The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

Yo Nters. I'm in Buenos Aires and tomorrow I will be at the Racing Club vs. Boca Juniors match.

Its an understatement to say, but football is king here. Yesterday 8 channels stopped their regularly planned program to show the press conference of Juan Roman Riquelme
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
The entire point of his news conference was to announce he has reached a new agreement with Boca
pimp.gif

Its crazy. I'll post pictures of the game and the FINE Argentine women.

Just posted this on fanscribe.net. EPL Preview. Argue away.

http://fanscribe.net/?p=302

[h1]
[h1]Soccer is back, and not a moment too soon.[/h1]

If you’re a soccer fan, World Cup years are a blessing in disguise. Yes, the world’s biggest sporting event is the highest expression of soccer excellence, but after it’s over it leaves us feeling a little withdrawal syndrome. Thankfully, just over a month after Spain rose to glory in South Africa, the English Premier League is back. After a fun summer in the tranfers department, the ball will start rolling again. Here’s our prediction on how the season will play out.

1. Manchester United.

ManU came thisclose to taking home the title last year, and used the summer to upgrade significantly at striker with the signing of Mexican sensation Chicharito Hernández. I believe Sir Alex Ferguson’s squad would have come in first place last year had Wayne Rooney not missed a crucial stretch due to a string of nagging injuries. The defense should improve, and locker room chemistry will be enhanced thanks to Nemanja Vidic’s contract dispute coming to an end and Ryan Giggs’ anti-Chelsea tirade rallying the team, making for a perfect environment for the Red Devils to claim the title.

2. Chelsea.

The current champs suffered few losses during the transfer window, but one of them was crucial. Without German midfielder Michael Ballack, the Blues become a faster team but also lose a portion of their trademark control of the middle third of the field. The offense remains formidable with Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Salomon Kalou likely to account for 50+ goals. The recent signing of Brazilian sensation Neymar is very positive, but the former Santos forward isn’t yet ready to produce consistently. On the other hand, if the defense needs time to adjust to Ballack’s absence Carlo Ancelotti’s troops might drop a few points early on that will be very tough to get back.

3. Manchester City.

Count me among those who find the Citizens ready to make the leap. Roberto Mancini had a full preseason to work out the kinks in his system, and the signings of Toure Yaya and David Silva in particular will give immediate returns. The Spaniard is Robinho minus the attitude, while the Côte d’Ivoire midfielder is a fantastic link between the offense and defense, providing heady playmaking and a tough attitude that will quickly endear him to City of Manchester fans.

4. Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger’s squad gets even younger with the formidable additions of Laurent Koscielny and Marouane Chamakh, but the Gunners’ title window remains closed. It will be a joy to watch Arsenal attack, but opponents will also be thrilled to face a defense that promises to be very inconsistent now that Sol Campbell is no longer around to provide very valuable leadership that the youngsters will sorely need against top-flight competition.

5. Liverpool.

I was ready to place Liverpool back in the Top 4, but the more than likely departure of Javier Mascherano made me think twice. Still, Liverpool fans can look forward to a much more enjoyable season than last year’s, with Roy Hodgson endorsing an attractive style of play and newcomers Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic blending in seamlessly with Steve Gerrard and Fernando Torres. Spanish youngster Daniel Pacheco could be a very pleasant surprise.

6. Tottenham Hotspur.

This two-spot drop doesn’t respond to a lack of faith in Harry Redknapp’s squad, but rather to my doubts regarding the roster’s response to their UCL challenges. Newcomers to the Champions League have a tough adjustment to make to the heightened level of in-week competition, and Tottenham’s lack of offseason moves could prove costly early on.

7. Everton.

The Toffees won’t be far from their city rivals if the second half of last season is any indication. Adding Jermaine Beckford and a healthy Mikel Arteta to a squad that already features Tim Cahill and Steven Pienaar will make for a lot of pretty play, and if the defense holds up Everton will be a very tough out.

