper knowing you covered everything possible.

I also think the death penalty is the only way to deal with this, if everything in the article is proven to be true. There's no other way around it.

The NCAA really needs to find a way to clean this stuff up...there is no easy solution, but they need to find a way to clean things up.

Back
Top Bottom