Unsold Clothes Destroyed by H&M and Wal-Mart

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

the main problem aint the clothes...its logistics
tired.gif

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

You guys all realize that they announced yesterday that they stopped doing this right.
They are not going to stop doing this. This ha been happening for the past two decades, and so many stores do it.
roll.gif
They already realized they got exposed and came up wit some PR and announced they stopped doing it.

New York Region

Clothing Retailer Says It Will No Longer Destroy Unworn Garments

By JIM DWYER

Published: January 7, 2010

After the practice was discovered and brought to light by a CUNY graduate student, H & M said it would donate unsold clothes from its Herald Square store to charities.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/nyregion/07clothes.html
I already read this press release. Until I hear of actual attempts to donate clothing, like pictures of clothing actually being donated andvarious charities confirming the donation, I'm not going to believe it. I'm realistic about it; things will not change overnight if they change at allbecause soooo many H&M stores do this. Victoria's Secret does, too, and I used to shred/cut up clothing for them when I worked there. So of course theH&M pr reps are going to issue such a statement to take the heat off of their backs as it's only standard business practice. Just because the storesaid they were going to change doesn't mean they will. If anything, they'll know now to hide these particular business practices much better fromconsumers.
laugh.gif

I hope they are serious about donating though. The world needs to stop wasting so much.

that is a waste of clothing on both of there parts... the least they could have done was donate to salvation army... at least somebody would have made use ofit instead of just throwing it away

this is sad with all the homeless in NY on top of this grueling winter. don't understand how some of these people live with themselves.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by Sid Nasty

i dont understand why they dont just donate it. im sure there are many organizations that would be willing to pick this stuff up and ship it for free.

most companies do who own manufactor theyre own products. Alot of american companies so call own manufact thier products are a lie. They under the table higher 3rd party slave oops(might be infriging on certain companies(company on this beloved site). So they cant just simple GIVE AWAY the stuff. Here in the states if you add/etc to a product you can claim you produced manufactor it.

Like a company who produces lets say chairs contracts a 3rd party(they do all the building etc of the chairs) and all the us company does is employ some ppl here (for cheap i might add in warehouses... shotouts to temp agencies) to screw on the legs. In the states thats considered manufactoring ur own products. They still have a side deal etc with the 3rd party so they owe them. Thus cant just donate etc.

Trust and plez believe the companies who outright own and produce their on products do donate etc... word to tax credits/ and incentives.

It isnt as simple as giving the clothes away, or that these companies etc are being thoughtless or cruel. Seeing as i own a few stores. it isnt that simple.1st the reason you throw the clothes away/slash them so they cannot be used etc. When you cannot sell an item, You can do a few things. liquidate the items andrecoup your assest, by sending the products back to the vendor(not often you can) our to a second hand merchant ie...
Marshall Fields, TJ MAXX etc. Or you can get some of the money back from the merchants/vendors if the close are deemed damaged/defective etc. Thus the reasonyou slash them.

If you just told oh nike i couldnt sell these af1's so i gave them away. One they are gonna be reluctant to extand your buyers account. Two you lessen yourchances of a kick back and recouping some of the monies you spent. And you cant just claim them on taxes, because the products arent yours. persay. They get aportion etc of the shares the items earn. They will recover damages if eiher they become damaged, irregular etc. If you just call up ralph lauren and say ohthey didnt sell so i gave them away. You will not only not recoup, because the company cant recoup any money by taking the clothes back to distribute to rossetc. And the cant right off the clothes for damage either if you just gave them away. Thats why when they slash and throw them away, you must inform the vendorand have a running account of all items sold, lost damage stolen defective etc. What i do is hold drives for clothes etc do non profit.

This explains all the reasons and answers all the inquiries/concerns.

Originally Posted by LDJ

LDJ wrote:
Sid Nasty wrote:
i dont understand why they dont just donate it. im sure there are many organizations that would be willing to pick this stuff up and ship it for free.

most companies do who own manufactor theyre own products. Alot of american companies so call own manufact thier products are a lie. They under the table higher 3rd party slave oops(might be infriging on certain companies(company on this beloved site). So they cant just simple GIVE AWAY the stuff. Here in the states if you add/etc to a product you can claim you produced manufactor it.

Like a company who produces lets say chairs contracts a 3rd party(they do all the building etc of the chairs) and all the us company does is employ some ppl here (for cheap i might add in warehouses... shotouts to temp agencies) to screw on the legs. In the states thats considered manufactoring ur own products. They still have a side deal etc with the 3rd party so they owe them. Thus cant just donate etc.

Trust and plez believe the companies who outright own and produce their on products do donate etc... word to tax credits/ and incentives.

It isnt as simple as giving the clothes away, or that these companies etc are being thoughtless or cruel. Seeing as i own a few stores. it isnt that simple. 1st the reason you throw the clothes away/slash them so they cannot be used etc. When you cannot sell an item, You can do a few things. liquidate the items and recoup your assest, by sending the products back to the vendor(not often you can) our to a second hand merchant ie...
Marshall Fields, TJ MAXX etc. Or you can get some of the money back from the merchants/vendors if the close are deemed damaged/defective etc. Thus the reason you slash them.

If you just told oh nike i couldnt sell these af1's so i gave them away. One they are gonna be reluctant to extand your buyers account. Two you lessen your chances of a kick back and recouping some of the monies you spent. And you cant just claim them on taxes, because the products arent yours. persay. They get a portion etc of the shares the items earn. They will recover damages if eiher they become damaged, irregular etc. If you just call up ralph lauren and say oh they didnt sell so i gave them away. You will not only not recoup, because the company cant recoup any money by taking the clothes back to distribute to ross etc. And the cant right off the clothes for damage either if you just gave them away. Thats why when they slash and throw them away, you must inform the vendor and have a running account of all items sold, lost damage stolen defective etc. What i do is hold drives for clothes etc do non profit.

blah blah blah, once the story came out they stopped destroying it...

defend it however you want....

they're looking quite remorseful and guilty right now..

"oh, you guys think we're evil? we'll give poor people warmth now, sorry!"

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by LDJ

LDJ wrote:
Sid Nasty wrote:

It isnt as simple as giving the clothes away, or that these companies etc are being thoughtless or cruel. Seeing as i own a few stores. it isnt that simple. 1st the reason you throw the clothes away/slash them so they cannot be used etc. When you cannot sell an item, You can do a few things. liquidate the items and recoup your assest, by sending the products back to the vendor(not often you can) our to a second hand merchant ie...
Marshall Fields, TJ MAXX etc. Or you can get some of the money back from the merchants/vendors if the close are deemed damaged/defective etc. Thus the reason you slash them.

If you just told oh nike i couldnt sell these af1's so i gave them away. One they are gonna be reluctant to extand your buyers account. Two you lessen your chances of a kick back and recouping some of the monies you spent. And you cant just claim them on taxes, because the products arent yours. persay. They get a portion etc of the shares the items earn. They will recover damages if eiher they become damaged, irregular etc. If you just call up ralph lauren and say oh they didnt sell so i gave them away. You will not only not recoup, because the company cant recoup any money by taking the clothes back to distribute to ross etc. And the cant right off the clothes for damage either if you just gave them away. Thats why when they slash and throw them away, you must inform the vendor and have a running account of all items sold, lost damage stolen defective etc. What i do is hold drives for clothes etc do non profit.

blah blah blah, once the story came out they stopped destroying it...

defend it however you want....

they're looking quite remorseful and guilty right now..

"oh, you guys think we're evil? we'll give poor people warmth now, sorry!"

Lol um ok suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure lol. Hey i got some sand in alaska to sell you also. Paypal me 50 bucks and i can ship you snow from the coast of south africa...lol. Next thing youll be telling me oh nike got busted for exploiting 3rd world countries and using modern day slavery in the form of sweatshops. So they saidthey stopped and they actually did it lol. Shotouts to overly mass produced products with $h*tty quality, that sheep will still stand out like the postman topay 5 times the cost for lol.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by LDJ

No, they don't. You can't compare H&M to vendors of Nike and RL because H&M is completely vertically integrated. They design,manufacture, distribute, and sell their own product through company owned retail stores. They absolutely have complete control over what happens to theirmerchandise.

For people crying about brand image and exclusivity of their product line comparing them to brands like Gucci and other high end brands, get real. You swearH&M doesn't sell 10 dollar tees and 15 dollar dress shirts for people looking for a bit of style at an affordable price. People who shop at H&Mknow what they're getting into and it's not exclusive, brand name merchandise. It's absolutely within their brand image and business model todonate clothing to charitable foundations and raise their goodwill.

Furthermore, what a grand opportunity this is for good will and a tremendous amount of positive PR. Why not capitalize on a act of kindness and get people toassociate your brand with good business practices and positive energy, a la NBA cares, NikeTalk, and Ben and Jerry's. Instead they would rather slash anddestroy their clothing while people are homeless without a jacket on their backs. It just doesn't make sense to me. Being a Swedish based company, this isquite surprising to say the least.

