USC or Berkeley?

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Originally Posted by 8KBMJ23

I'm interested in either aerospace or civil engineering......what can you tell me about viterbi?

I can tell you that education wise you probably will want to put Cal ahead of SC in those area's. As someone who has engineering friends at Cal I can say that they have much more resources in terms of equipment and leading professors in aerospace. Civil engineering I'm not too sure about. I'm not dogging SC, because I feel I'm getting a fantastic education and have a great network of talent and opportunities. Someone said earlier in the thread if you plan to leave the west coast Berkley has more name pull. I can agree with that but if you plan to stay in Cali the USC network is phenomenal. Other than that Cal has a totally different vibe to it. I grew up in So-Cal and toured the campus when I was applying for undergrads. The whole vibe, the type of people, the area, it just wasn't my thing. I can definetly say take the education aspects into account but make sure it's the right "fit" wherever you go.
The thing is that I have always seen SC as the right fit for me, but I've never visited berkeley. I do not want to make a decision too soon.

USC, no question about it. If I had stayed in Cali thats where I would have gone.

Judging by quality of education and how far the name of the school will take you job-wise and grad-school-wise, it's Berkeley easily, especially forengineering. Berkeley is #3, USC is #8. And as for the law and business remarks about USC being better, that's very incorrect. If you're talking lawschools, Berkeley is #6 while USC is the next tier down at #18. And for Business, Berkeley is #7 while USC is #21. Even if you're just talking undergrad,there's no such thing as a pre-law route--I got into Columbia, NYU, and Berkeley Law with a Statistics degree and am pending at Harvard, Yale, and Stanfordso I'm familiar with the pre-law experience--so there's no comparison to be made, and for business, Haas (Berkeley) is way above USC as well. Berkeleyis the #1 public school in the country. For future money and grad school hopes, it's a no-brainer.

For extra-curricular activities...Both have great football teams. USC is obviously better, but the Cal vs Stanford games are always fun no matter how the teamsare doing. Plus at Berkeley you're about 20-30 minutes away from SF on the BART. Since you're on NT I'm assuming you're a shoe head sothat'll be a major plus. As for the social scene, I'm willing to bet that ANYWHERE is better than Berkeley. I mean there are 30,000+students---you'll make friends and have a good time every now and then unless there's something wrong with you. But the stereotypes aretrue...especially about the girls. Also LA is LA. SF or Berkeley are just not LA.

So if education, grad school, and work are important to you, you shouldn't even have to think about it--Berkeley is for you. But if having fun, meetinggirls, watching your sports teams win, and everything else LA has that Berkeley and SF just can't compete with are important to you, go to USC. If you planto go to grad school, the name of that school will ultimately be more important with regards to jobs, etc. so in that perspective, your undergrad school namedoesn't matter that much. But if you plan to just work right after undergrad, I really recommend maximizing your future income and the ease of getting yourfirst job by going to the school whose name has the most clout, which is easily Berkeley. And besides, it has the reputation for a reason. You learn a lot.

If you want to go into Engineering, Berkley.

They are top 3 in the nation. Both have great school names and Alumni networks, so with either school you'll go far in life with the right worth ethic.

Originally Posted by Beats05

Judging by quality of education and how far the name of the school will take you job-wise and grad-school-wise, it's Berkeley easily, especially for engineering. Berkeley is #3, USC is #8. And as for the law and business remarks about USC being better, that's very incorrect. If you're talking law schools, Berkeley is #6 while USC is the next tier down at #18. And for Business, Berkeley is #7 while USC is #21. Even if you're just talking undergrad, there's no such thing as a pre-law route--I got into Columbia, NYU, and Berkeley Law with a Statistics degree and am pending at Harvard, Yale, and Stanford so I'm familiar with the pre-law experience--so there's no comparison to be made, and for business, Haas (Berkeley) is way above USC as well. Berkeley is the #1 public school in the country. For future money and grad school hopes, it's a no-brainer.

