Tidal Streaming!!

Agreed, they should've put some struggling artist out there to be the "face" of this service. Nobody is feeling sorry for millionaires not getting paid.

Yet artist who aren't millionaires have came out several times and stated how Spotify/ Beats etc etc are robbing artist and getting rich off of them. But as always the "celeb" takes the hit and scrutiny while some older white dude in a suit is making big bank off the talent of others and yet nobody has a problem with it.

This **** happens in every industry and those guys in the suits, in those offices who don't give a **** about music at all are allowed to move in the shadows without any scrutiny.

I'm on social media and watching dudes laugh and pray for the downfall of a company that is 1-2 months in, has already been valued at 5 times its initial price & has yet to even rollout a portion of the exclusive content and ideas they plan on.

It's the most ******ed rationale for something i've ever heard. The artist dont deserve to make money off their art, but we'll gladly pay 10$ for a service that makes billionaire corporate guys richer, & allows them to profit off someone else's work.

yes and no. i have no personal connection to those companies. apple ive vowed to never support. and i haven't. i am 100% against what they do in the tech world. samsung im just disappointed with when it comes to their phones. even this latest s6/edge... theres just nothing new. i was in the market for a new phone for months. i waited on it. they talked about designing it from the ground up and all new this and all new that. when i finally saw it after it came out... it was the same as always, it even looks the same. what redesign? what all new? my phone is TWO going on THREE years old now and i cant see a reason to upgrade yet? and i dont even like my phone? they sold the sizzle and messed up the steak. 

but... samsung never came out and said this will change phones forever. they never said together, we can make curved edges historical. we need to increase the price of our phones cuz our manufacturers are taking too big a cut lol

So your mad that a company Tried to use Advertising?? What company doesn't use excessive marketing to sell a product. You mean to tell me Drinking Gatorade doesn't leave me jumping like Lebron James? That Drinking Ciroc doesn't leave me partying amongst stars in LV? That Taco Bell hasn't completely revolutionized morning breakfast?

I'ma call a spade a spade, if your really upset that Tidal tried to "repackage an old idea and sell it as new" Then what products do you use without feeling guilty?

And for the record this is revolutionizing the music industry by allowing artist to make more off their music rather then allowing corporate guys to make money off other peoples music. Not simply the Jay Z's & Madonna's but the guy who may only have two hits and fades away and has to sit back while corporations rape their royalties

People are giving Jay(and company) too much credit. If you think they put up all the money for this you are sadly mistaken. There are white guys in suits at Tidal who will be making billions also just the artist will get .05 instead of .005. They are hoping the celebrity wave pushes them to have a bigger market share so they can afford to pay the artist more. But until then they will charge the consumer more for things like high quality audio that most people wouldn't be able to appreciate with their current set up as said by many here.

Sounds just like when they said oh Jay Z is buying the nets and moving them to Brooklyn. When in reality he owned like 1/15th of 1 percent of the nets.

Last edited:
So your mad that a company Tried to use Advertising?? What company doesn't use excessive marketing to sell a product. You mean to tell me Drinking Gatorade doesn't leave me jumping like Lebron James? That Drinking Ciroc doesn't leave me partying amongst stars in LV? That Taco Bell hasn't completely revolutionized morning breakfast?

I'ma call a spade a spade, if your really upset that Tidal tried to "repackage an old idea and sell it as new" Then what products do you use without feeling guilty?

And for the record this is revolutionizing the music industry by allowing artist to make more off their music rather then allowing corporate guys to make money off other peoples music. Not simply the Jay Z's & Madonna's but the guy who may only have two hits and fades away and has to sit back while corporations rape their royalties
I think now this generation has a sense of entitlement with music and movies.

They'll complain about music, but won't support the artist music. Record sales are a way to show you have a fanbase. That's how tours and shows are lined up. You don't sell records, the less you get per show. Yeah, you can go indie, but it's a lot harder to promote your product and reach the people. Most people are diehard enough to even support artist. They'll move on to the next hot upcoming artist and it will be out of sight, out mind.
Do you realize how much Spotify makes and how much they're worth? It's worth almost $10 billion. It's now worth more than the entire recording industry, and they pay the artist peanuts. You get like .005 to .007 to stream a song and that's if you own your publishing. So that's getting split up. A lot of older artist don't own their publishing, so they get nada.

