The Wolverine - Movie Thread (07/26/13) - Trailers on page 7

Hugh Jackman owns this role. All he needs is a quality, r rated script.

This has to be the worst year for comic book movies...
No. People's standards are just rising and rising. People don't know how to enjoy these movies anymore. Everybody wants Dark Knight material. None of the cbm's released this year were truly bad, just didn't live up to expectations,

Last edited:
No. People's standards are just rising and rising. People don't know how to enjoy these movies anymore. Everybody wants Dark Knight material. None of the cbm's released this year were truly bad, just didn't live up to expectations,

Dark Knight Trilogy is wildly overrated, though. Rising was garbage.

All those ppl crying about Jackman's height and wanting Wolverine to be shorter than the average female on the big screen 13 years ago are idiots. Whoever you want to be that didn't exist then and doesn't exist now.

Wouldn't say that. This film is the best representation/development of Wolverine yet. MoS was good (I know 50-50 on this) and for some reason, IM3 is still well liked by the critics. Thor2 and KickAss2 is still on the way and I do not really see KickAss2 being a disappointment since it's still Rated R. Thor 2 is looking good too.

2003 has Hulk & Daredevil. 2004 has Catwoman, Punisher & Blade 3. 2005 has Elektra & F4. 2006 has X3 & SR. It's hard to beat those years.

Last edited:
lol worst year? hell no

its just people forgot how to watch guy movies like guys. everybody wants to be an anal retentive movie critic these days.

please people complain when zac effron is wolverine and jaden smith is iron man while the soundtrack is done by one direction

thank you, stop expecting every movie to follow the DK recipe, let it die....enjoy these movies for what they are, fantasy! and action, when the movie lacks either of those two things then complaint....we are lucky to get these films, i remember the days we would collect cards and comics and only wish for the day we would see them in the movies, perhaps some of you never had to wait close to 2 decades for these characters to come to life....jesus.

Just saw it, I enjoyed it, I'm just really confused on the timeline of the wolverine movies and the xmen movies and first class.... Someone know?

thank you, stop expecting every movie to follow the DK recipe, let it die....enjoy these movies for what they are, fantasy! and action, when the movie lacks either of those two things then complaint....we are lucky to get these films, i remember the days we would collect cards and comics and only wish for the day we would see them in the movies, perhaps some of you never had to wait close to 2 decades for these characters to come to life....jesus.
TRUTH!!!!!
The only thing we had was X-Men the animated series that was even close.

Just saw it, I enjoyed it, I'm just really confused on the timeline of the wolverine movies and the xmen movies and first class.... Someone know?

First Class... Origins... X1... X2... X3... The Wolverine... DofP

I think you may have to remove Origins in the timeline because things just don't make sense. At the end of 1st Class ProfX was in a wheel chair with hair but in Origins he was bald and still walking. Then Origins looks more modern than 1st Class so it can't really go first either. X3 also isn't consistent, ProfX was also walking and already bald and still friends with Magneto when recruiting Jean.

Last edited:
For those who keep asking "Who but Jackman?":

From IMDB:
Bryan Singer's first choice to play Wolverine was Russell Crowe, but he turned it down when he was denied a higher fee. Aaron Eckhart, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Viggo Mortensen and Edward Norton were considered for the role (Eckhart and Norton would appear in 2008 unrelated superhero films). Keanu Reeves and Gary Sinise were the studio's preferred choices for the role. Dougray Scott was cast, but he had to drop out due to schedule conflicts with Mission: Impossible II. Finally a relatively unknown actor, Hugh Jackman, was cast as Wolverine.

So Jackman was the EIGHTH choice, but no one else could play Wolverine, right? Like I said, 13 years of conditioning. The Wolverine character made Jackman a household name, not the other way around.

Jackman's actually set a record in Hollywood by portraying the same comic book character for 5 films, but has still failed to truly OWN the role. He is what he is. Time for new blood.

Last edited:
i just think Fox, never really thought of expansion films well enough so that all ends meet, i think is best we just overlook those hiccups at this point.

Hand wave that by saying Prof X somehow was healed and then got crippled again. In the comics they've basically made it just as confusing :lol: While he's mostly been crippled he's been healed several times in many different ways.

In the movie verse I expect Origins to look more modern that 1st class. I think it happened in the 80s timeline wise but I could be forgetting some key things mentioned and it was set prior to 1st class but I don't think so.

Last edited:

From IMDB:

So Jackman was the EIGHTH choice, but no one else could play Wolverine, right? Like I said, 13 years of conditioning. The Wolverine character made Jackman a household name, not the other way around.

Jackman's actually set a record in Hollywood by portraying the same comic book character for 5 films, but has still failed to truly OWN the role. He is what he is. Time for new blood.

you are bugging to think that Crowe could portray the physical of Wolverine, Singer probably was looking for acting caliber and not so focused in the physical aspect, I mean could you really picture Ed Norton as logan?....that would have been WACK

Wolverine in a TDK/batman movie would not work. He doesn't have the same character depth or psychology or mythos as batman. Could you imagine wolverine vs sabretooth playing out like batman vs joker? No way

From IMDB:

you are bugging to think that Crowe could portray the physical of Wolverine, Singer probably was looking for acting caliber and not so focused in the physical aspect, I mean could you really picture Ed Norton as logan?....that would have been WACK

Yeah... I'm buggin'. Not the directors who get paid millions to make these decisions, but me. Ok, bub. All I did was provide some easily accessible info. You also have 5 other actors to go through, including the guy who was actually cast, but had to relinquish the role due to a scheduling conflict.

If you want to ignore the story of how Jackman actually got the role and replace it with one where he was the "only clear choice," be my guest. But the fact remains that no one knew who Jackman was before X-Men, so that position makes very little sense. (Conditioning)

Last edited:

From IMDB:
Bryan Singer's first choice to play Wolverine was Russell Crowe, but he turned it down when he was denied a higher fee. Aaron Eckhart, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Viggo Mortensen and Edward Norton were considered for the role (Eckhart and Norton would appear in 2008 unrelated superhero films). Keanu Reeves and Gary Sinise were the studio's preferred choices for the role. Dougray Scott was cast, but he had to drop out due to schedule conflicts with Mission: Impossible II. Finally a relatively unknown actor, Hugh Jackman, was cast as Wolverine.

Just because he wasn't the first choice doesn't mean Jackman was the wrong choice. And considered did not mean the role were offered to those guys. The role was offered to 2 guys (Crowe & Scott) before being given to Jackman.

You do know that Julia Roberts wasn't the first choice for Pretty Woman right? That catapulted her career. Will Smith was the first choice for DJango and Matrix. Foxx & Keanu are the right choice for those films. Hey look it's Crowe, his role in Gladiator was offer to Mel Gibson and guess what, Crowe won the Oscar for that role. Pacino turned down Han Solo, Nicholson turned down Corleone in the Godfather, Travolta turned down Forrest Gump, etc....

Robert f'n Pattinson was offered DDL's part in There Will Be Blood for gods sake! DDL killed that role and won it. Imagine Edward Cullen in that role!?

If this doesn't prove that the first choices isn't always the best choice then I don't know what to tell you. You act like casting by these movie directors and producers are 100% foolproof. There are Daredevils, Catwomans, etc.. out there with terrible castings.

It's not conditioning either, I really do not remember much hate for Jackman in the film outside of comic book enthusiasts but even then, after the film came out, most were happy.

Last edited:

From IMDB:

Just because he wasn't the first choice doesn't mean Jackman was the wrong choice. And considered did not mean the role were offered to those guys. The role was offered to 2 guys (Crowe & Scott) before being given to Jackman.

You do know that Julia Roberts wasn't the first choice for Pretty Woman right? That catapulted her career. Will Smith was the first choice for DJango and Matrix. Foxx & Keanu are the right choice for those films. Hey look it's Crowe, his role in Gladiator was offer to Mel Gibson and guess what, Crowe won the Oscar for that role. Pacino turned down Han Solo, Nicholson turned down Corleone in the Godfather, Travolta turned down Forrest Gump, etc....

Robert f'n Pattinson was offered DDL's part in There Will Be Blood for gods sake! DDL killed that role and won it. Imagine Edward Cullen in that role!?

If this doesn't prove that the first choices isn't always the best choice then I don't know what to tell you. You act like casting by these movie directors and producers are 100% foolproof. There are Daredevils, Catwomans, etc.. out there with terrible castings.

It's not conditioning either, I really do not remember much hate for Jackman in the film outside of comic book enthusiasts but even then, after the film came out, most were happy.

You just spewed a whole bunch of irrelevant banter. I NEVER said the 1st choice is the best in any circumstance and I never said anything was foolproof. I saw a couple of posts asking who else could have played Wolverine. I started to research and came across the IMDB snippet. Jackman was listed 8th. That's not my doing. That's how the list was when I found it, honest.

And i am just defending the Jackman choice. Its not irrelevant banter because it supports my point that Jackman not being the first choice turned out well just like the examples I showed. Just like you, I am just providing info.

And if you read carefully, the main complaint was Jackmans height and all those choices were still 5'10" or taller. I still dont think those guys could pull of Wolverine, outside of Crowe, not many of those have gotten much critical acclaim.

And come on, the example includes Keanu and VanDamme and then you try to prove your point by saying those are choices by directors who get paid millions. You may not have said that it is foolproof but using directors as an example sure implies it like they never makes mistakes because they get paid millions.

Last edited:
And i am just defending the Jackman choice. Its not irrelevant banter because it supports my point that Jackman not being the first choice turned out well just like the examples I showed. Just like you, I am just providing info.

And if you read carefully, the main complaint was Jackmans height and all those choices were still 5'10" or taller. I still dont think those guys could pull of Wolverine, outside of Crowe, not many of those have gotten much critical acclaim.

And come on, the example includes Keanu and VanDamme and then you try to prove your point by saying those are choices by directors who get paid millions. You may not have said that it is foolproof but using directors as an example sure implies it like they never makes mistakes because they get paid millions.

I called it irrelevant banter because you are debating (me, I assume) over claims I never made. So while these things you say may do something to solidify Jackman as the right choice in your mind (as is your right), I find them irrelevant because I never said or implied what you are rebutting. Savvy?

The height argument is overused and it's really used to supplement the fact that Jackman is missing something that's not stature. He's never (despite all of his cold showers) truly embodied the true quiet rage of Wolverine. He's been serviceable, but he's replaceable and wasn't the first choice.

And you're doing a poor job of reading into what I say. When I say the directors get paid millions, I'm saying "don't shoot the messenger". I'm not saying they can't mistakes. I'm saying it's their job and not mine and this was the documented list of choices. Nothing more.

I am debating what you posted, take it personal if you want, that is your choice but I was replying to whatever you posted. You said you saw a couple of posts asking who else could play Wolverine, then you should have read further on the actual debate, which was his height. And Jackman was listed 8th person because he got the part. If Dougary Scott was able to play Wolverine, then he'd be 7th listed or likely 8th because Crowe actually suggested Jackman for the part so they'd have to mention him earlier in the list. The article you posted is vague and it only provided their options and who they offered it to and the one casted and turned it down. If the article had been written "Crowe & Scott turned down the part and then Jackman was casted and here is a list of those who were considered", then Jackman would have been the "third choice." Point of the article is that he had to go through 7 other casts but only one was offered and one was hired so unless there are further evidence that the role was offered to the other 5 actors, then technically you can't prove that he was 8th in line.

But even if Jackman wasn't hired, people would still complain about Scotts or Crowes height today because neither are 5'3".

It is easy to say the height is an overused argument but that is just it, that is the main discussion. You get rid of that aspect and more than half of those against Jackman will turn around on the argument. Remove the height argument and you blow up the possibilities wide open for casting and I do not think anyone would argue there. Tom Hardy becomes a good candidate to take the helm, Gerard Butler would make a more menacing physical specimen, Daniel Craig becomes a good choice too, etc... So discounting the height would really put this discussion to an end.

It seems you truly believe Jackman did a terrible job and want him replaced though, that is pretty obvious and with addition to the info you posted do not be surprised if the info you posted gets mistaken as your own stance on the debate.

Last edited:

From IMDB:

That list is TURRRRRRRRRRIBLE

thank god he was the 8th choice and everyone passed.

From IMDB:

That list is TURRRRRRRRRRIBLE

thank god he was the 8th choice and everyone passed.

2 questions:

What makes Jackman such a clear cut choice out of that list?

Do you feel that the Wolverine franchise has maxed it's full potential?

Back
Top Bottom