For extra-curricular activities...Both have great football teams. USC is obviously better, but the Cal vs Stanford games are always fun no matter how the teams are doing. Plus at Berkeley you're about 20-30 minutes away from SF on the BART. Since you're on NT I'm assuming you're a shoe head so that'll be a major plus. As for the social scene, I'm willing to bet that ANYWHERE is better than Berkeley. I mean there are 30,000+ students---you'll make friends and have a good time every now and then unless there's something wrong with you. But the stereotypes are true...especially about the girls. Also LA is LA. SF or Berkeley are just not LA.

So if education, grad school, and work are important to you, you shouldn't even have to think about it--Berkeley is for you. But if having fun, meeting girls, watching your sports teams win, and everything else LA has that Berkeley and SF just can't compete with are important to you, go to USC. If you plan to go to grad school, the name of that school will ultimately be more important with regards to jobs, etc. so in that perspective, your undergrad school name doesn't matter that much. But if you plan to just work right after undergrad, I really recommend maximizing your future income and the ease of getting your first job by going to the school whose name has the most clout, which is easily Berkeley. And besides, it has the reputation for a reason. You learn a lot.
Beats, im thinking about heading to law school, can you just offer any sort of advice for someone about to enter college who is very sure he wantsto be a lawyer?

and on a second note, any econ or poli sci majors in the house?
nerd.gif
i'mthinking of majoring in one of these, and any input would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

If you want to go into Engineering, Berkley.

They are top 3 in the nation. Both have great school names and Alumni networks, so with either school you'll go far in life with the right worth ethic.

Originally Posted by Beats05

Judging by quality of education and how far the name of the school will take you job-wise and grad-school-wise, it's Berkeley easily, especially for engineering. Berkeley is #3, USC is #8. And as for the law and business remarks about USC being better, that's very incorrect. If you're talking law schools, Berkeley is #6 while USC is the next tier down at #18. And for Business, Berkeley is #7 while USC is #21. Even if you're just talking undergrad, there's no such thing as a pre-law route--I got into Columbia, NYU, and Berkeley Law with a Statistics degree and am pending at Harvard, Yale, and Stanford so I'm familiar with the pre-law experience--so there's no comparison to be made, and for business, Haas (Berkeley) is way above USC as well. Berkeley is the #1 public school in the country. For future money and grad school hopes, it's a no-brainer.

For extra-curricular activities...Both have great football teams. USC is obviously better, but the Cal vs Stanford games are always fun no matter how the teams are doing. Plus at Berkeley you're about 20-30 minutes away from SF on the BART. Since you're on NT I'm assuming you're a shoe head so that'll be a major plus. As for the social scene, I'm willing to bet that ANYWHERE is better than Berkeley. I mean there are 30,000+ students---you'll make friends and have a good time every now and then unless there's something wrong with you. But the stereotypes are true...especially about the girls. Also LA is LA. SF or Berkeley are just not LA.

So if education, grad school, and work are important to you, you shouldn't even have to think about it--Berkeley is for you. But if having fun, meeting girls, watching your sports teams win, and everything else LA has that Berkeley and SF just can't compete with are important to you, go to USC. If you plan to go to grad school, the name of that school will ultimately be more important with regards to jobs, etc. so in that perspective, your undergrad school name doesn't matter that much. But if you plan to just work right after undergrad, I really recommend maximizing your future income and the ease of getting your first job by going to the school whose name has the most clout, which is easily Berkeley. And besides, it has the reputation for a reason. You learn a lot.

indifferent.gif
you sound ******ed.

Originally Posted by curt2121

sick.gif
to both really. This pains me to say it, but go to kal. If you plan on having any type of career/life outside of southern california in the future, you'll be taken more seriously when you get started. You'll get a better education there when it's all said and done.

SSSSSSSSS... hater. Go to Cal, the connections here are ridiculous and will definitely set you up for the rest of your life if you make the right moves. Idon't know if you are a minority or not but Berkeley graduates who fall into that category have the highest admittance rates to grad and professionalschools. The atmosphere is great on campus, a lo of student activity and involvement and the city itself is very chill.

Beats05 broke it down pretty well, but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. Granted this was 10 years ago, but for me... USC offeredme a partial scholarship and I still woulda went to Cal at full price over that had I gotten in.

Berkeley is one of those schools that you just have to visit and experience on your own. Its not like any other college town that I've ever been to. Its adifferent beast all its own. From the people I know who went there, you either love it or hate it. There is no "ehhh its just ok". It either fits youor it doesn't. Personally, I think the atmosphere there is fun cause its so different than a typical college town (or any town).

Truthfully, grad schools want well qualified minorities for "diversity." For instance, I'm graduating with a 3.5 GPA - if I score a 167 on theLSAT (test for law school) I will be in the top 5% for minority applicants pretty much granting me access to a top law school of my choosing. The grind atBerkeley is difficult, no lie. The work load is demanding so if you can get A's grad schools will drool for you and literally compete with one another toget you to their school. So in short, there are not many minority students @ Berkeley, this is somewhat an advantage because it kind of gives you more accessto faculty and professor's/ professionals who can help and support you.

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

Truthfully, grad schools want well qualified minorities for "diversity." For instance, I'm graduating with a 3.5 GPA - if I score a 167 on the LSAT (test for law school) I will be in the top 5% for minority applicants pretty much granting me access to a top law school of my choosing. The grind at Berkeley is difficult, no lie. The work load is demanding so if you can get A's grad schools will drool for you and literally compete with one another to get you to their school. So in short, there are not many minority students @ Berkeley, this is somewhat an advantage because it kind of gives you more access to faculty and professor's/ professionals who can help and support you.
hmmm interesting.....that does seem enticing. Do you have an aim sn? Just in case I have more questions.

Originally Posted by lazybonejone

USC is a clown college. I write papers for grad students and undergraduate students at Marshall. Their standards are beyond low. I can guarantee a B without reading the book or attending a single class.

The only reason to go to SC is that you can sleep through 50% of your classes and still get a 4.0 when you apply for grad school.
Harsh

USC is a clown college. I write papers for grad students and undergraduate students at Marshall. Their standards are beyond low. I can guarantee a B withoutreading the book or attending a single class.

The only reason to go to SC is that you can sleep through 50% of your classes and still get a 4.0 when you apply for grad school.

Lets see you got into both so that means you are smart and rich. I would go with USC cuz all you need to worry about is getting laid.

I'd say SC

depends on whether you want to go public or private. A degree from either school looks great. I've heard Berkeley is more challenging academically, butthat is hard to measure because who knows what classes you'll take

Originally Posted by lazybonejone

USC is a clown college. I write papers for grad students and undergraduate students at Marshall. Their standards are beyond low. I can guarantee a B without reading the book or attending a single class.

Viterbi>Marshall

I would go with USC just because tuition cost way more (even though you got the full ride)

Plus, there's more rich people to network with

I feel Cal is more for the geniuses who never get rich and USC is for the "it's who you know"

That's if your goal is to get rich

I will be attending Berkeley in the fall. I am kind of glad to not be in your position. I was rejected by USC and UCLA which would have made my decision a verydifficult one. I would say go to Berkeley for Engineering.

Berkeley is tied for 2nd in Engineering with Stanford and is only behind MIT

http://www.coe.berkeley.edu/about/rankings.html

http://www.usnews.com/articles/educ...eges-top-engineering-and-it-universities.html

http://polycentric.csupomona.edu/campus_news/usnews_engineering14th.pdf

And even if you don't pick Engineering. Berkeley is top 5 for Engineering, Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities, Life Sciences and Biomedicine, and NaturalSciences.

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Berkeley is a college town. Isnt USC located in the ghetto? But USC will have hotter females
I've visited my friends at UC Berkeley and it is pretty damn ghetto too...hobos sleeping in the parks
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom