Was being against going to college the new thing to do in 2011?

I've seen a few threads in this section about college and a lot of posters talking about it's a scam, hustle, waste of time if you're not going for something serious, waste if you don't network, etc

is not going to college the new thing to do in 2011?

for those that have dropped out of college, are you still out there struggling with getting a "good" job (one where you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck)?

for those that have graduated, or are about to graduate, if you could start all over would you do it again? what would you do differently?

For those that have taken up a trade and also have been to college, which would you prefer?

I'm not going cause of the price, not cause it's the new thing to do

not all of us have scholarships b

Originally Posted by megatron

indifferent.gif

Local Community colleges are  practically free.

Got a couple of friends who bought cars with refund checks

Grants are given to almost anybody.

I think a lot of people got jobs making a decent amount and are hesitant to add new debt in a rebuilding job market.

I plan to go, but I need to find a sure bet field to get me to a point where I can live easy for a while, save money, and compile degrees/certificates over time.

Working for the Government doesn't sound too bad. I've heard people complain and complain, BUT from what I've seen. They need to stop the whining for what some of them are paid to do.

I'm working on networking now.

Community colleges have been slept on for a while now. Cincinnati State (CC) can put you in some favorable positions if you do what you need to do.

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

indifferent.gif

I don't wanna go to a CC though.
I don't know what kind of cars they bought with their refund checks, but I would get no financial aid if I go to a CC. My income isn't low enough.

My grants at a university wouldn't even cover books so fall back.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

I think a lot of people got jobs making a decent amount and are hesitant to add new debt in a rebuilding job market.

I plan to go, but I need to find a sure bet field to get me to a point where I can live easy for a while, save money, and compile degrees/certificates over time.

Working for the Government doesn't sound too bad. I've heard people complain and complain, BUT from what I've seen. They need to stop the whining for what some of them are paid to do.
My same plan.

indifferent.gif

I don't know what kind of cars they bought with their refund checks, but I would get no financial aid if I go to a CC. My income isn't low enough.

Life isnt about what you want, its about what you need, and you need a degree. 
Since you're income is so high you cant get grants, then that means u can afford school.

And there is such thing as loans, when u get in your career you can pay them back.

Maybe you could get a job and go to school.

Do what you want

indifferent.gif

Since you're income is so high you cant get grants, then that means u can afford school.

And there is such thing as loans, when u get in your career you can pay them back.

Do what you want

I really can not tell if he is trolling or being serious. He's like the boy who cried wolf.

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

I've seen a few threads in this section about college and a lot of posters talking about it's a scam, hustle, waste of time if you're not going for something serious, waste if you don't network, etc
Anything will seem like a scam if you don't take full advantage of it. Let's be honest, if you are going to a 4 year university and choose to major in something like Women's Studies or Communications & Journalism, then you are probably going to look back on your college experience bitterly when you have a hard time finding/retaining a job, paying back your debt, and living a happy and comfortable lifestyle. That's not to take anything away from those fields, as they are legitimate and have a place in academia, but a lot of people have a misconception about going to school and attaining a degree. They think that if you acquire a degree, employers should be waiting in line to hand you a job. If you don't have knowledge in a worthwhile field, or choose a field where there will be hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people who will look exactly like you on paper, then you lost from square one. It's not just about having the piece of paper that says you know something; it's about having the portfolio and work experience that says it for you.

If you aren't going to study something serious, then college shouldn't be on your agenda in the first place. If you don't plan on using your school as a means of networking, then don't go to a reputable institution (there are plenty of vocational schools that will teach you what you need to know to get into the field.) Any school you choose should fit your needs, and before you choose which school(s) to apply to (if any) you should first identify what it is you want, how it is you plan to get it, and what tools and strategies you'll need to utilize in order to achieve your plan. Think of college like the stock market. Your returns and losses will change depending on what markets you choose to invest in. The same is true of your education, and which institution(s) you entrust to teach you what you'll need in the field of your choosing, connect you to the networks that you'll need to be apart of to hear about openings, and surround you with the type of environment that will enable and promote your success.

