Virtual Stock Trading Game - Niketalk competition

pimp.gif

In all honesty, MarketWatch sucks. But for the basic necessity of the game, it is what it is.

I'd like to find a better format with options trading. But from now till year end, MarketWatch will do. I'll let this game run the course and we can see who is still interested and participating. I'd imainge lots of people will give up anyway in typical NT fashion.

there was a lot of fail today, as i jumped from #36 to #19 and all i did was lay in the bed all day and read game of thrones (with occasional obligatory fapping).  you guys really stunk up the joint. 
that is all.  

It being a holiday weekend I'm sure plays a role.

When I was in college this was obviously one of the biggest partying weekends around.

Now in corporate life, no one was around and I bounced by 2pm.

YO!  I didnt even know this thread existed! 

Can I still participate? 

Lets see if I learned anything from good 'ol Benjamin Graham ...

Up into the top 10 
pimp.gif
Gold turning around, silver still rising, I just hope these tech companies dont start falling.

man seriously f gold

i am actually holding gold for real and everytime it touches that 1900, it crashes down to hell.

FU

question:

can anyone enlighten me on VIX and TVIX? What exactly are these? Are these ETF's that are tied to volatility? I notice that whenever the market nose dives, these stocks inversely skyrocket. What gives?

The VIX itself is a volaltility measure that basically has been dubbed by the mass media as "the fear index". All it really does is show how volatile the market is based on the S&P 500's basket of stocks. When you have huge swings, up and down market, it'll fluctuates more. When we're constant, it doesn't move as much. Off hand, I can't recall the numerical reading that defines a "steady" market.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

The VIX itself is a volaltility measure that basically has been dubbed by the mass media as "the fear index". All it really does is show how volatile the market is based on the S&P 500's basket of stocks. When you have huge swings, up and down market, it'll fluctuates more. When we're constant, it doesn't move as much. Off hand, I can't recall the numerical reading that defines a "steady" market.
stupid follow up question

so would the VIX (and in turn the TVIX) go up with both a huge downswing and a huge upswing, or just on the downswing?  Would a fast and huge spike also be indicative of volatility in the market?

I'm not familiar with TVIX. I'm assuming it's a leveraged ETF that trys to track one way or another the VIX?

The VIX is negatively correlated with the market. Meaning, today the DOW and the other major indexes are all up and therefore the VIX is "calming" decreasing. I believe the periods of up and down at signfiicant amounts play a role into the amount the VIX increases or decreases by (depending on what the market does, dictates the direction).

Yes, large fast spikes followed by large fast decreases would increase volatility. One by itself wouldn't necessarily.

*It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll*

Some of you guys are really stinking up the joint.

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

*It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll*

Some of you guys are really stinking up the joint.

I was...
From the performance page:

Return
6.28%
4.06%
2.32%
-2.50%
-7.91%
-10.38%

Long way to go so don't go counting chickens!

From 86th to 11th today, but 11th isn't saying much, profitwise.
I would have made a killing if I did better research.
I bet against some northeastern realty trusts/groups after hurricane Irene, but I didn't bother to look up the 1 company that owned the mall that is still closed due to flooding. (GGP)
and yes, I'm just talking.

Back
Top Bottom