The Wolverine - Movie Thread (07/26/13) - Trailers on page 7

BOX OFFICE: THE WOLVERINE Opens With $55 Million For A Worldwide Cume Of $141 Million

The Wolverine has met the expectations of rival studio estimates by grossing an estimated $55 million at the North American box office this weekend. However, while this may be considerably beneath his last solo outing, these numbers are about the same as X-Men: First Class back in 2011 (and that will be getting a follow-up with next year's X-Men: Days of Future Past).

Internationally, The Wolverine earned roughly $86.1 million for a worldwide total of $141.1 million. That easily covers the film's $120 million production budget. It may have come in slightly below expected domestically, but this was actually the strongest opening of all-time for an X-Men movie.

cut it out people, Hugh is a great Wolverine, the only other actor i always thought since younger would play out Logan, PERFECTLY height and all was Mel, too bad he was born too soon....Lethal Weapon 1 Officer Riggs with a little more mass was literally logan....what a missed opportunity.

View media item 513702

I have been telling people this for years. Repped

You wouldn't have even had to give Mel Gibson a script. Get him drunk and he'll go into his own berserker mode. Just have stuntmen attack him and turn on the camera. Action would be even better if you told him the ninjas were Jewish.

MARVEL nailed it for me...

had no real gripes, they did a good job of depicting "logan"

really digging how logan as a character was the focal point of the flick opposed to a villian/crazy scenario/situation.

Cant wait for the unrated blu ray joint

logan a scumbag tho...wouldnt leave any type of *** around that man :nthat:

Nobody should be doubting Jackman as Wolverine, bad movies and all. I dread the day more when Jackman stops being Logan more than I do RDJR stops being Stark.
You wouldn't have even had to give Mel Gibson a script. Get him drunk and he'll go into his own berserker mode. Just have stuntmen attack him and turn on the camera. Action would be even better if you told him the ninjas were Jewish.
:lol:

Jewish ninjas.

i liked this movie, saw both pacific rim and this. liked this movie more

that after credit scene man... call me a ***** but i got chills when you know who was revealed lol

that after credit scene man... call me a ***** but i got chills when you know who was revealed lol

who was revealed? didnt eem watch the credits based on the movie being so booty

professor x. magneto was like i know you wouldnt trust me and out rolled prof x lol

Last edited:

You missed the best part of the film.

The post-credits clip in The Wolverine begins with the Bollywoodesque time stamp of ‘Two years later.’ Hugh Jackman is at an airport, going through the security checks before boarding his flight. A television screen catches his eye – the news flashing is about the massive technological advances being made by Trask Industries. (For those unaware of the X-Men oeuvre, Trask is the name of Larry Trask, a mutant villain who blames the X-Men for the death of his father.)

Just then, metal objects begin floating around Wolverine. He spins around to come face to face with Magneto, the X-Men villain who had been stripped of his powers in X-Men: The Last Stand, and was only able to move a chess piece at the end of the movie.

Magneto gives Wolverine the endlessly familiar super villain rant: join me or perish in the huge calamity that is coming. Wolverine asks Magneto why he should trust him. Everyone around the duo stands completely still, and Magneto says that he knew Wolverine would be disbelieving, so he brought a friend along with him to prove it.

And then appears Charles Xavier, also known as professor X, who supposedly died in X-Men: The Last Stand. When Wolverine asks Xavier how he is alive, the professor says: “As I told you once before, you are not the only one with powers.”

saw it on the release day.

movie was pretty good. i didnt expect much based on past 'xmen' films
the fighting scenes were really good. good sequence, and every punch/movement had a purpose.

i was tired by the end (because of earlier activites) so we were going to skip the after credit scenes. good thing it was a packed house because when the after credit scenes started we were still on the way down the aisle :lol:

and you can tell who all the 'comic-con' nerds were. no offense to anyone, it was just funny hearing them cheer at the end :lol:

All of this concession for Jackman being a good wolverine comes after 13 years of mental conditioning.

Cats really saying after 13 years that the still tall and slim Jackman is the ONLY actor who could portray Wolvie? Based on what exactly? The fact that he's ripped now?

I really can't wait until this character is rebooted and done properly.

^
I don't think we were mentally conditioned to like him in the role, people actually liked his portrayal of the character. You're the first i've seen to describe him as slim. He may not be massive like The Rock but he does look beastly.

^
I don't think we were mentally conditioned to like him in the role, people actually liked his portrayal of the character. You're the first i've seen to describe him as slim. He may not be massive like The Rock but he does look beastly.

Yeah now, after eggs/chicken/steroids.

I'm not sure what you remember from 13 years ago but my memory is quite clear. Hugh Jackman is now "accepted" as the standard for Wolverine. He was always called out for not fitting the character physically. I was 18 when the first film dropped, so there was no misinterpretation due to adolescence.

