Think About it NT...Are YOU Racist?

I was constructing a long in depth response about how i'm racist, but in the midst of it I came to realize that I might not be racist lol.

In my original post I was basically explaining how I'm a racist, but a Dave Chapelle type of racist in that I find humor in the racial and culturalstereotypes placed on people. I don't believe in the superiority or inferiority of any particular race. However I do make associations between certaincharacter traits, and certain races. Basically, I notice when people are behaving in a stereotypical manner, such as a black girl being loud and obnoxious andgiving an attitude for no reason. In addition to noticing when people behave in a stereotypical manner, I also notice when people are exceptions to thestereotype of their respective races. An example would be Yao Ming.

At first, I considered that to be racism on my part, but as I constructed my response I realized that it is not racism imo (and I'd like to hear youropinion to know if you guys find me to be racist. in which i will, without a problem, consider myself a racist
happy.gif
.) I never claim that all people of a certain race behave a certain way. Inever have said race x > race y, unless we're talking about where the hottest girls are from
laugh.gif

The main thing that makes my racism questionable is that I won't hesitate to use a negative racial term in certain situations. But remember that I believein the equality of all races and don't believe that all people of any race share one similar trait. So does that make me racist? I say no.

Btw all this thought into my racism took me a good hour to figure out
tired.gif
. But i guess an hour of my time is worth finding out about myself.

"However I do make associations between certain character traits, and certain races."

Not racist.

People on NT say everyone is in some way..

I just don't see it with me.

I like to think I'm not at all.

There is a big difference between recognizing COMMON (not absolute) differences between people of different races and looking at certain races as inferior orothers as superior.

Recognizing racial differences is not racist... We are different, and MOST stereotypes are based on some amount of fact.

Sears has made me slightly racist against people of the Indian persuasion...Hoverin' around the watch displays for minutes upon minutes at a time. Thenasking for additional discounts on a $4.99 watch. IT'S $5.00!!! Then gettin' all salty about it and putting it back!
smh.gif
smh.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

People on NT say everyone is in some way..

I just don't see it with me.

I like to think I'm not at all.

I used to be a believer of that, but in taking a look at myself, my opinion has changed on this day of February 12, 2008.

haha why do you people whine about racism and then exploit yourself by saying "I"m are racist" ??

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Sears has made me slightly racist against people of the Indian persuasion...Hoverin' around the watch displays for minutes upon minutes at a time. Then asking for additional discounts on a $4.99 watch. IT'S $5.00!!! Then gettin' all salty about it and putting it back!
smh.gif
smh.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Lmao. Or the old do it with no tax and u got a deal.

Originally Posted by StackKerouac

There is a big difference between recognizing COMMON (not absolute) differences between people of different races and looking at certain races as inferior or others as superior.

Recognizing racial differences is not racist... We are different, and MOST stereotypes are based on some amount of fact.

yeah once you say i hate such and such for whatever reason... then your racist...

fact is racism is the result of ignorance of other cultures. once you open yourself to experiencing and learning the dynamics and customs of other culturesyou'll realize, man I used to be real stupid.

Nope. I laugh at all the stereotypes, even the "factual" absolute numbers of many stereotypes because it seems like I know every person whoisn't.

If you are fitting of a stereotype, then it's still just you as an individual thing. For example, you used a loud black girl. I'd be like damn thatblack girl is loud, as opposed to being like she is loud, typical, that's how they are; and the same with any stereotype, be it negative or positive.Looking at other cultures as monolithic is just stupid, and definitely not something I think would look good on me seeing as how I am a big scary looking blackguy myself, yet about to graduate college and I'm not illiterate, a criminal, loud, violent, or whatever the hell else people associate with us.

Plus being a Military brat, you get used to meeting people of tons of other persuasions than your own and realize quickly they are really no different thanyou. It should also be common sense that skin color is just pigmentation of the skin and with it doesn't come a set of ancillary traits. Nurture >nature.

Back
Top Bottom