thoughts on lack of hype or requests for pictures or info on the Air Jordan 2009 (24)

Originally Posted by Executive76

I'd pay $190 for these
happy.gif

5dc36b5811c6dd174b1620be14049b4281a6ca59.pjpg

Props to T.Hardman
smokin.gif
From my understanding THESE^^^^ are NOT Them. Which is a shame cuz those are pretty nice.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ssgefiestoakagerger

$190 is ridiculous

They're designed by the same guy who did the CP3 II's.

How do they justify such a price tag without the original designer (XVII was an exception because Mike was coming out of retirement the second time).
^^^ 190 truly is ridiculous especially if theyre not sigs. They'll probably be pushed back because dude who designed them will be let goafter they see how the CP3.II sells.

Originally Posted by GreatestGoliath

Originally Posted by Executive76

I'd pay $190 for these
happy.gif

5dc36b5811c6dd174b1620be14049b4281a6ca59.pjpg

Props to T.Hardman
smokin.gif
From my understanding THESE^^^^ are NOT Them. Which is a shame cuz those are pretty nice.
pimp.gif

^^^^This is how they should make 'em, J.Brand needs to hire T.Hardman ASAP
pimp.gif
smokin.gif

Just from a marketing standpoint, Jordan Brand shot themselves in the foot. They can blame the economy all they like, but should the 2009 flagship fail - andit has every reason to, at this point - they ought to take a hard look in the mirror.

1. They've been steadily eroding the significance of the Air Jordan for years. It gets a 2 week ad blitz and then it's left out to dry. The other 11& 1/2 months of the year are devoted to milking the legacy and pushing retros. It's become less of a "state of the art" product and more"hey, remember when we released the XI in 1996? No one ever thought to use patent leather on a basketball shoe before. So, I'm sure it'll haveJUST as much impact today if we throw patent leather, clear soles, and an elephant print derivative on the "new" Jordans." The flagship shoehas become an afterthought. That's nothing new. We've been talking about it on NT for years.

2. This is a pure failure of vision on their part. They're reacting to the Internet with the same adverserial stodginess as the music industry followingthe mp3 revolution. The industry spent untold time and money fighting, tooth and nail, a losing battle against the consumer. Jordan brand is doing the samething by attempting to keep the product under such a tight lockdown that we can't see or discuss it months in advance. The Internet MADE the retro crazehappen. It's not a coincidence. Sneaker collecting went mainstream and the online community provided the tipping point. If you aren't buildinganticipation online, if people who LOVE sneakers couldn't care less about your product, then how on earth do you expect the average consumer to care - muchless care enough to spend $190? Consumers WANT to see what's coming out months in advance. They want to talk about it. They want to critique it. Theywant to plan their purchases.

If I were a betting man, I would bet against the Jordan 2009 being a product that I care about. Yet, by sheer hubris, Jordan brand is banking on thepossibility that people will put $190 away on BLIND FAITH that the Jordan 2009 will be worth it. Stupid.

3. They've been doing their best to push old school Jordan fans out of the market and replace them with younger, less discerning consumers and - ifthat's by design - then they've succeeded in that regard. I've generally lost interest.

How you convince the 15-19 year old consumer to buy the Jordan 2009, as opposed to one or more of the other 80 "limited edition" shoes coming outthat month, is beyond me. Why should they care? You've given them a great reason not to add it to their collections for sheer "completion"since it's not even a numbered product. Goodness knows it's given me a great excuse to do the same, and I own I-XX3.

What they could do with the 2009, if they're at all interested in meaningful market segmentation, would be to position the 2009 as an absolute state of theart product - the best piece of basketball equipment a player could purchase, a sleek, sophisticated product that does justice to - rather than mocks - theJordan styling sensibility that drove the classic products the brand now milks to the point of utter self-mockery.

The Air Jordan is SUPPOSED to be the flagship shoe not just for Jordan brand, not just for Nike, but for the ENTIRE sneaker industry. It sets the bar. Theattempt, however half-hearted, to move to sustainable design standards for the Air Jordan XX3 was a great move. There are, now, no excuses. They MUST showthat commitment to sustainability wasn't a marketing gimmick, to make sure that the 2009 represents the cutting edge of performance and sustainability. Produce a sophisticated, high performance basketball shoe that utilizes no toxic adhesives, animal products, PVC, and polyurethane and you've got a sale. Produce more middling garbage at a premium price point and watch them clog up store inventory like a 21/2 pack.

dun nobody care cuhs we already know its goin to look awful jus like fusions
eyes.gif
and THE PRICE TAG IS 190!!
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Method Man

Just from a marketing standpoint, Jordan Brand shot themselves in the foot. They can blame the economy all they like, but should the 2009 flagship fail - and it has every reason to, at this point - they ought to take a hard look in the mirror.

1. They've been steadily eroding the significance of the Air Jordan for years. It gets a 2 week ad blitz and then it's left out to dry. The other 11 & 1/2 months of the year are devoted to milking the legacy and pushing retros. It's become less of a "state of the art" product and more "hey, remember when we released the XI in 1996? No one ever thought to use patent leather on a basketball shoe before. So, I'm sure it'll have JUST as much impact today if we throw patent leather, clear soles, and an elephant print derivative on the "new" Jordans." The flagship shoe has become an afterthought. That's nothing new. We've been talking about it on NT for years.

