Torn between two phases of my life

Originally Posted by roly2345

I feel you my friend, I have been collecting since the 90s, and a couple years back at the peak my collection was 260+pairs. I went thru the same thing a few years ago when I turned 30 myself, I just felt like my priorities started to change and I started selling my collection back in 09, when I first started it was hard because I had some heat that I was letting go and I didn't want to part with certain pairs, but after realizing that I could go a year or two before getting around to the same pair in my rotation and years of ongoing quality issues with JB I just thought it would be wise of me to sell my whole collection(while the shoes were still in one piece) and take that money and actually invest it in something that will be beneficial for me in the long run. After I saw all the money that I had put into my "collection" I could not believe it and could not justify the 260+ pairs I had. I now have about 60 pairs left and counting down. I have officially retired and once I sell or donate the last 60 pairs I have left, I will never own more than 5 pairs of sneakers at a time. I was very naive about finances in my late teens and early 20s, and would spend most of my disposal income on shoes and other crap never thinking about the future, now that I am 30+ I have to think about the future and how I am going to prepare myself for retirement. Looking back on it now I wish I would have take the tens of thousands of dollars that I gave to Nike and Phil Knight and used it to start investing back in the 90s and I probably would be looking at retirement in a few years instead of still having to work later into my life. I now have a couple pairs that I wear on my casual days and thats it for me. I'll leave this "shoe game" to all you all out there, good luck and hopefully one day you will all see this just another addiction like smoking and drinking that wastes you time and money. The only good thing is some Nike's are sought after and if DS or well cared for you may have a hope of reselling it. That's the only thing that has kept me half way sane is that I have been able to recoup at least more than 60-70% of what I paid for most of my collection and reinvest into actually securities.

So If I can leave you with one last thought, stop throwing your money away and making the CEO's and Millionaire Athlete's even richer than the are, just buy ONE pair of shoes because you need them not because you want them, and if you need something to do with that money thats burning a whole in your pocket then put it in a saving acct or invest it, trust me you'll thank me later.
what he said...

I believe that many of us, that are older, have found ourselves in that situation. Given the fact that each pair is a part of you I would say keep them.  Knowing that you can pull out a pair and have a memory that goes along with it is a great feeling.  There's nothing wrong playing dress up for the week 
happy.gif
. You gotta pay the bills.  But what's the point if you can't enjoy what you work for? 
indifferent.gif
  As far as space goes I recommend finding a place with larger closets. 
happy.gif
  Either way I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever decision you make.

I believe that many of us, that are older, have found ourselves in that situation. Given the fact that each pair is a part of you I would say keep them.  Knowing that you can pull out a pair and have a memory that goes along with it is a great feeling.  There's nothing wrong playing dress up for the week 
happy.gif
. You gotta pay the bills.  But what's the point if you can't enjoy what you work for? 
indifferent.gif
  As far as space goes I recommend finding a place with larger closets. 
happy.gif
  Either way I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever decision you make.

Wow, this topic is exactly what I needed to read. It's sort of therapeutic knowing that there are a lot of other people that are in the same situation as I am. I'm in the exact same boat as OP in reference to where my mind is right now about my shoe collecting hobby. I'm going to be 29 years old this year and I have about 250-300 pairs of shoes, totally lost count and stopped counting a couple of years ago. When I take a step back and calculate the amount of money I've spent on shoes, it just totally shocks me. If you just give it a lowball average of about $100 per pair, I'm looking at $25,000-$30,000 just sitting there in my closet and all over my house. $*# did I get myself into? Keep in mind, that's a really lowball average too.
Well, what I've started to do is to sell some of my doubles since I know I would never wear them anyway. I used to always go by the motto "one to rock, one to stock" so I have a lot of doubles. I figure that should cut down my collection by a lot and I can put that money into a car that me and my wife are planning to buy since we are expecting another child in September. Any extra money, I'm going to put into my kids' college fund. I've really cut down on buying new releases, but there are always the ones that I feel I must get (i.e. True Blues, even though I already have (2) '01 and a '09).
I don't feel like I will ever stop buying shoes that I truly like and want, but I will definitely not be buying to the degree of how it was. I think that is a good way to start taking control of my shoe collecting hobby and it's a good median between necessity and luxury.

Wow, this topic is exactly what I needed to read. It's sort of therapeutic knowing that there are a lot of other people that are in the same situation as I am. I'm in the exact same boat as OP in reference to where my mind is right now about my shoe collecting hobby. I'm going to be 29 years old this year and I have about 250-300 pairs of shoes, totally lost count and stopped counting a couple of years ago. When I take a step back and calculate the amount of money I've spent on shoes, it just totally shocks me. If you just give it a lowball average of about $100 per pair, I'm looking at $25,000-$30,000 just sitting there in my closet and all over my house. $*# did I get myself into? Keep in mind, that's a really lowball average too.
Well, what I've started to do is to sell some of my doubles since I know I would never wear them anyway. I used to always go by the motto "one to rock, one to stock" so I have a lot of doubles. I figure that should cut down my collection by a lot and I can put that money into a car that me and my wife are planning to buy since we are expecting another child in September. Any extra money, I'm going to put into my kids' college fund. I've really cut down on buying new releases, but there are always the ones that I feel I must get (i.e. True Blues, even though I already have (2) '01 and a '09).
I don't feel like I will ever stop buying shoes that I truly like and want, but I will definitely not be buying to the degree of how it was. I think that is a good way to start taking control of my shoe collecting hobby and it's a good median between necessity and luxury.

Great stories in here. Since many of you are moving on i'd gladly take carmines in size 11 off ya
wink.gif

I'm about to be 26 and starting to transition out as well. Only a few pairs left that I need.

Great stories in here. Since many of you are moving on i'd gladly take carmines in size 11 off ya
wink.gif

I'm about to be 26 and starting to transition out as well. Only a few pairs left that I need.

haha my 10 year old is a size 8 and a half and already planning on taking my size 13's when he gets older.... then i look at how he destroys shoes now and im like hell no...
smile.gif

haha my 10 year old is a size 8 and a half and already planning on taking my size 13's when he gets older.... then i look at how he destroys shoes now and im like hell no...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by gzagenius

Originally Posted by eltouha

i feel a bit wasteful with only 30-40 pairs, and when i'm working (on pat leave now) i wear a pair every day. i also throw away all the boxes.

would that help with wearing all your pairs? [throwing out boxes]

yeah, boxes are cumbersome and ugly. here's the latest pic of my shoes, as you can see, very accessible.
20110608005.jpg

Originally Posted by gzagenius

Originally Posted by eltouha

i feel a bit wasteful with only 30-40 pairs, and when i'm working (on pat leave now) i wear a pair every day. i also throw away all the boxes.

would that help with wearing all your pairs? [throwing out boxes]

yeah, boxes are cumbersome and ugly. here's the latest pic of my shoes, as you can see, very accessible.
20110608005.jpg

Welcome to my life !
So true, same story for me bro, execpt I got size 12....

Next step, sell everything on eBay hahahahaha

Good luck!

Welcome to my life !
So true, same story for me bro, execpt I got size 12....

Next step, sell everything on eBay hahahahaha

Good luck!

I am 23 about to be 24 and i have already hit this point. Things I realized:

Very rarely does some one notice when I am wearing actual heat, so that rush is kind of gone
I get more compliments on my infra red am 90s then any other shoe
If there was every a Jordan bubble it is now, quality is going wayyyy down hill but for some reason people still want them, sell now before it's too late
I have way more responsibilities now,  I need new tires and brakes for my car....selling my carmines and grapes to get them tires and brakes  > shoes i wear once a year.

Some times you just grow up....time to step my loafer game up
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I am 23 about to be 24 and i have already hit this point. Things I realized:

Very rarely does some one notice when I am wearing actual heat, so that rush is kind of gone
I get more compliments on my infra red am 90s then any other shoe
If there was every a Jordan bubble it is now, quality is going wayyyy down hill but for some reason people still want them, sell now before it's too late
I have way more responsibilities now,  I need new tires and brakes for my car....selling my carmines and grapes to get them tires and brakes  > shoes i wear once a year.

Some times you just grow up....time to step my loafer game up
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I feel you my friend, I have been collecting since the 90s, and a couple years back at the peak my collection was 260+pairs. I went thru the same thing a few years ago when I turned 30 myself, I just felt like my priorities started to change and I started selling my collection back in 09, when I first started it was hard because I had some heat that I was letting go and I didn't want to part with certain pairs, but after realizing that I could go a year or two before getting around to the same pair in my rotation and years of ongoing quality issues with JB I just thought it would be wise of me to sell my whole collection(while the shoes were still in one piece) and take that money and actually invest it in something that will be beneficial for me in the long run. After I saw all the money that I had put into my "collection" I could not believe it and could not justify the 260+ pairs I had. I now have about 60 pairs left and counting down. I have officially retired and once I sell or donate the last 60 pairs I have left, I will never own more than 5 pairs of sneakers at a time. I was very naive about finances in my late teens and early 20s, and would spend most of my disposal income on shoes and other crap never thinking about the future, now that I am 30+ I have to think about the future and how I am going to prepare myself for retirement. Looking back on it now I wish I would have take the tens of thousands of dollars that I gave to Nike and Phil Knight and used it to start investing back in the 90s and I probably would be looking at retirement in a few years instead of still having to work later into my life. I now have a couple pairs that I wear on my casual days and thats it for me. I'll leave this "shoe game" to all you all out there, good luck and hopefully one day you will all see this just another addiction like smoking and drinking that wastes you time and money. The only good thing is some Nike's are sought after and if DS or well cared for you may have a hope of reselling it. That's the only thing that has kept me half way sane is that I have been able to recoup at least more than 60-70% of what I paid for most of my collection and reinvest into actually securities.

So If I can leave you with one last thought, stop throwing your money away and making the CEO's and Millionaire Athlete's even richer than the are, just buy ONE pair of shoes because you need them not because you want them, and if you need something to do with that money thats burning a whole in your pocket then put it in a saving acct or invest it, trust me you'll thank me later.
Man thats some real knowledge. I been trying to getaway from the Jordan game for years, and everytime I say this pair is the last one i fall back into the trap. I also work in a business setting were the only day possible to be causal is Friday and still cant wear Jordans. I think it is really time  for me  to give it up and start focusing more to future investments. Even though I am still young, hearing this from another sneaker lover got me seeing the bigger picture.Well now i guess i will sell off my collection except for my exculsives by the end of the year
frown.gif
. I hate to leave the game but every GREAT HAS TO RETIRE SOMEDAY!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Man thats some real knowledge. I been trying to getaway from the Jordan game for years, and everytime I say this pair is the last one i fall back into the trap. I also work in a business setting were the only day possible to be causal is Friday and still cant wear Jordans. I think it is really time  for me  to give it up and start focusing more to future investments. Even though I am still young, hearing this from another sneaker lover got me seeing the bigger picture.Well now i guess i will sell off my collection except for my exculsives by the end of the year
frown.gif
. I hate to leave the game but every GREAT HAS TO RETIRE SOMEDAY!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Where them all at least once if you ever plan to sell them. And if you do sell them at least keep a good 30 pairs or so. Just my opinion 

Where them all at least once if you ever plan to sell them. And if you do sell them at least keep a good 30 pairs or so. Just my opinion 

I'm currently 18 and doing what you stated you did back in your teen years but I want to do what you said and prepare for my future. I'm thankful I read what you've said and hopefully it will affect me financially in a positive way.

I'm currently 18 and doing what you stated you did back in your teen years but I want to do what you said and prepare for my future. I'm thankful I read what you've said and hopefully it will affect me financially in a positive way.

Downsize, that's all.

Nobody needs over 200 pairs of shoes. I personally don't, and never would want to.

I'm currently just trying to complete an "OG colorway 1-13" only collection. I've owned practically every Retro+ colorway, rocked them, and trashed them.

Downsize, that's all.

Nobody needs over 200 pairs of shoes. I personally don't, and never would want to.

I'm currently just trying to complete an "OG colorway 1-13" only collection. I've owned practically every Retro+ colorway, rocked them, and trashed them.

Back
Top Bottom