I guess people will finally see the potential once this characters are in the hands of new blood from top to bottom. I'm not saying Jackman is terrible, but he's not even close to pushing the characters full potential. He is what he is, I've seen over a decade of it. Just the fact that he pushed this film as the Wolverine "film we've been waiting for", bothers me. After 13 years, son?

just saw this today. im an x-men fan and i like when the movies follow an established storyline, so not sure where this one fit.

action was good, i thought the movie was pretty good up until the end with the way SS was portrayed. had me confused that it was a robot too
laugh.gif

also there was a lot of unfinished business at the end,
like so, SS wasnt able to get logans healing right? uhh how did that work in the first place? and how come SS got younger and then all of a sudden it stopped and logans A-OK again?

and why was viper in this movie? i dont get the connection between her and the yoshidas/japan. as far as i know, shes a drug dealer in madripoor. i guess the biochem aspect is needed for the plot, but still. and im not up on current advances in nanotechnology, but a damn robo-bug on the heart shouldnt be able to nullify genetics
post credits scene question for all:
i thought it was a dope scene to lead into DofP, but i dont get the timeline now. in DofP, i thought they were in the future, where trask and the sentinels have been hunting/decimating mutants so thats why wolverine has to go back in time, right? but in the post credits, the scene is set in pretty much the present. so i suppose that makes sense in that you would go back in time to the First Class years. BUT. the comic-con trailer describes that prof X wanted logan to back and make his past self fight on for mutant rights/etc. so between first class and now, when did he lose his way? i assumed it was going to be set in the farther future, and that logan would be sent back in time to the near future where prof X will soon lose his motivation or something. but then where would the First Class kids fit? MY BRAIN WANTS TO EXPLODE RIGHT NOW
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i dont get this at all
frown.gif
Silver Samurai has also had a more technologically advanced suit, so the portrayal in the film is still technically accurate to an extent. Also, Silver Samurai has worked alongside Viper numerous times in the comics, so her involvement here is justified.

As for Days of Future Past, I have an explanation for you, but I'll return to this post to edit it in later. 

Yeah now, after eggs/chicken/steroids.

I'm not sure what you remember from 13 years ago but my memory is quite clear. Hugh Jackman is now "accepted" as the standard for Wolverine. He was always called out for not fitting the character physically. I was 18 when the first film dropped, so there was no misinterpretation due to adolescence.

I guess people will finally see the potential once this characters are in the hands of new blood from top to bottom. I'm not saying Jackman is terrible, but he's not even close to pushing the characters full potential. He is what he is, I've seen over a decade of it. Just the fact that he pushed this film as the Wolverine "film we've been waiting for", bothers me. After 13 years, son?

I do not get Jackman getting the blame for this? This is a script given to him, as an actor, you say what is written and do what the director says. If you know how many takes these guys do in the film, they can spend half the day (at times the whole day) shooting a single scene. They do multiple interpretations and delivery but at the end of the day, the director picks what to put on film. Seeing what Jackman can do, you just know he can do it more savage, more raw and more scruffy but the director decides what to put on film. Not to mention this is a PG13 films and it must be passable to the parents who brings their kids into the theater and buys those merchandise.

Do I wish there is a Rated R Wolverine film where Jackman can just go nuts, go berserk and just slaughter everyone in his path? HELL YES!!! But we will never see it and Jackman has done a good job at what he was given. Wolverine full potential is to just murder and decapitate his enemies and you just can't do that with the studios handling the franchise and sadly, we really would not see that. I can't wait to see the directors cut of this film and see how bloody it will be.

I really do think you guys will regret it when Jackman steps down and they get someone new to play Wolverine. You'll see some lame teen heartrob like those stupid kids from Teen Wolf or Taylor Lautner and then you guys will be begging for Jackman to return. :lol:

Again, I am still waiting for someone to give a good example who is 5'3", stocky and as dedicated to the character as Jackman is (not just emotionally but physically) that can also act from 13 years ago.

I mean that physical transformation is insane coming from slimming down for Les Miserable to The Wolverine, that is a lot of work and eating 5000 calories of all chicken breast while working out several hours a day, everyday? And it is not just now, he started doing it since X2 and just got much, much more fit from then on out.

i thought it was a dope scene to lead into DofP, but i dont get the timeline now. in DofP, i thought they were in the future, where trask and the sentinels have been hunting/decimating mutants so thats why wolverine has to go back in time, right? but in the post credits, the scene is set in pretty much the present. so i suppose that makes sense in that you would go back in time to the First Class years. BUT. the comic-con trailer describes that prof X wanted logan to back and make his past self fight on for mutant rights/etc. so between first class and now, when did he lose his way? i assumed it was going to be set in the farther future, and that logan would be sent back in time to the near future where prof X will soon lose his motivation or something. but then where would the First Class kids fit? MY BRAIN WANTS TO EXPLODE RIGHT NOW laugh.giflaugh.gif i dont get this at all frown.gif

SDCC look could be misleading, they are still filming (still a month left iirc) so that trailer is just a tease so it is hard to really pin point what is going on. Here's the description to those who missed it so you can analyze it yourself:

The trailer had footage of old Xavier and old Magneto talking about a way to end the war, they’ve come to ask Logan/Wolverine and all the while, you get shots of the other mutants: Storm, Kitty Pryde, Iceman, Mystique, Bishope. And then Logan asks them what he needs to do once he’s gone back in time. Xavier replied by instructing Logan to find their younger selves but with a warning, that their (Xavier and Magneto) younger selves weren’t the same men they are today.

And it goes back to shots of young Xavier and there’s a distant image of old Xavier. Young Xavier asks for guidance, he seems like a man who’s lost his hope. And then a shot of young Magneto continuing his path of rage and vengeance, hurting people he encounters. There’s tons of action-packed sequences from that point forward and then you get to see Boliver Trask shouting that he does not want to have their version of the future.
And the end scene of the trailer shows old xavier telling young Xavier, “We need you to hope again.”

if people really are so upset that wolverine isnt portrayed by a stocky ****** actor in the movies i dont know what to tell you.

midas well hire danny devito and give him a wig cause not many fit that role physically who can actually act...

also keep in mind when creating movies like this these filmmakers are there to make money. you wanna make the character believable for the casual comic fan and casual moviegoer.

nobody outside of the comic book world would believe in a buff ******

Back
Top Bottom