2. This is a pure failure of vision on their part. They're reacting to the Internet with the same adverserial stodginess as the music industry following the mp3 revolution. The industry spent untold time and money fighting, tooth and nail, a losing battle against the consumer. Jordan brand is doing the same thing by attempting to keep the product under such a tight lockdown that we can't see or discuss it months in advance. The Internet MADE the retro craze happen. It's not a coincidence. Sneaker collecting went mainstream and the online community provided the tipping point. If you aren't building anticipation online, if people who LOVE sneakers couldn't care less about your product, then how on earth do you expect the average consumer to care - much less care enough to spend $190? Consumers WANT to see what's coming out months in advance. They want to talk about it. They want to critique it. They want to plan their purchases.

If I were a betting man, I would bet against the Jordan 2009 being a product that I care about. Yet, by sheer hubris, Jordan brand is banking on the possibility that people will put $190 away on BLIND FAITH that the Jordan 2009 will be worth it. Stupid.

3. They've been doing their best to push old school Jordan fans out of the market and replace them with younger, less discerning consumers and - if that's by design - then they've succeeded in that regard. I've generally lost interest.

How you convince the 15-19 year old consumer to buy the Jordan 2009, as opposed to one or more of the other 80 "limited edition" shoes coming out that month, is beyond me. Why should they care? You've given them a great reason not to add it to their collections for sheer "completion" since it's not even a numbered product. Goodness knows it's given me a great excuse to do the same, and I own I-XX3.

What they could do with the 2009, if they're at all interested in meaningful market segmentation, would be to position the 2009 as an absolute state of the art product - the best piece of basketball equipment a player could purchase, a sleek, sophisticated product that does justice to - rather than mocks - the Jordan styling sensibility that drove the classic products the brand now milks to the point of utter self-mockery.

The Air Jordan is SUPPOSED to be the flagship shoe not just for Jordan brand, not just for Nike, but for the ENTIRE sneaker industry. It sets the bar. The attempt, however half-hearted, to move to sustainable design standards for the Air Jordan XX3 was a great move. There are, now, no excuses. They MUST show that commitment to sustainability wasn't a marketing gimmick, to make sure that the 2009 represents the cutting edge of performance and sustainability. Produce a sophisticated, high performance basketball shoe that utilizes no toxic adhesives, animal products, PVC, and polyurethane and you've got a sale. Produce more middling garbage at a premium price point and watch them clog up store inventory like a 21/2 pack.

eek.gif
Very well put.

Jordan Brand actually shouldve seen this coming...

They over-produced this year, and it caught up.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

The 2009 has no pics and is the first jay thats not in the 1-23 so until the pics come out and suprises us. Then there is no hype cause everyones expectations are low

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

Originally Posted by TNTRMSKD

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

I am positive this is being noted and monitored by the folks at Jordan Brand. They have to see these forums and see the apathy towards the new flagship model. Right? It is almost December and no one is asking for info regarding a shoe that comes out in February. I never remember there not being at least a little chatter regarding the forthcoming Air Jordan. That is insane to me. It is indicative of not only a huge shift in focus by Jordan Brand., but also a huge shift in demand by the consumers. So what do you think, is this how JB wanted it? Is this how they have positioned themselves? Was our apathy towards the flagship model their goal? Or do you think this is scaring Jordan Brand? Is our indifference towards the 24th Air Jordan a glaring problem in their eyes? Have the terrorist won?
That's where you're wrong. If they bothered to pay attention to half the stuff that is said on these forums and ones like it, they wouldn't have released half the fusion junk they did. They either don't look to public opinion, or disregard it altogether.

Yep they acting just like Chrysler GM and Ford. They design what they want and then tell us to buy it. but now the economy is worsening, people are weighing their options and for the first time JB is in a situation where they cant tell their consumer what to buy and they have no idea how to act because they are used to just doing their own thing and still making huge profits.

hahaha its all true

Originally Posted by Method Man

3. They've been doing their best to push old school Jordan fans out of the market and replace them with younger, less discerning consumers and - if that's by design - then they've succeeded in that regard. I've generally lost interest.

This was my main point. It certainly appears that way. And if that was their intention, how sad is it that I still can't wait to see the signature model? Is taking away the onus on the signature model their way of waving a white flag and falling into complacency? I understand it is harder to sell a signatureshoe of someone that a lot of buyers didn't even get to watch in his prime. So is this giving in to that challenge? If they give you little reason towant the new Air Jordan, is it easier for them to say that it isn't in demand and that Signature shoes don't work?

Also. We need more than one dude wearing the signature shoe. Please!

I also think the look of the shoes have to do with. I know Air Jordans are meant to be a basketball shoes. But the shoes have become so high tech (beacause ofthe nature of it being a basketball shoe) that it made it so bulky and not casual looking enough to be worn with a pair of jeans. Which means a lot of thepeople who dont play basketball but they are sneaker heads wont be getting them for the fact that they cant wear them with their jeans. If you look at thebetter selling shoes such as the dunks, and they sbs, the all stars, the superstars and the AM1. All those shoes have a simple look to them. I mean 120 bucksfor a pair of sbs is expensive given the technology that is inside. So while the 190 price tag does turn ppl away, I think the look of the shoe has to play abigger role.

Back
Top Bottom