Torn between two phases of my life

Originally Posted by AIRRON

Originally Posted by roly2345

I feel you my friend, I have been collecting since the 90s, and a couple years back at the peak my collection was 260+pairs. I went thru the same thing a few years ago when I turned 30 myself, I just felt like my priorities started to change and I started selling my collection back in 09, when I first started it was hard because I had some heat that I was letting go and I didn't want to part with certain pairs, but after realizing that I could go a year or two before getting around to the same pair in my rotation and years of ongoing quality issues with JB I just thought it would be wise of me to sell my whole collection(while the shoes were still in one piece) and take that money and actually invest it in something that will be beneficial for me in the long run. After I saw all the money that I had put into my "collection" I could not believe it and could not justify the 260+ pairs I had. I now have about 60 pairs left and counting down. I have officially retired and once I sell or donate the last 60 pairs I have left, I will never own more than 5 pairs of sneakers at a time. I was very naive about finances in my late teens and early 20s, and would spend most of my disposal income on shoes and other crap never thinking about the future, now that I am 30+ I have to think about the future and how I am going to prepare myself for retirement. Looking back on it now I wish I would have take the tens of thousands of dollars that I gave to Nike and Phil Knight and used it to start investing back in the 90s and I probably would be looking at retirement in a few years instead of still having to work later into my life. I now have a couple pairs that I wear on my casual days and thats it for me. I'll leave this "shoe game" to all you all out there, good luck and hopefully one day you will all see this just another addiction like smoking and drinking that wastes you time and money. The only good thing is some Nike's are sought after and if DS or well cared for you may have a hope of reselling it. That's the only thing that has kept me half way sane is that I have been able to recoup at least more than 60-70% of what I paid for most of my collection and reinvest into actually securities.

So If I can leave you with one last thought, stop throwing your money away and making the CEO's and Millionaire Athlete's even richer than the are, just buy ONE pair of shoes because you need them not because you want them, and if you need something to do with that money thats burning a whole in your pocket then put it in a saving acct or invest it, trust me you'll thank me later.
That was deep and truly hit home. Im currently a senior in college and just as naive as u probably were, and i need to stop. Sneaker collecting is addicting and the select few chase the high. Really good to share your story
This thread and especially these two comments definitely were a wake up call for me. I'm just about to graduate from college as well, and as much as I love sneakers, it's becoming clear that I need to slow my buying down. It's great hearing the stories of the older dudes on this forum and being able to use their advice to keep myself from going down paths that I would rather avoid.

To the OP. Just buy what you like (and can afford) and if you can part with certain shoes sell them. Keep what you truely like. I am 37 married with childern. My collection is no where near as nice as yours or numerous but collecting shoes is expensive. Just allow yourself some room to buy the much wanted release and pass on those that are just so so.

To the OP. Just buy what you like (and can afford) and if you can part with certain shoes sell them. Keep what you truely like. I am 37 married with childern. My collection is no where near as nice as yours or numerous but collecting shoes is expensive. Just allow yourself some room to buy the much wanted release and pass on those that are just so so.

You can always hold on to them for your kids.

If they can't fit your shoe size...well...that's some extra retirement guap.

You can always hold on to them for your kids.

If they can't fit your shoe size...well...that's some extra retirement guap.

My collection is much smaller to say the least, but I know what you mean by saying you want them all... With students loans rolling in for me and the retro releases and others I struggle to make the right choice and hold off on something I do not need to say the least, sadly

My collection is much smaller to say the least, but I know what you mean by saying you want them all... With students loans rolling in for me and the retro releases and others I struggle to make the right choice and hold off on something I do not need to say the least, sadly

I have turned buying some Jordans into a family affair. This pic is of my shoe as well as my 17 and 3 year old daughters shoes
0ef155e06ab31d75b809395fb1413f02164cf72.pjpg

I have turned buying some Jordans into a family affair. This pic is of my shoe as well as my 17 and 3 year old daughters shoes
0ef155e06ab31d75b809395fb1413f02164cf72.pjpg

Originally Posted by bucknuteagle

I feel you my friend, I have been collecting since the 90s, and a couple years back at the peak my collection was 260+pairs. I went thru the same thing a few years ago when I turned 30 myself, I just felt like my priorities started to change and I started selling my collection back in 09, when I first started it was hard because I had some heat that I was letting go and I didn't want to part with certain pairs, but after realizing that I could go a year or two before getting around to the same pair in my rotation and years of ongoing quality issues with JB I just thought it would be wise of me to sell my whole collection(while the shoes were still in one piece) and take that money and actually invest it in something that will be beneficial for me in the long run. After I saw all the money that I had put into my "collection" I could not believe it and could not justify the 260+ pairs I had. I now have about 60 pairs left and counting down. I have officially retired and once I sell or donate the last 60 pairs I have left, I will never own more than 5 pairs of sneakers at a time. I was very naive about finances in my late teens and early 20s, and would spend most of my disposal income on shoes and other crap never thinking about the future, now that I am 30+ I have to think about the future and how I am going to prepare myself for retirement. Looking back on it now I wish I would have take the tens of thousands of dollars that I gave to Nike and Phil Knight and used it to start investing back in the 90s and I probably would be looking at retirement in a few years instead of still having to work later into my life. I now have a couple pairs that I wear on my casual days and thats it for me. I'll leave this "shoe game" to all you all out there, good luck and hopefully one day you will all see this just another addiction like smoking and drinking that wastes you time and money. The only good thing is some Nike's are sought after and if DS or well cared for you may have a hope of reselling it. That's the only thing that has kept me half way sane is that I have been able to recoup at least more than 60-70% of what I paid for most of my collection and reinvest into actually securities.

So If I can leave you with one last thought, stop throwing your money away and making the CEO's and Millionaire Athlete's even richer than the are, just buy ONE pair of shoes because you need them not because you want them, and if you need something to do with that money thats burning a whole in your pocket then put it in a saving acct or invest it, trust me you'll thank me later.
That was deep and truly hit home. Im currently a senior in college and just as naive as u probably were, and i need to stop. Sneaker collecting is addicting and the select few chase the high. Really good to share your story
This thread and especially these two comments definitely were a wake up call for me. I'm just about to graduate from college as well, and as much as I love sneakers, it's becoming clear that I need to slow my buying down. It's great hearing the stories of the older dudes on this forum and being able to use their advice to keep myself from going down paths that I would rather avoid.
Thanks fellas, yeah I am also a senior about to finish with my degree in finance, I wish everyone on NT and all "sneakerheads" around the world had to take a basic finance class before you ever buy one pair of shoes more than you reasonably need, if they teach you about how to spend and save money, and also teach you about the time value of money, interest(most importantly compounding of interest) and stocks, bonds and treasury's.  I believe that it would open the eyes of many and hopefully steer them away from this habit or addiction(or whatever you wanna call it).  It is unfortunate that at a time when our own great country is failing at fiscal responsibility and facing a day when we may not be #1 anymore, and emerging economies such as China are poised to take over the #1 spot in the world, we as americans must also be fiscally responsible for over selves and families so we do not have to be reliant on our already strained(almost at a point of collapse) economy and government entitlement programs.

If we continue on this path of sitting back and letting the government take care of everything and letting them take care of everyone, there is not going to be anything left for the future generations.

Social Security and Medicare probably not going to be around for anyone on niketalk, so I suggest that instead of think what next pair your going to double up on, you think about saving or investing that money.  Because when its 25-30yrs down the line and you need some medicine or medical treatment, or maybe a stay at home nurse and you have no money to pay for it you can think about all those hundreds of shoes that you spent your money on and you used to have when you were in your 20s or 30s(because I guarantee that even if keep DS your shoes will not last 30 yrs) .

And I know everyone on here says, I am gonna be rocking Js when I'm old and this and that, but really I can also guarantee that most of not all "sneakerheads" will give a @#$% about a pair of shoes when your in the latest stages of your life.  But for those who are more power to you. 

And to those that have their finances in check and are fiscal responsible for themselves if you want to continue to throw your money away then more power to you, but if you ever get tired of buy kicks, holler at me I got a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.

Thanks

Originally Posted by bucknuteagle

Thanks fellas, yeah I am also a senior about to finish with my degree in finance, I wish everyone on NT and all "sneakerheads" around the world had to take a basic finance class before you ever buy one pair of shoes more than you reasonably need, if they teach you about how to spend and save money, and also teach you about the time value of money, interest(most importantly compounding of interest) and stocks, bonds and treasury's.  I believe that it would open the eyes of many and hopefully steer them away from this habit or addiction(or whatever you wanna call it).  It is unfortunate that at a time when our own great country is failing at fiscal responsibility and facing a day when we may not be #1 anymore, and emerging economies such as China are poised to take over the #1 spot in the world, we as americans must also be fiscally responsible for over selves and families so we do not have to be reliant on our already strained(almost at a point of collapse) economy and government entitlement programs.

If we continue on this path of sitting back and letting the government take care of everything and letting them take care of everyone, there is not going to be anything left for the future generations.

Social Security and Medicare probably not going to be around for anyone on niketalk, so I suggest that instead of think what next pair your going to double up on, you think about saving or investing that money.  Because when its 25-30yrs down the line and you need some medicine or medical treatment, or maybe a stay at home nurse and you have no money to pay for it you can think about all those hundreds of shoes that you spent your money on and you used to have when you were in your 20s or 30s(because I guarantee that even if keep DS your shoes will not last 30 yrs) .

And I know everyone on here says, I am gonna be rocking Js when I'm old and this and that, but really I can also guarantee that most of not all "sneakerheads" will give a @#$% about a pair of shoes when your in the latest stages of your life.  But for those who are more power to you. 

And to those that have their finances in check and are fiscal responsible for themselves if you want to continue to throw your money away then more power to you, but if you ever get tired of buy kicks, holler at me I got a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.

Thanks

Im 20 and blow my money on bills, shoes, clothes, car, and paintball. These stories make me want to start saving and slow down on some things.

Im 20 and blow my money on bills, shoes, clothes, car, and paintball. These stories make me want to start saving and slow down on some things.

I'm on that same boat, just turned 30 and closet space is really getting scarce. But I also have a 1 year old son and he made the decision more clearer. Sold a bunch and just kept the ones i really loved.

I'm on that same boat, just turned 30 and closet space is really getting scarce. But I also have a 1 year old son and he made the decision more clearer. Sold a bunch and just kept the ones i really loved.

I'm 30 and I just unloaded a lot of my kicks here on NT. One day I was wearing my Bred 12's which I barely wear and the sole started to come off. I was pissed. Then every chick I would talk to did not care too much about my small Jordan collection. I looked around and noticed that only guys appreciated my collection. There were some chicks that noticed but they were usually <21 yrs old. I'm 30 looking good for <21 yr old girls and dudes. So I am trying to change up my wardrobe. Now my concern is to look good enough people want to pay me big money.

I'm 30 and I just unloaded a lot of my kicks here on NT. One day I was wearing my Bred 12's which I barely wear and the sole started to come off. I was pissed. Then every chick I would talk to did not care too much about my small Jordan collection. I looked around and noticed that only guys appreciated my collection. There were some chicks that noticed but they were usually <21 yrs old. I'm 30 looking good for <21 yr old girls and dudes. So I am trying to change up my wardrobe. Now my concern is to look good enough people want to pay me big money.

Originally Posted by thenewjs23

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by thenewjs23

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Good Stuff Fellas!!

I'm 28 and am a Bank Manager. I've set up my retirement and have things like that settled a little bit.

More recently, where it became more serious, I was looking at picking up some 2001 Bred XI's and the guy wanted $350. I was very close to pulling the trigger but sat and thought about how my son drinks $35 special formula. I thought about how I could literally buy him enough formula for 2 months. The prices and the shoe game have gotten a little crazy with Resellers and camping out!!

To me, if you play ball, buy some good comfortable shoes (Kobe V's
tongue.gif
). It makes a huge difference on your feet. But doubling up isn't as important anymore because they do retro things pretty often. Umm, I did double up on the Kobes cuz I got 1 pair for $35 and another pair for $70. And a few of you guys mentioned it, I usually sell some of my old stuff if I want to grab a new pair. But going back, to double up on a pair of shoes isn't necessary anymore cuz, you know what, the Kobe VI's are going to go on sale next year.

And lastly, thank you fellas and God bless. I know on the first page someone quoted the Bible and said how our Treasure is in Heaven. That couldn't be any more truthful. You know we all work hard for our money, so how you spend it is up to you. It does really make you think how we should reprioritize our lives. Because (My wife works at a nursing home) when we are older and have alzheimers or are terminally ill, we wont care about our posessions!!

Good Stuff Fellas!!

I'm 28 and am a Bank Manager. I've set up my retirement and have things like that settled a little bit.

More recently, where it became more serious, I was looking at picking up some 2001 Bred XI's and the guy wanted $350. I was very close to pulling the trigger but sat and thought about how my son drinks $35 special formula. I thought about how I could literally buy him enough formula for 2 months. The prices and the shoe game have gotten a little crazy with Resellers and camping out!!

To me, if you play ball, buy some good comfortable shoes (Kobe V's
tongue.gif
). It makes a huge difference on your feet. But doubling up isn't as important anymore because they do retro things pretty often. Umm, I did double up on the Kobes cuz I got 1 pair for $35 and another pair for $70. And a few of you guys mentioned it, I usually sell some of my old stuff if I want to grab a new pair. But going back, to double up on a pair of shoes isn't necessary anymore cuz, you know what, the Kobe VI's are going to go on sale next year.

And lastly, thank you fellas and God bless. I know on the first page someone quoted the Bible and said how our Treasure is in Heaven. That couldn't be any more truthful. You know we all work hard for our money, so how you spend it is up to you. It does really make you think how we should reprioritize our lives. Because (My wife works at a nursing home) when we are older and have alzheimers or are terminally ill, we wont care about our posessions!!

This has to be the best thread on Niketalk. Just a bunch of OG's schooling all the young heads about the future and responsibilities. Salute.

This has to be the best thread on Niketalk. Just a bunch of OG's schooling all the young heads about the future and responsibilities. Salute.

Back
Top Bottom