The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by CJ863

Originally Posted by RavageBX

When artists and producers are first starting out its rare to get paid. You're banking on the artist blowing up and then being compensated monetarily or by the promo. He jumped ship right before he blew up. You can kinda tell he knows he played himself a little.
How did he play himself though? The man didn't want to produce tracks that weren't in his lane so he bounced. I feel like Rose will have his
day, he seemed genuine about staying organic in that article which is way more than I can say for 90% of producers/entertainers these days. 
Sounded more to me like he wanted to control the direction of their projects totally and was unwilling to compromise. 
If what he says is true, then he was the mastermind behind the whole project so I could understand the frustration when the singer wants to do party type tracks and you want to do grimey RnB (as ironic as it sounds). I mean, take a look at the leaked tracks that came from abel. They sound completely different from HoB. I know I'm not the only one who wasn't feeling the vibe of those tracks. They sounded so bland and typical. But thats just me, maybe you liked them, idk.

I feel abel might of ventured out to do what he initially wanted to do had the released tracks not recieved such a warm welcoming. I guess, we'll never know what the rest of their tracks sounded like unless they leak or something.

Originally Posted by RedMan

Originally Posted by BrotherForReal

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

laugh.gif
at all these dudes mad a young guy doing his thing.

You can tell who's winning here by how mad these other artists and their supporters are.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 at all these NTers, including you, who forget about respect. Abel been feeling himself WAYYYY to much as of late. He aint done nothing. He's a younger Dream without the talent. Whether you and the rest of the world starts to accept it or not..ITS FACT.
Weeknd music is good to hear but not to listen to. There's no substance. It's always about drugs and strippers with him.

I like the dude but you gotta know your history and respect the dudes who gave you the lane you're driving in.

It's funny you say The Weeknd's music has no substance when all his songs are related to each other. All three mixtapes are are one story.
I know that but his story is 3 mixtapes long which he could've said in 1 song
nerd.gif

I'm a fan. I enjoy his music during L.A. traffic or to get me to work.

I'm 31, so I'm big on respect. Just like I deleted anything Trey Songz when he tried to go at Kelly. Kelly was being played when all these artists were being conceived.
laugh.gif

I assume that most Weeknds fans are early college kids or still in high school.

Originally Posted by RedMan

laugh.gif
 at all these NTers, including you, who forget about respect. Abel been feeling himself WAYYYY to much as of late. He aint done nothing. He's a younger Dream without the talent. Whether you and the rest of the world starts to accept it or not..ITS FACT.
Weeknd music is good to hear but not to listen to. There's no substance. It's always about drugs and strippers with him.

I like the dude but you gotta know your history and respect the dudes who gave you the lane you're driving in.

It's funny you say The Weeknd's music has no substance when all his songs are related to each other. All three mixtapes are are one story.
I know that but his story is 3 mixtapes long which he could've said in 1 song
nerd.gif

I'm a fan. I enjoy his music during L.A. traffic or to get me to work.

I'm 31, so I'm big on respect. Just like I deleted anything Trey Songz when he tried to go at Kelly. Kelly was being played when all these artists were being conceived.
laugh.gif

I assume that most Weeknds fans are early college kids or still in high school.
You're so thoroughly misguided that it's just 
eek.gif
What does "respect"have to do with anything? You're basically enslaved by the media if you let these little stories and Twitter feuds determine what you do and don't listen to. Why don't you just let the music speak for itself and put everything else on the back burner?

You claim that most Weeknd fans are "college kids or still in high school" (wrong again), but your stance is much more juvenile. I decide who and what I listen to based on how good the music is, not based on who "respects" who or who came out earlier or whatever. That's just such a dumb way to look at things. 

Clearly, Tank already felt negatively about The Weeknd's popularity. I see no other reason for such self-aggrandizing while, at the same time, belittling another artist's accomplishments. 
And for what, exactly? In response to people trolling on +++%#%! Twitter? 

The Weeknd has the attention of many, R&B fans and non-R&B fans alike, and Tank needed to reassure himself of how great people believe he was / is. How insecure could you be to have millions of records sold, and lash out on someone else who hasn't done those things?

These dudes are in here acting like their opinions are fact. Get over yourself, music is subjective. 

Tell me about it.
laugh.gif
at deleting someone's work because they disrespected an elder artist. I can't imagine how stressful that would be for someone who's Hip-Hop fan.
laugh.gif

If you're so concerned about respect, you should be disappointed at the act of a singer, who's nearly 40-years-old, insulting a young, upcoming artist on a social network.

I'm thinking there's new music in here...but naw....dudes catching feelings about his tweets. For shame.

Originally Posted by cartune

much respect to this man but I cant help but laugh at some of these live performances

after watching a minute of the video a NTer posted on the last page.....agreed.

his stage presence isnt really there yet

Originally Posted by MarcMac360

much respect to this man but I cant help but laugh at some of these live performances

But the Weeknd is doing his thing! No one is seeing his catalog in the last 3 years!!!!

Even though I enjoyed HOB and EOS, he's the definition of what having a great engineer can do for you.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

But the Weeknd is doing his thing! No one is seeing his catalog in the last 3 years!!!!

Even though I enjoyed HOB and EOS, he's the definition of what having a great engineer can do for you.
what the in teh blue hell does this have to do with his live performances?
Do you lack basic comprehension skills or something? 

my jimmies were rustled 10/10, will rage again.

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

what the in teh blue hell does this have to do with his live performances?
Do you lack basic comprehension skills or something? 

my jimmies were rustled 10/10, will rage again.
That was sarcasm btw... maybe I should have noted.
laugh.gif

The fact that this thread is almost 200 pages is also mind-blowing to me
laugh.gif

I've pretty much accepted the fact that he is a studio artist, which is fine with me because son's songwriting is amazing.
Idk about that Jeremy Rose situation though, that's kinda $@%*#! up, especially for a dude who relies on production so much, There's always 3 sides to a story though.
That being said I'll definitely still check him when he comes to NYC if I can even get tickets
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by awwsome

I've pretty much accepted the fact that he is a studio artist, which is fine with me because son's songwriting is amazing.

these...for as much as i listen to his stuff after these videos i have no desire to go see a live show...between the people singing along at the top of their lungs and the effects he uses in songs that he cant really replicate on stage - it would prob ruin some songs for me

You guys crack me up with your musical integrity speech.
I love dudes music.  I want to go to a concert so bad, get drunk and sing along with the crowd to every word of every song and just enjoy it.  I guess it would be a different story if he was hitting notes and really belting out songs.  But dude gets up there sings the songs i love...whatever...will sing along with him.  

I go to concerts to just have fun.  I am not a music critic.  I don't go to hear him sing wicked games fully in a falsetto.  I just love the experience of being around other people that are all there because we love the same thing.     

Originally Posted by Jking0821

I love dudes music.  I want to go to a concert so bad, get drunk and sing along with the crowd to every word of every song and just enjoy it.  I guess it would be a different story if he was hitting notes and really belting out songs.  But dude gets up there sings the songs i love...whatever...will sing along with him.  

I go to concerts to just have fun.  I am not a music critic.  I don't go to hear him sing wicked games fully in a falsetto.  I just love the experience of being around other people that are all there because we love the same thing.     

truth

So I guess the Dream and all these other dude's favorite artists put on perfect performances and have voices of angels at their live shows?

laugh.gif

I don't really give two dambs about how these guys sound at a performance aka glorified karaoke session. I don't know or care how 90% of my favorite bands/artists sound live, but if that's what you dude's base your musical preferences on, go for it. Nobody cares though.

Just like nobody cares if you think the Dream, Tank, etc. etc. are much more talented than the Weeknd. Nobody gives a damb, I'm pretty sure that isn't what this thread is for.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Wait so dudes don't go to concerts to see good performances?
I understand you love dudes music, a lot of people do but if you wanna see someone sing his songs off key, you could do that in your shower.
I swear there's only extreme sides of the spectrum when it comes to anything regarding this guy
laugh.gif

NYC - Saw someone who books very prominent artists to play in the city say Santos booked The Weeknd's first show here...but then deleted it shortly thereafter. Not much to go off of, but I would keep a lookout

Don't know what you guys are talking about because he put on a great performance when I went on Friday. He was getting the crowd into it,dancing to make the ladies scream, his band was on point and their were videos accompanied to each song in the style of the photography we've seen attached to his songs which created a good atmosphere along with the lights and effects. He did "live" versions of his songs which were really dope. He was actually hitting each notes and even finished with an acoustic version of "Wicked Games" which was
pimp.gif
. The only time he got the crowd to sing along was "Montreal" cause it was in Montreal. He's really grown from when I saw the vids of his first performance ever. He looked nervous then but when I went he was very confident and wasn't afraid to try different things. He's grown into a pretty dope performer.

Def worth my money and I'd recommend anyone who has a chance to go to one of his shows to go because it's certainly an experience,a dope experience.

No pause. I'm dying to give this man my money and he isn't letting me. He needs to perform in NYC or Boston ASAP.

If you love the music you should care about the performance..

If you just love the artist it wouldn't really matter to you. That being the case i hope you sit down when you take a leak.

Back
Top Bottom