8. Fulham.

Despite the sudden loss of Philippe Senderos to a severe injury, I believe Fulham will build on last year’s Europa League success and take advantage of fresher legs to make a leap forward in the EPL standings. Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora will be heavily featured in a knifing attack that could gain an extraordinary boost with the possible addition of ManCity’s Craig Bellamy, while the defense is scrappy enough. If Fulham keeps true to their home form of last season, a return to Europe might not be farfetched.

9. Sunderland.

Steve Bruce turned his club’s offices into a revolving door this summer, but it appears that those coming in (especially Cristian Riveros) will fit the American’s system better than last year’s pieces. Nedum Onuoha has the potential to be a defensive stalwart opposite of Paulo da Silva, while volume striker Darren Bent should be very excited with Riveros’ passing ability. An improvement in last year’s putrid form away from the Stadium of Light will solidify Sunderland’s presence in the upper half of the EPL standings.

10. Aston Villa.

The likely departure of James Milner definitely hurts Villa’s prospects, but it’s Kevin O’Neill calling it quits that will have the deeper impact in the Villains’ drop in the standings. It’s hard to believe that Villa management would be so inactive during the summer given that the squad was clearly just a couple tweaks away from contending for a Top 4 spot, and now Villa Park faithful may very well be in for a clunker of a season.

11. Birmingham City.

The bad news is that teams won’t be caught off-guard by this modest squad. The good news is that Birmingham has added a strong scoring presence in La Liga veteran Nikola Zigic and a proven goalkeeper in Ben Foster to make another run at the Top 10. Times won’t be as good in Saint Andrew’s as they were last year, but the drop-off will hardly be felt.

12. West Ham.

After agonizing to avoid relegation last year, West Ham will look to rebound and has the pieces in place to do so. Avram Grant’s strategy won’t dazzle the Upton Park faithful,  but opponents will not look forward to his direct style of play. Summer additions Pablo Barrera and Frederic Piquionne will show flashes of brilliance, but it will be the collective tactics that will keep Hammers fans from suffering.

13. Bolton Wanderers.

New manager Owen Coyle favors an aesthetically pleasing game, and former Citizen Martin Petrov has all the tools to translate Coyle’s tactics onto the field. Bolton fans won’t see a big improvement in the standings, but they’ll enjoy their run to mediocrity more than they usually do.

14. Stoke City.

It’s only been two years, but Stoke City has the makings of an EPL mainstay. A predictable style of play and a no-nonsense roster will allow Tony Pulis’ men to hold on to their place in the top-flight, but signing Loic Remy (likely to end up in Seville) would have boosted Stoke’s chances to fight for a Top 10 spot that now appears utopic.

15. Newcastle.

Looking at the roster, it’s incredible to think that such a loaded side could underperform as badly as the Magpies did two seasons ago. While I don’t expect Chris Hughton’s club to be anywhere near the top of the standings, a solid defense rich in experience and hungry players such as Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan up front should allow Newcastle to comfortably remain in the EPL.

16. Blackburn Rovers.

When your two strikers combine for 12 goals in a season, you know good and well you need to get help in that department. When you go through the offseason and don’t manage to fill that need, you know the upcoming season won’t be too memorable. Sam Allardyce is in for a rough year as a roster that seems to have peaked will have the fight to avoid relegation as its only realistic goal.

17. West Bromwich Albion.

Many expect Roberto di Matteo’s squad to play a very engaging style that will ultimately prove to be their downfall, but I disagree. Despite the fact that West Brom’s personnel hardly enjoys a talent overdose, Di Matteo’s gritty personality will show in  a system designed to please fans while remaining solid enough around midfield to launch the counterattack at a frequent rate against top competition. Most years, that can be enough to save your EPL spot.

18. Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Much like with Blackburn Rovers, the Wolves suffered from a scoring draught last year that could have doomed them. This season’s squad is boosted up front by former Burnley striker Steven Fletcher, but unless the entire team can find an extra offensive gear Mick McCarthy’s men may not make it to a third straght EPL season,

19. Wigan Athletic.

It’s a wonder that a team could give up 79 goals and not be relegated, but Bob Martínez’s squad pulled it off last year. The Latics are going into the 2010-2011 season with a rather shallow defensive line and no significant additions, and as the old saying goes, “if you play with fire you will get burnt
[/h1]

Just posted this on fanscribe.net. EPL Preview. Argue away.

http://fanscribe.net/?p=302

[h1]
[h1]Soccer is back, and not a moment too soon.[/h1]

If you’re a soccer fan, World Cup years are a blessing in disguise. Yes, the world’s biggest sporting event is the highest expression of soccer excellence, but after it’s over it leaves us feeling a little withdrawal syndrome. Thankfully, just over a month after Spain rose to glory in South Africa, the English Premier League is back. After a fun summer in the tranfers department, the ball will start rolling again. Here’s our prediction on how the season will play out.

1. Manchester United.

ManU came thisclose to taking home the title last year, and used the summer to upgrade significantly at striker with the signing of Mexican sensation Chicharito Hernández. I believe Sir Alex Ferguson’s squad would have come in first place last year had Wayne Rooney not missed a crucial stretch due to a string of nagging injuries. The defense should improve, and locker room chemistry will be enhanced thanks to Nemanja Vidic’s contract dispute coming to an end and Ryan Giggs’ anti-Chelsea tirade rallying the team, making for a perfect environment for the Red Devils to claim the title.

2. Chelsea.

The current champs suffered few losses during the transfer window, but one of them was crucial. Without German midfielder Michael Ballack, the Blues become a faster team but also lose a portion of their trademark control of the middle third of the field. The offense remains formidable with Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Salomon Kalou likely to account for 50+ goals. The recent signing of Brazilian sensation Neymar is very positive, but the former Santos forward isn’t yet ready to produce consistently. On the other hand, if the defense needs time to adjust to Ballack’s absence Carlo Ancelotti’s troops might drop a few points early on that will be very tough to get back.

3. Manchester City.

Count me among those who find the Citizens ready to make the leap. Roberto Mancini had a full preseason to work out the kinks in his system, and the signings of Toure Yaya and David Silva in particular will give immediate returns. The Spaniard is Robinho minus the attitude, while the Côte d’Ivoire midfielder is a fantastic link between the offense and defense, providing heady playmaking and a tough attitude that will quickly endear him to City of Manchester fans.

4. Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger’s squad gets even younger with the formidable additions of Laurent Koscielny and Marouane Chamakh, but the Gunners’ title window remains closed. It will be a joy to watch Arsenal attack, but opponents will also be thrilled to face a defense that promises to be very inconsistent now that Sol Campbell is no longer around to provide very valuable leadership that the youngsters will sorely need against top-flight competition.

5. Liverpool.

I was ready to place Liverpool back in the Top 4, but the more than likely departure of Javier Mascherano made me think twice. Still, Liverpool fans can look forward to a much more enjoyable season than last year’s, with Roy Hodgson endorsing an attractive style of play and newcomers Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic blending in seamlessly with Steve Gerrard and Fernando Torres. Spanish youngster Daniel Pacheco could be a very pleasant surprise.

6. Tottenham Hotspur.

This two-spot drop doesn’t respond to a lack of faith in Harry Redknapp’s squad, but rather to my doubts regarding the roster’s response to their UCL challenges. Newcomers to the Champions League have a tough adjustment to make to the heightened level of in-week competition, and Tottenham’s lack of offseason moves could prove costly early on.

7. Everton.

The Toffees won’t be far from their city rivals if the second half of last season is any indication. Adding Jermaine Beckford and a healthy Mikel Arteta to a squad that already features Tim Cahill and Steven Pienaar will make for a lot of pretty play, and if the defense holds up Everton will be a very tough out.

8. Fulham.

Despite the sudden loss of Philippe Senderos to a severe injury, I believe Fulham will build on last year’s Europa League success and take advantage of fresher legs to make a leap forward in the EPL standings. Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora will be heavily featured in a knifing attack that could gain an extraordinary boost with the possible addition of ManCity’s Craig Bellamy, while the defense is scrappy enough. If Fulham keeps true to their home form of last season, a return to Europe might not be farfetched.

9. Sunderland.

Steve Bruce turned his club’s offices into a revolving door this summer, but it appears that those coming in (especially Cristian Riveros) will fit the American’s system better than last year’s pieces. Nedum Onuoha has the potential to be a defensive stalwart opposite of Paulo da Silva, while volume striker Darren Bent should be very excited with Riveros’ passing ability. An improvement in last year’s putrid form away from the Stadium of Light will solidify Sunderland’s presence in the upper half of the EPL standings.

10. Aston Villa.

The likely departure of James Milner definitely hurts Villa’s prospects, but it’s Kevin O’Neill calling it quits that will have the deeper impact in the Villains’ drop in the standings. It’s hard to believe that Villa management would be so inactive during the summer given that the squad was clearly just a couple tweaks away from contending for a Top 4 spot, and now Villa Park faithful may very well be in for a clunker of a season.

11. Birmingham City.

The bad news is that teams won’t be caught off-guard by this modest squad. The good news is that Birmingham has added a strong scoring presence in La Liga veteran Nikola Zigic and a proven goalkeeper in Ben Foster to make another run at the Top 10. Times won’t be as good in Saint Andrew’s as they were last year, but the drop-off will hardly be felt.

12. West Ham.

After agonizing to avoid relegation last year, West Ham will look to rebound and has the pieces in place to do so. Avram Grant’s strategy won’t dazzle the Upton Park faithful,  but opponents will not look forward to his direct style of play. Summer additions Pablo Barrera and Frederic Piquionne will show flashes of brilliance, but it will be the collective tactics that will keep Hammers fans from suffering.

13. Bolton Wanderers.

New manager Owen Coyle favors an aesthetically pleasing game, and former Citizen Martin Petrov has all the tools to translate Coyle’s tactics onto the field. Bolton fans won’t see a big improvement in the standings, but they’ll enjoy their run to mediocrity more than they usually do.

14. Stoke City.

It’s only been two years, but Stoke City has the makings of an EPL mainstay. A predictable style of play and a no-nonsense roster will allow Tony Pulis’ men to hold on to their place in the top-flight, but signing Loic Remy (likely to end up in Seville) would have boosted Stoke’s chances to fight for a Top 10 spot that now appears utopic.

15. Newcastle.

Looking at the roster, it’s incredible to think that such a loaded side could underperform as badly as the Magpies did two seasons ago. While I don’t expect Chris Hughton’s club to be anywhere near the top of the standings, a solid defense rich in experience and hungry players such as Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan up front should allow Newcastle to comfortably remain in the EPL.

16. Blackburn Rovers.

When your two strikers combine for 12 goals in a season, you know good and well you need to get help in that department. When you go through the offseason and don’t manage to fill that need, you know the upcoming season won’t be too memorable. Sam Allardyce is in for a rough year as a roster that seems to have peaked will have the fight to avoid relegation as its only realistic goal.

17. West Bromwich Albion.

Many expect Roberto di Matteo’s squad to play a very engaging style that will ultimately prove to be their downfall, but I disagree. Despite the fact that West Brom’s personnel hardly enjoys a talent overdose, Di Matteo’s gritty personality will show in  a system designed to please fans while remaining solid enough around midfield to launch the counterattack at a frequent rate against top competition. Most years, that can be enough to save your EPL spot.

18. Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Much like with Blackburn Rovers, the Wolves suffered from a scoring draught last year that could have doomed them. This season’s squad is boosted up front by former Burnley striker Steven Fletcher, but unless the entire team can find an extra offensive gear Mick McCarthy’s men may not make it to a third straght EPL season,

19. Wigan Athletic.

It’s a wonder that a team could give up 79 goals and not be relegated, but Bob Martínez’s squad pulled it off last year. The Latics are going into the 2010-2011 season with a rather shallow defensive line and no significant additions, and as the old saying goes, “if you play with fire you will get burnt
[/h1]

I don't want to bring too much hate, but Steve Bruce isn't American, its Martin O'Neill, not Kevin, Neymar hasn't signed for Chelsea, its Villans, not villains, Koscielny and Chamakh didn't make Arsenal younger, Sol Campbell? don't think we'll miss him tooo much, Ben Foster is far from a proven Goalkeeper, Jermaine Beckford has never plied his trade above League One and is a crapshoot at best, and I've never heard him called Steve Gerrard.

I don't want to bring too much hate, but Steve Bruce isn't American, its Martin O'Neill, not Kevin, Neymar hasn't signed for Chelsea, its Villans, not villains, Koscielny and Chamakh didn't make Arsenal younger, Sol Campbell? don't think we'll miss him tooo much, Ben Foster is far from a proven Goalkeeper, Jermaine Beckford has never plied his trade above League One and is a crapshoot at best, and I've never heard him called Steve Gerrard.

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

laugh.gif
... just a few inaccuracies... 

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

laugh.gif
... just a few inaccuracies... 

any word on the upcoming friendly between barca and a.c. milan on August 25th? 
Ronaldinho returns to Barca 
pimp.gif
 I can't imagine how crazy it would get if he scored 
laugh.gif

If messi and co. are playing in this game it would be fun to watch 
eek.gif

any word on the upcoming friendly between barca and a.c. milan on August 25th? 
Ronaldinho returns to Barca 
pimp.gif
 I can't imagine how crazy it would get if he scored 
laugh.gif

If messi and co. are playing in this game it would be fun to watch 
eek.gif

cant wait for regular season play to start again!

Premier League is an open race this year so every games gonna count and all the mid table squads are in for a close battle as well.

la liga is gonna be just as fun to watch, i cant wait to see how the chess game between guardiola and mourinho plays out.

bundesliga will be pretty interesting as well. Bayern Munich are miles ahead of the league in talent but their contenders are all getting better and will, in my eyes, have a close battle for second this year.

so much to watch for in all leagues, but which title race do you think will be the closest/most exciting this year???

personally i'll follow premier league -> la liga -> seria a -> liga portuguesa --> bundesliga

oh..and to all the chelsea fans WE WANT OUR TROPHY BACK 
devil.gif
devil.gif

cant wait for regular season play to start again!

Premier League is an open race this year so every games gonna count and all the mid table squads are in for a close battle as well.

la liga is gonna be just as fun to watch, i cant wait to see how the chess game between guardiola and mourinho plays out.

bundesliga will be pretty interesting as well. Bayern Munich are miles ahead of the league in talent but their contenders are all getting better and will, in my eyes, have a close battle for second this year.

so much to watch for in all leagues, but which title race do you think will be the closest/most exciting this year???

personally i'll follow premier league -> la liga -> seria a -> liga portuguesa --> bundesliga

oh..and to all the chelsea fans WE WANT OUR TROPHY BACK 
devil.gif
devil.gif

I'm definitely excited for Liverpool this season. New manager, new owners coming soon, can't do worse than last year.

I'm definitely excited for Liverpool this season. New manager, new owners coming soon, can't do worse than last year.

Anyone see the Bayern - Real friendly? Casillas is BY FAR the best goalkeeper in the world:

He saved a penalty in the game, plus the rebound off the penalty miss.
He had great saves against Ribery and Klose in two situations where they were all alone, like Robben in the WC final.
He had some more great saves in between.
In the penalty shootout he saved two penalties and the other two that were scored he picked the right side, not missing them by much.

Anyone see the Bayern - Real friendly? Casillas is BY FAR the best goalkeeper in the world:

He saved a penalty in the game, plus the rebound off the penalty miss.
He had great saves against Ribery and Klose in two situations where they were all alone, like Robben in the WC final.
He had some more great saves in between.
In the penalty shootout he saved two penalties and the other two that were scored he picked the right side, not missing them by much.

Back
Top Bottom