Unrest in Tunisia

My brother just told me about this. Apparently 2 presidents have been ousted in the past 48 hours over there. It started as protests and turned into an all out Coup. Its serious over there.
tired.gif

http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...n_re_af/af_tunisia_riots

What is happening over there is AMAZING. Revolution at its finest.

I just hope other Middle Eastern countries can follow suit somehow.

The dictator they ousted was in power for 23 years. Known for bribing, patronage, corruption, human rights abuses, etc.In the past month, the protests started when these two individuals burned themselves to death in protest due to unemployment. The government also raised food prices. Add this on all top of poverty, social unrest, lack of social welfare, corruption and human rights abuses by the government, and the people just had enough. Others went out in the streets and in the past month, the crowds just grew larger and larger. His army killed protesters and jailed many to try to crackdown on the civil unrest.

It will be interesting to see the ramifications of this in the region. I am sure now other Middle Eastern governments are worried about this happening to their regimes. Also, what is interesting is that this dictator was a French and U.S. ally. They saw him as a great model for other Middle Eastern countries because he was an extreme secularist, cracked down on Islamist groups, ally in the war on terror,etc (ie. he disallowed the wearing of hijabs in public). So this will be interesting to see if this will have in influence on the region and its significance in the regional geographical context.

What is happening over there is AMAZING. Revolution at its finest.

I just hope other Middle Eastern countries can follow suit somehow.

The dictator they ousted was in power for 23 years. Known for bribing, patronage, corruption, human rights abuses, etc.In the past month, the protests started when these two individuals burned themselves to death in protest due to unemployment. The government also raised food prices. Add this on all top of poverty, social unrest, lack of social welfare, corruption and human rights abuses by the government, and the people just had enough. Others went out in the streets and in the past month, the crowds just grew larger and larger. His army killed protesters and jailed many to try to crackdown on the civil unrest.

It will be interesting to see the ramifications of this in the region. I am sure now other Middle Eastern governments are worried about this happening to their regimes. Also, what is interesting is that this dictator was a French and U.S. ally. They saw him as a great model for other Middle Eastern countries because he was an extreme secularist, cracked down on Islamist groups, ally in the war on terror,etc (ie. he disallowed the wearing of hijabs in public). So this will be interesting to see if this will have in influence on the region and its significance in the regional geographical context.

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Hazeleyed Honey
I always enjoy reading your insight in middle eastern affairs

Thanks Mike.
smile.gif

I just feel such extreme elation seeing the people use their power like this in Tunisia. The Middle East is filled with autocratic and totalitarian regimes that are oppressive and repressive to the people. I just really hope now the rest of the people in the Middle East can look at the case of Tunisia and gain hope that this can happen to them too.

It is something that completely came out of nowhere and it was unpredictable. I just hope now that the Tunisian people can have a taste of democracy (hopefully the government will not be replacedby another oppressive regime or a puppet from its Western allies), and this was not by the hands of a foreign occupation or outsiders, but by doing it themselves. Such a beautiful thing. It gives me hope for the rest of the region. 

Hazeleyed Honey

Thanks Mike.
smile.gif

I just feel such extreme elation seeing the people use their power like this in Tunisia. The Middle East is filled with autocratic and totalitarian regimes that are oppressive and repressive to the people. I just really hope now the rest of the people in the Middle East can look at the case of Tunisia and gain hope that this can happen to them too.

It is something that completely came out of nowhere and it was unpredictable. I just hope now that the Tunisian people can have a taste of democracy (hopefully the government will not be replacedby another oppressive regime or a puppet from its Western allies), and this was not by the hands of a foreign occupation or outsiders, but by doing it themselves. Such a beautiful thing. It gives me hope for the rest of the region. 

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

It will be interesting to see the ramifications of this in the region. I am sure now other Middle Eastern governments are worried about this happening to their regimes.

They've gotta be shook. Protests have been ongoing in Khartoum, Cairo, Algiers, Amman, and in Libya, and protesters are making references to what's happened in Tunisia (People in Cairo chanting "Ben Ali, tell Mubarak a plane is waiting for him too") On the other hand, Gadaffi gave a rambling speech on tv last night condemning it all.

It will be interesting to see the ramifications of this in the region. I am sure now other Middle Eastern governments are worried about this happening to their regimes.

They've gotta be shook. Protests have been ongoing in Khartoum, Cairo, Algiers, Amman, and in Libya, and protesters are making references to what's happened in Tunisia (People in Cairo chanting "Ben Ali, tell Mubarak a plane is waiting for him too") On the other hand, Gadaffi gave a rambling speech on tv last night condemning it all.

Hazeleyed Honey

Thanks Mike.
smile.gif

indifferent.gif

Tunisia is a northern African country. As the U.S weakens so to does the influence it invokes on puppet governments it has installed worldwide. Khartoum, Cairo and the leaders within those nations are on edge and have reason to be unpopular oppressive governments.
tired.gif

Hazeleyed Honey

Thanks Mike.
smile.gif

indifferent.gif

Tunisia is a northern African country. As the U.S weakens so to does the influence it invokes on puppet governments it has installed worldwide. Khartoum, Cairo and the leaders within those nations are on edge and have reason to be unpopular oppressive governments.
tired.gif

Certainly a significant event, but I have my reservations as to whether the revolution will spur real changes elsewhere. Tunisia has some unique differences when compared to other Arab regimes that helped this coup to succeeded. Will it further embolden revolutionaries in other countries ? Definitely (see: http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/spotlight/algeria/), but it will also cause the tyrants to crack down harder. The political climate, especially in North Africa, is incredibly tense.

As far as Tunisia's future, the country lacks the strong Islamist movement found elsewhere, and you can be sure the EU and US will be watching very carefully to make sure it stays that way. Essentially this was the "green revolution" the West would have loved to see happen in Iran. (you can compare the Western propaganda media coverage disparity between the two events given that Tunisia was pro-West: http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/01/20111981222719974.html) Ghannouchi & co (assuming Ali doesn't return) are just a new figurehead on the same corruption and failed policies. I'm not optimistic about whoever is chosen to take the lead next being able to change this, let alone attempt it beyond public claims.

From the larger perspective, Tunisia just isn't that important a piece in the puzzle IMO. I'm much more interested in what's happening in Lebanon right now.

Al-Jazeera's coverage of these events has been superb.

Certainly a significant event, but I have my reservations as to whether the revolution will spur real changes elsewhere. Tunisia has some unique differences when compared to other Arab regimes that helped this coup to succeeded. Will it further embolden revolutionaries in other countries ? Definitely (see: http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/spotlight/algeria/), but it will also cause the tyrants to crack down harder. The political climate, especially in North Africa, is incredibly tense.

As far as Tunisia's future, the country lacks the strong Islamist movement found elsewhere, and you can be sure the EU and US will be watching very carefully to make sure it stays that way. Essentially this was the "green revolution" the West would have loved to see happen in Iran. (you can compare the Western propaganda media coverage disparity between the two events given that Tunisia was pro-West: http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/01/20111981222719974.html) Ghannouchi & co (assuming Ali doesn't return) are just a new figurehead on the same corruption and failed policies. I'm not optimistic about whoever is chosen to take the lead next being able to change this, let alone attempt it beyond public claims.

From the larger perspective, Tunisia just isn't that important a piece in the puzzle IMO. I'm much more interested in what's happening in Lebanon right now.

Al-Jazeera's coverage of these events has been superb.

This is too ominous. The unemployment and rising food prices were the spark for all this. Gas prices have soared causing riots in Chile last week and i think this is only the beginning b/c commodity  prices are on their way up all over the world. The 3rd world (not oil exporting) countries will be the first to react since their dependence on unprocessed foods is higher. The financial maelstrom in the developed world and the +$%* hitting the commodity fan in the underdeveloped nations are going to be very interesting to follow...

This is too ominous. The unemployment and rising food prices were the spark for all this. Gas prices have soared causing riots in Chile last week and i think this is only the beginning b/c commodity  prices are on their way up all over the world. The 3rd world (not oil exporting) countries will be the first to react since their dependence on unprocessed foods is higher. The financial maelstrom in the developed world and the +$%* hitting the commodity fan in the underdeveloped nations are going to be very interesting to follow...

Originally Posted by Screech

indifferent.gif

tired.gif
I knew someone would point this out. I know it is a North African country. But, you know it is considered a Middle Eastern country,right? Middle East is a continent, it is a geographical region. The Middle East is usually depicted as being all the way from Iraq to Morocco.

As for everyone else, good analysis! Definitely a country to follow-up on for its political developments.

Originally Posted by Screech

indifferent.gif

tired.gif
I knew someone would point this out. I know it is a North African country. But, you know it is considered a Middle Eastern country,right? Middle East is a continent, it is a geographical region. The Middle East is usually depicted as being all the way from Iraq to Morocco.

As for everyone else, good analysis! Definitely a country to follow-up on for its political developments.

Back
Top Bottom