All business and logistics aside, you're throwing perfectly fine articles of clothing away. I'll bet it takes the same amount of effort to"debadge" their clothing and remove pricing and logo tags as it does to cut sports jackets in half and slash holes through sweaters.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Lol um ok suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure lol. Hey i got some sand in alaska to sell you also. Paypal me 50 bucks and i can ship you snow from the coast of south africa... lol. Next thing youll be telling me oh nike got busted for exploiting 3rd world countries and using modern day slavery in the form of sweatshops. So they said they stopped and they actually did it lol. Shotouts to overly mass produced products with $h*tty quality, that sheep will still stand out like the postman to pay 5 times the cost for lol.

What the hell are you talking about?!?

he doesn't know.

like i said, after an article posted by an NYU Grad student, H & M is changing their policy.

so defend it all you want.

sheep this, sheep that, business practices, such and such

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by LDJ

No, they don't. You can't compare H&M to vendors of Nike and RL because H&M is completely vertically integrated. They design, manufacture, distribute, and sell their own product through company owned retail stores. They absolutely have complete control over what happens to their merchandise.

For people crying about brand image and exclusivity of their product line comparing them to brands like Gucci and other high end brands, get real. You swear H&M doesn't sell 10 dollar tees and 15 dollar dress shirts for people looking for a bit of style at an affordable price. People who shop at H&M know what they're getting into and it's not exclusive, brand name merchandise. It's absolutely within their brand image and business model to donate clothing to charitable foundations and raise their goodwill.

Furthermore, what a grand opportunity this is for good will and a tremendous amount of positive PR. Why not capitalize on a act of kindness and get people to associate your brand with good business practices and positive energy, a la NBA cares, NikeTalk, and Ben and Jerry's. Instead they would rather slash and destroy their clothing while people are homeless without a jacket on their backs. It just doesn't make sense to me. Being a Swedish based company, this is quite surprising to say the least.

All business and logistics aside, you're throwing perfectly fine articles of clothing away. I'll bet it takes the same amount of effort to "debadge" their clothing and remove pricing and logo tags as it does to cut sports jackets in half and slash holes through sweaters.

lol say what thats exactly what i said i said walmart target etc are different. i also said iuno why h&m dont do this as companies like nike etc do donateto charity, recycle. Alll i was saying dude said a company that was so malice so disconcerned just magically change they mind and thoughts and beliefs cause ofpress is foolish. They said what they needed to say, do all the pr they had to do, in order to get them monkies off they back. Once all calms down business asusually.

Reminds me about 8 or 9 yrs ago when abercombie and fitch was making racist shirts towards koreans asians etc. They said sorry etc. kept on making them. itwasnt until it gained national exposer they decided to change. To be honest i dont even know if they even did change. I dont shop buy there clothes.

The funny and sad ordeal about it all is the fact that asians koreans where still lining up to shop purchase thier products.

Just like this thread just cause someone says something dont mean they will follow on it. They knew it was inhuman cruel before hand, so you think a articleetc will change their beliefs etc. Honestly i think they will just go about a better way to do what they been doing so they dont get caught up. Instead ofcomplaning whinning and 8*itchen how bout not support them and discontinue buying thier products. Iuno just a thought.

i worked in retail for years. ive never heard of destroying product. why not just mark it down?

pianoman52 wrote:
ISRAEL5EKLA wrote:
common bussiness practice and sadly it will continue.

word. just think about food buffets. they can't be serving uneaten food. thats not how business or the economy allows unused product to be.

Exactly an unethical practices is one of them. you think myself just a small business owner knows what they are doing is wrong yet, a corporation like h&mdidnt. All im saying more then likely unless it becomes a major headline some serious infractions going on, i serious doubt they will stop. I believe they willjust go about doing what they did in a more clever way.

My example of nike is that, they were scrutinized and ostercized about their unethical and illegal pratices. It was on a much larger scale then h&m, andthey have alot more noteriety than h&m. Did they stop their ways.... Hell No. All they did was do a much better job of covering they *%$e%.

Thus the workers with inadequate working conditions, and well below poverty pay, decided to take materials and produce products on they own(akafakes etc) Then they (nike) make some big deal and try to get ppl not to support the products lol. On some i be gotdam they cut intoour well over 100% profits lol. How dare they sell my goods and make up for how low and cheapply we pay them. These ungrateful sobs. I pay you a astounding10-15 cent and hour when i could be paying you 5-10 bucks and hour, and this is the thanks i get.

But thats another topic in its entirety. All im saying is take this oh we didnt know it was wrong, we had know idea this was happening, we will make changesimmediately, then do right for a lil while until the heat is off they ***, then its back to business as usual, is more then likely going to happen. Lol at thenotion that nike being blasted out by cnn, etc majors, didnt and wont stop the wrongs they do. But a company just gonna change a facet in there businesspractices because some kid wrote a paper in a local newspaper. lol get real

Back
Top Bottom