That being said, if I could do it all over again I would have worked full time coming out of HS, acquired my real estate license, and bet against the housing market. I would have been a millionaire.
laugh.gif

I am a trade worker and I make a pretty good living.. I just feel like college isn't for everyone which is the exact message they put in your head. I also think the major U's are just so insanely over priced it wasn't even a real consideration for me. I mean certain jobs need more training than other but the business degree from the CC is one price and the same degree from a big name school is triple that..just don't feel like it somthin I want to be apart of. If I had it to do over again I'd do it the same way..possibly a differant trade but I still wouldn't go to school it just isn't for me.

indifferent.gif

that just makes you sound like a spoiled brat...
indifferent.gif

you could easily work and pay for CC yourself if you live at home...

you're not the first and not cetainly not the last to not be able to go to a 4 year school of their choice

I'm taking the whole year off from college.. I work security, it's not a career but it's not bad for the time being.. Too much money and right now, with certain things going on in my life.. I can't focus on school.. Next fall i plan to go back though. \_("/)_/

If I can go back in time, and do it over again. I probably would've just dropped out of high school and just get a GED. Then try out a few business endeavors. But my family would not have allowed that. 

indifferent.gif

Do what you want

None of this sounds attractive or enlightening.

A lot of hate comes from those who went to college and wanted to live the "college experience" and now owe 50k+ in loans while working at Target
I won't lie, when I was in school I was kind of salty of those "living the college experience" with parents/loans paying for everything. But I graduated owing less than $2,000, which I'm glad for now.
pimp.gif

College can be affordable to a certain extent, but some people think they got Jay-Z money and go to schools thats gonna run them over 100k in debt by the time theyre done, just to have a liberal studies degree or some dumb @%! degree 
laugh.gif

When people seeing you trying to get an education and they ain't doing @*@# they attempt to bring you down to their level.

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Yeah

Anything will seem like a scam if you don't take full advantage of it. Let's be honest, if you are going to a 4 year university and choose to major in something like Women's Studies or Communications & Journalism, then you are probably going to look back on your college experience bitterly when you have a hard time finding/retaining a job, paying back your debt, and living a happy and comfortable lifestyle. That's not to take anything away from those fields, as they are legitimate and have a place in academia, but a lot of people have a misconception about going to school and attaining a degree. They think that if you acquire a degree, employers should be waiting in line to hand you a job. If you don't have knowledge in a worthwhile field, or choose a field where there will be hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people who will look exactly like you on paper, then you lost from square one. It's not just about having the piece of paper that says you know something; it's about having the portfolio and work experience that says it for you.

If you aren't going to study something serious, then college shouldn't be on your agenda in the first place. If you don't plan on using your school as a means of networking, then don't go to a reputable institution (there are plenty of vocational schools that will teach you what you need to know to get into the field.) Any school you choose should fit your needs, and before you choose which school(s) to apply to (if any) you should first identify what it is you want, how it is you plan to get it, and what tools and strategies you'll need to utilize in order to achieve your plan. Think of college like the stock market. Your returns and losses will change depending on what markets you choose to invest in. The same is true of your education, and which institution(s) you entrust to teach you what you'll need in the field of your choosing, connect you to the networks that you'll need to be apart of to hear about openings, and surround you with the type of environment that will enable and promote your success.

That being said, if I could do it all over again I would have worked full time coming out of HS, acquired my real estate license, and bet against the housing market. I would have been a millionaire.
laugh.gif
i agree

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

When people seeing you trying to get an education and they ain't doing @*@# they attempt to bring you down to their level.

Agreed

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

Agreed

So true.
And if you want to go to school there are plenty of ways, really no excuse.

People talking down on college are either:
A. Jelly
B. Ignorant
C. Lazy

College is what you make it. When you see the people graduate with +%#!%+*% degrees and nothing to show for it, it's not because the institution they went to was crap, it's because they didn't make use of the opportunities and resources made available to them. If you go to college with a drive to succeed and do the right things, best believe you will come out with things to show for it. If you just go to class and expect someone to hand you a job after you graduate just because you have a degree, you did it wrong.

I find that its the same 2 people who talk bad about college

1. Those who did not attend college and are internally pissed they didn't

or

2. Those whose degrees did not benefit them career-wise

Both of these people are bitter and feel the need to bad mouth an institution they did not take advantage of. The people I know that were successful w/o going to college would never tell you not to go.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

I find that its the same 2 people who talk bad about college

1. Those who did not attend college and are internally pissed they didn't

or

2. Those whose degrees did not benefit them career-wise

Both of these people are bitter and feel the need to bad mouth an institution they did not take advantage of. The people I know that were successful w/o going to college would never tell you not to go.
I still think that college (going to a major University with lots of recruitment visibility) is one of the best options if you are trying to land a career. These companies will actually give you a look and a chance while in college, whereas it's harder to get that chance if you didn't capitalize or completely bypassed college. With that said, it is what you make it and it's not the material that you learn, it's the work ethic and network you create that makes a difference. Of course, not everyone that goes to college are successful and vice versa. 

Back
Top Bottom