That's why someone like Taylor Swift pulled her music. They're making a lot more off her music than she is, and they're doing absolutely nothing but hosting it. They promote their product, not the artist. You can stream a new album the day it comes out on Spotify, and download it for offline use and you don't even get a penny.

They're the ones creating the product making someone else rich. The dude who owns it is worth $3 bil.

But people want to get upset for the way they launched it 
laugh.gif

Ya'll want jay-Z and the artist to fail, but some dude is getting billions.

Last edited:
^ slicknick951 slicknick951 How is Jay owning a percentage of the nets relevant to this topic? Is referencing that suppose to validate your opinion that this was a failed business move? Cuz if we look at facts, Jay's ownership in the Nets worked out pretty dam favorably for him.

How do you guys download music movies or media and feel no guilt?

Really, is it not exactly theft?

I can only speak towards music, If I like an album I downloaded, then I am going to the store to cop a physical copy. I only dl it for free to throw on my phone.

On top of that I hit shows for artists I like and cop merchandise every now and then as well. So i have no guilt what so ever in downloading for free.

Last edited:
^ slicknick951 slicknick951 How is Jay owning a percentage of the nets relevant to this topic? Is referencing that suppose to validate your opinion that this was a failed business move? Cuz if we look at facts, Jay's ownership in the Nets worked out pretty dam favorably for him.

I can only speak towards music, If I like an album I downloaded, then I am going to the store to cop a physical copy. I only dl it for free to throw on my phone.

On top of that I hit shows for artists I like and cop merchandise every now and then as well. So i have no guilt what so ever in downloading for free.

People are giving Jay(and company) too much credit. If you think they put up all the money for this you are sadly mistaken. There are white guys in suits at Tidal who will be making billions also just the artist will get .05 instead of .005. They are hoping the celebrity wave pushes them to have a bigger market share so they can afford to pay the artist more. But until then they will charge the consumer more for things like high quality audio that most people wouldn't be able to appreciate with their current set up as said by many here.

Sounds just like when they said oh Jay Z is buying the nets and moving them to Brooklyn. When in reality he owned like 1/15th of 1 percent of the nets.
I think now this generation has a sense of entitlement with music and movies.

They'll complain about music, but won't support the artist music. Record sales are a way to show you have a fanbase. That's how tours and shows are lined up. You don't sell records, the less you get per show. Yeah, you can go indie, but it's a lot harder to promote your product and reach the people. Most people are diehard enough to even support artist. They'll move on to the next hot upcoming artist and it will be out of sight, out mind.

jay being the face isn't offensive. thats some hater s*** to say. getting shafted? let me explain something to you. these music streaming places dont just find new music and throw it up for everyone to listen to. these artists sign paperwork with the payment plans explained THOROUGHLY. they enter into contracts with these services and then GIVE them the music as per the contract. if someone tells me something i dont like in a contract...i dont sign. u have no idea how grimey the music biz is. i feel nothing when it comes to these top artists getting "shafted." u have no idea what that looks like yet, trust me. dont buy into their story about how much they get robbed.

Do you realize how much Spotify makes and how much they're worth? It's worth almost $10 billion. It's now worth more than the entire recording industry, and they pay the artist peanuts. You get like .005 to .007 to stream a song and that's if you own your publishing. So that's getting split up. A lot of older artist don't own their publishing, so they get nada.

That's why someone like Taylor Swift pulled her music. They're making a lot more off her music than she is, and they're doing absolutely nothing but hosting it. They promote their product, not the artist. You can stream a new album the day it comes out on Spotify, and download it for offline use and you don't even get a penny.

They're the ones creating the product making someone else rich. The dude who owns it is worth $3 bil.

But people want to get upset for the way they launched it :lol:

Ya'll want jay-Z and the artist to fail, but some dude is getting billions.

People who are buying into the celebrity and helping out their artist idea the theory is flawed.

The artist still don't own a major percentage so you are still making the suits rich.

Yes Jay made a couple million off the nets deal but Bruce Ratner who owned 20% made over 100 million from the deal.

Sorry music for free is just too good of a deal to pass up. I don't care about supporting the artists because at the end of the day I can be starving on the street and nobody will support me. When I want to support an artist I go see them perform live

Its theft, but I don't feel bad about it. Its the same as streaming pirated movies or TV shows, I can pay for a Netflix service or view in the same quality for free whenever I want. I won't make excuses or justify it, it is theft.

Listening to something with your ears shouldn't cost money
well typically... when u listen to something, its with your ears. and i disagree. art created for your ears is no different than art created for your eyes, or art created for your mouth. you pay to watch tv, you pay to go out to a restuarant and eat... music is no different. someones art (altho more often than not, it sucks nowadays) is to be paid for. i understand why people dont pay much tho. like i said, music sucks now for pop n rnb n rap in general. the biggest artists are typically the only ones selling, and its either becuz of their name or they REALLY put out some quality. ex jayz/drake's music vs kendricks

None of this post makes Sense in the least bit.

You claim that Artist are signing these deals so their at fault. They are signing these deals because up until now there were no other options. Tidal damn sure isn't giving back 25% percent in royalties nobody is claiming that however, they are giving back a MUCH LARGER portion than Spotify & other streaming services therefore making it much better for the artist.

Also nobody claimed that artist make the majority of their money off of sales from songs. What does that have to do with them attempting to make more money off of the sales from song?

You are also ignoring all of the Writers who can't go on tour, who cant sell merch, who have no celbrity to sell. They are the ones who are getting ridiculously robbed by these streaming services. It's known that even off of CD/MP3 sales writers aren't getting paid much, now you have streaming which is predicted to be the future of music consumption, and you take these writers wages and give them an even smaller piece of the pie?

Your claims that artist shouldn't accept these cheap deals from streaming services is the EXACT reason why they put together Tidal.

And i'm also trying to understand how when the artist are making money off of their work the advertising is too strong and leaves a bad taste but when Beats plastered all of hiphop with colorful headphones and full out celebrity marketing campaigns people rush to the store to go get them.

This is very Similar to sport stars and sports owners.... The public Knows the important figures and the lifestyle that comes along with it, and it causes the average man to be a bit envious and ultra critical of the star players. But the guys who profit the most are the owners and they are never scrutinized for their actions or regarded as being too greedy despite them making 10X what the stars do, and conducting themselves in a much worse manor.

and my problem isnt with the people who subscribe to no music streaming services... thats a choice allowed to whoever if they want to spend money or not.

My problem is with those who will pay for spotify, pay for pandora etc etc... but want to take a stand against artist giving you a service for the same price, that benefits them more than some suits.

If you subscribe to a music streaming service already... why would you rather pay your money to a corporation making money off of artist rather then paying the exact same amount of money to a corporation that benefits the artist.

None of this post makes Sense in the least bit.

You claim that Artist are signing these deals so their at fault. They are signing these deals because up until now there were no other options. Tidal damn sure isn't giving back 25% percent in royalties nobody is claiming that however, they are giving back a MUCH LARGER portion than Spotify & other streaming services therefore making it much better for the artist.

Also nobody claimed that artist make the majority of their money off of sales from songs. What does that have to do with them attempting to make more money off of the sales from song?

You are also ignoring all of the Writers who can't go on tour, who cant sell merch, who have no celbrity to sell. They are the ones who are getting ridiculously robbed by these streaming services. It's known that even off of CD/MP3 sales writers aren't getting paid much, now you have streaming which is predicted to be the future of music consumption, and you take these writers wages and give them an even smaller piece of the pie?

Your claims that artist shouldn't accept these cheap deals from streaming services is the EXACT reason why they put together Tidal.

And i'm also trying to understand how when the artist are making money off of their work the advertising is too strong and leaves a bad taste but when Beats plastered all of hiphop with colorful headphones and full out celebrity marketing campaigns people rush to the store to go get them.

This is very Similar to sport stars and sports owners.... The public Knows the important figures and the lifestyle that comes along with it, and it causes the average man to be a bit envious and ultra critical of the star players. But the guys who profit the most are the owners and they are never scrutinized for their actions or regarded as being too greedy despite them making 10X what the stars do, and conducting themselves in a much worse manor.
i really need to stop talking to you because i keep overestimating your reading comprehension. if you SIGN, ITS YOUR FAULT. Taylor swift withdrew right? She withdrew long before tidal became a thing. If artists wanted to release their own content to fans for a small subscription, they didn't need tidal to do it. they just didn't see a need. 

also, if u acknowledge that the bulk of their money doesn't come from music, why do u keep talking about them getting shafted? thus far, we have...you believe these artists are getting robbed on deals that they signed for. ignoring writers??? I AM A WRITER! I AM A PRODUCER! you still don't understand your position here. there is nothing you can teach me about anything that goes on behind the scenes. you can regurgitate what you've heard somewhere online or from a kanye rant, but u cant tell me anything new. AND you're still wrong. In a nutshell, every song has a contract attached. 

if i produce and write a song, i now own 50% of the song. whoever mixed/engineered it will get 25% and the artist will get 25%. This is a very oversimplified split. Your celebrity will allow you to move those numbers around.  But don't generalize talking about who gets paid what because you clearly don't know. Nobody is giving writers a smaller piece of the pie, writers aint looking at online revenue saying "damn man i wish somebody made a new streaming service so i can get paid .0005 cents per play instead of .00005 cents per play." Because online isn't where we make our money. PLEAAAASEEE stop.

