To atheists/agnostics/secular humanists (etc...) how will you raise kids or get in relationships?

I've been thinking about this one a lot lately... I think im pretty much a secular humanist (I wish I wasn't since it seems to easy to fit in with being a Christian, but I am what I am...
laugh.gif
) but it seems almost pointless to bring up religion when getting to know the womenz knowing full and well they want a christian dude or something of the sort... Outside of religion, i'm sure i'm just as capable as any other dude. Religion always seems to be that kill-switch on relationships though... especially if you are asked how you will raise your kids... do you straight out tell them "there is no god" or what?

In short, I know what I am and how I think...but how can it be communicated to others when necessary? As of late I'm thinking I should just fib about it and fake the funk to keep the options open...
eyes.gif

It would be so much easier if all of these religious skeptics "came out of the closet" as it may be. There is a lot of them but I feel, much like gays, they're kinda scare to express themselves and how they feel about religion and life in general. I almost understand what they go through. I'm sure they don't want to be ridiculed or go through what they experience and wish they didn't have to or even think they're not "normal" so they will to assimilate. I've hard this similar perspective when it comes to religion in that I almost used to think I was different or not normal for not being able to believe fully...but I know much better now and I'm more comfortable just outright saying how much of a skeptic I am of religion in general. (I know the jokes are coming about this line, but I'm trying to keep this one serious and I hope ya'll see where I'm going with this.
laugh.gif
).

I'm just thinking about this sort of intellectual cross-roads i'm at...

...and nah, i'm not thinking about getting married yet
laugh.gif
...just picking the NT's brains

I've been thinking about this one a lot lately... I think im pretty much a secular humanist (I wish I wasn't since it seems to easy to fit in with being a Christian, but I am what I am...
laugh.gif
) but it seems almost pointless to bring up religion when getting to know the womenz knowing full and well they want a christian dude or something of the sort... Outside of religion, i'm sure i'm just as capable as any other dude. Religion always seems to be that kill-switch on relationships though... especially if you are asked how you will raise your kids... do you straight out tell them "there is no god" or what?

In short, I know what I am and how I think...but how can it be communicated to others when necessary? As of late I'm thinking I should just fib about it and fake the funk to keep the options open...
eyes.gif

It would be so much easier if all of these religious skeptics "came out of the closet" as it may be. There is a lot of them but I feel, much like gays, they're kinda scare to express themselves and how they feel about religion and life in general. I almost understand what they go through. I'm sure they don't want to be ridiculed or go through what they experience and wish they didn't have to or even think they're not "normal" so they will to assimilate. I've hard this similar perspective when it comes to religion in that I almost used to think I was different or not normal for not being able to believe fully...but I know much better now and I'm more comfortable just outright saying how much of a skeptic I am of religion in general. (I know the jokes are coming about this line, but I'm trying to keep this one serious and I hope ya'll see where I'm going with this.
laugh.gif
).

I'm just thinking about this sort of intellectual cross-roads i'm at...

...and nah, i'm not thinking about getting married yet
laugh.gif
...just picking the NT's brains

Ran into this before with an ex, she was Catholic I'm an Atheist.  It actually never became a big issue, she accepted me for who I was, not my beliefs and vice versa. And no, religion wasn't why we broke up.

As for kids, I don't plan on lying to them, but for the most part I'll let them think for themselves.  I was raised Catholic, but through my own reasoning and belief I no longer am.  I'll let them come up with their own conclusion.

Ran into this before with an ex, she was Catholic I'm an Atheist.  It actually never became a big issue, she accepted me for who I was, not my beliefs and vice versa. And no, religion wasn't why we broke up.

As for kids, I don't plan on lying to them, but for the most part I'll let them think for themselves.  I was raised Catholic, but through my own reasoning and belief I no longer am.  I'll let them come up with their own conclusion.

Originally Posted by ayejreeun

Will you take them to church? Will you sit them down and tell them about what they're NOT being taught? Like Ive heard the "own conclusion" answer before but ...how will you facilitate that? They're going to be in school with kids that will be talking about subjects they know nothing about for example... how will you deal with that?

Will you take them to church? Will you sit them down and tell them about what they're NOT being taught? Like Ive heard the "own conclusion" answer before but ...how will you facilitate that? They're going to be in school with kids that will be talking about subjects they know nothing about for example... how will you deal with that?

my parents took me to church here and there but they aren't that religious and they let me decide on my own. i never really believed in god growing up and most of the girls i F with are the same. no one believes in god in the northwest
laugh.gif

my parents took me to church here and there but they aren't that religious and they let me decide on my own. i never really believed in god growing up and most of the girls i F with are the same. no one believes in god in the northwest
laugh.gif

Like myself, I'll let them come to their own conclusion regarding religion. I definitely won't be encouraging it. Beyond kindness, patience, honesty, and empathy, I think one of the most important things I'd encourage is to think all things through logically. Ask a lot of questions.

Like myself, I'll let them come to their own conclusion regarding religion. I definitely won't be encouraging it. Beyond kindness, patience, honesty, and empathy, I think one of the most important things I'd encourage is to think all things through logically. Ask a lot of questions.

Yeaaa My household will be like Will & Jada's. Pick which ever religion you want. Christian to Atheist its all the same.

Yeaaa My household will be like Will & Jada's. Pick which ever religion you want. Christian to Atheist its all the same.

Originally Posted by cartune

Will & Jada both belong to a cult though. Best believe their children are part of that cult as well.

Will & Jada both belong to a cult though. Best believe their children are part of that cult as well.

Athiests will be the new Christians in the next 10-20 years..
 with that said.. i hope they do the right thing and practice Christianity

heh. 

Athiests will be the new Christians in the next 10-20 years..
 with that said.. i hope they do the right thing and practice Christianity

heh. 

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

If I took them to church, I'd also have to take them to Temple, Mosques, and other houses of worship to even be "fair".  So no, I won't be taking them to those kinds of things.  I'd be open to any questions they have of me and I'd answer to the best of my knowledge, and seeing as I'm their father they'd probably more willing to listen to me then what some other kids are saying.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

If I took them to church, I'd also have to take them to Temple, Mosques, and other houses of worship to even be "fair".  So no, I won't be taking them to those kinds of things.  I'd be open to any questions they have of me and I'd answer to the best of my knowledge, and seeing as I'm their father they'd probably more willing to listen to me then what some other kids are saying.

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Yea.. No

Yea.. No

Yea.. No

You probabaly sip from the Kool-Aid too
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom