Troy or Gladiator?

Gladiator is one of my favorite films of all time but I watched Troy for the first time yesterday, directors cut, and I was blown away, great story line, scenic views and gruesome as hell. I LOVED IT. I'm kinda torn between the two on the better overall film, what about you NT? Is there a better film than these two (keeping with the roman/greek mythology like theme?)

Gladiator by a landslide imo.
Mostly because you feel so attached to Maximus as the story goes on
i didnt get that in Troy.

Originally Posted by Esco51

Loved Troy but it really isn't even close. Gladiator by a mile.
THIS

the "are you not entertained" scene was boss, he stuck those swords in dudes chest and walked around taunting the audience, then took the swords, cut off dudes head and threw a sword accurately at proximos booth barely missing him.

the scene where he meets with commodus and blatantly turns his back to him, and even reveals his real identity to him with guards surrounding them like DO SOMETHIN!

and when he beats the crap out of commodus after being stabbed was
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

took his hand and made him stick the knife through his own throat

russell was on that swag for sure on set

I like Troy, but it doesn't compare to Gladiator.

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. 
You can't beat that. 
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. 
You can't beat that. 

I've never been more floored by a movie quote than that.  Not a single damb was given that day.  However, as someone above said, Gladiator is a superior movie but Troy is much better suited for multiple watchings. I've seen Troy a good 100 times.  The scene on the ship where he makes his speech, then goes down and single handedly takes the beach of Troy is just pure skill domination.  He was Kobe with 81, Jordan with the shoulder shrug, Lebron with the Piston 25, and Wade with the free throws.

Haven't seen Gladiator but all I hear is about how damn awesome it is. Troy's a dope flick, though, and Achilles was one bad $#$@+*%%@+#% in that movie.

Troy is a guilty pleasure of mine. If you ask me around people even remotely interested in film, I would say, "Gladiator and it isn't even close," but given a choice on which to watch on a given day, it would be toss up.
I genuinely felt torn in terms of who I wanted to succeed. I could write pages about Hector and Achilles in the film. One part of me wanted Achilles to abandon his quest for greatness and ride off into the sunset with Briseis, but the other wanted Hector to make it home alive to his family. With exception to Helen and Paris, I felt that the supporting characters were great, Priam (O'Toole), Odysseus (Bean), Agamemnon (Cox), Briseis (Byrne), and even Patroclus (Hedlund).

In terms of Gladiator, I still remember going to the theater back in the day, and there was actually a theater rep who walked down the aisle saying, "Just as a warning, this is going to be graphic, like Braveheart." Theater was packed and it was one of those few experiences where you left the theater pleasantly exhausted.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

You can't beat that. 

Was Troy and Gladiator set during the same time? I remember in the movie Troy, Odysseus says something like, "Troy has the finest army in the east". I believe Gladiator was set around 300 BC? 

Back
Top Bottom