I didn't say artists shouldn't accept those deals, i only said they CHOSE to accept it...and then complained about it? Don't like it? Don't sign! PERIOD. how is this so hard for you to understand? If Jimmy Iovine popped up at my job right now and said TEK ill sign you to an in-house deal for $500,000 up front for a 10 year deal, but i own all of your publishing and royalties, appearances, and marketing" ID SAY NO. simple as that. o_O

Beats didn't say they're changing the history of music (even tho they did) they released a good product in a non-saturated market and marketed PERFECTLY to get to their position. MATTER OF FACT speaking of headphones I actually do marketing and campaigning for a competing headphone company! Like what CAN  you teach me about this man? you defend tidal like you're on their payroll. what is your deal? I'm done responding to you. You then reiterated my point of "this is called captialism and business." by saying the owner makes more. like what are you even trying to prove?

im done man. people like u read a wikipedia article and think you know lol. you are sooooooo far out of your position right now 
roll.gif

bottom line. they f'd up. and everybody knows it except for you i guess. if you like it, i love it. im really not this invested.

Last edited:
Wonder if Jay gonna stay and fight the tide, or abandon ship and enjoy the flip money.

Last edited:
Didn't know it was that serious. Had a free trail for google music for about 3 months, loved it, but I'm not paying a subscription fee for music. Too each his own.

Guessing we're just gonna ignore what's common fact about the music industry bc NT's very own industry insider Tek says he knows everything about the industry. Still have yet to see a legitimate reason why grown men are "offended" by a new music service rolling out :rolleyes

Last edited:
For some reason I get the feelng that if Jay-Z, etc wasn't the ones spearheading this a lot of y'all wouldn't be going so hard in support :lol:

:smh: :lol: @ Kanye deleting those tweets

They went about this **** all wrong anyway, get the top 1% of rap & R&B on stage and complain how yall not getting paid brehs :rolleyes

What they should've done was got some underground/independent artists with moderate fanbases as those are the real losers in all of this

Last edited:
Guessing we're just gonna ignore what's common fact about the music industry bc NT's very own industry insider Tek says he knows everything about the industry. Still have yet to see a legitimate reason why grown men are "offended" by a new music service rolling out
eyes.gif
please don't refer to me as NT's anything. and everything i said is fact, which is why half of what he said backed up my points but who cares at the end of the day. spend ur money where u want. if u want to pay $20 for some streaming go ahead. if you want to pay $10? go ahead. if you rather stockpile albums for free and create your own playlists? go ahead. either way, this venture is flopping as everyone thought it would right now.

Lame dudes wanna always justify corporations and say it's the artists fault for signing to begin with.. Really?

When there is this massive machine out there that will promote your music, but only pay fractions of a dime it's a tuff spot for musicians

Lame dudes wanna always justify corporations and say it's the artists fault for signing to begin with.. Really?

When there is this massive machine out there that will promote your music, but only pay fractions of a dime it's a tuff spot for musicians
its not a tough spot at all. no1 put a gun to your head. so if you sign a Jojo contract, thats your fault... not the big machine. You CAN fight the machine and be successful like Mac Miller, or Macklemore. both are multi-millionaires. u can hold out independent and stack your cards until the labels come to you with a deal that YOU want. plenty of artists have done that. you're only in a tough spot... if you put yourself in a tough spot. SURE! a label can promote your music... but every dollar they spend on you, you gotta pay back. every. cent. AND you have to pay it back BEFORE you see any money of your own. so like i said before... just dont sign. or bypass the label and get a publishing deal on your own.
So Jay took an L?
nah. cuz if he flipped it right now he wouldve made A LOT of bank

Last edited:
Wasn't it an evaluation when they were trying to create all that hype??

After all the negativity that it has been taking I wonder what the current evaluation is at.

Back
Top Bottom