Washington Wizards 2014-2015 Season Thread - Thanks for a great season!

Will the Wizards win the Southeast Division this season?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Pat Buchanan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y5Pgmdy.gif

Yea, it sucks we're losing him....

Although, I can't fault Pierce for wanting to wrap up his career at home (plus an extra 3mil in salary than what the Wizards were offering).
I don't think that's accurate.  Reports had the Wizards offer at $6.6 million for NEXT season with a player option for a second year.  

The Clippers' offer was HALF that per season, and there's no way Pierce is playing the third year.  Not only did he leave for less money than the Wizards offered - but he left for less money than he would've been owed had he exercised his player option. 

You can say he wanted to finish his career at home, but that's still a pretty good knock on the Wizards' organization.  

I'm not quite sure where the team goes from here, either.  They need to keep as much space open as possible in the vain hope of attracting KD next summer, so they can't afford to go all out.  (Remember, they have to extend Beal next summer, too.)  This really forces Otto into a starting role, and likely requires Oubre - who most consider a long term project (every Wizards fan's favorite phrase) to contribute something right away.  

You look at who's left on the board in free agency and most of the possibilities just make you cringe.  If Aminu's getting $30 million over 4 years and Shumpert is commanding $40 million... I shudder to think about how likely we are to drastically overpay for a role player we won't even want in twelve months.  

Speaking of which.... 

I hate to say "I told you so" about Kris Humphries, but he was clearly not part of the team's playoff run and he's stuck on the books for 2 more years.  That's salary we could've used this summer and next.

Even with Atlanta swinging the door wide open in the Southeast, I wouldn't be surprised to see Miami leapfrog us next season, health permitting.  This was a big loss we're unlikely to fill, and with everything riding on 2016 it'll be difficult to bring in any quality replacements within our budget while retaining flexibility.  

That's why Pierce was so perfect.  He could've helped us PROVE to the likes of Kevin Durant that we're winners without committing major salary into 2016-2017.  Frankly, we should've been willing to go into the luxury zone and give Pierce the type of one year offer that he couldn't refuse.  A guy like David West will want more years and more money than we can responsibly offer.  You'd have a hard enough time replacing Pierce's production on the court for $8 million next season if you consider today's reported agreements, and there IS no replacement on the market for what Pierce brought to our locker room.  

Any substantial free agent signings this summer could easily prove disastrous.  The open market is not our friend right now.  I would MUCH rather try to make something happen with our trade exceptions than watch Ernie hurl money at the likes of Mirza Teletovic. 

Meth, it was a team option...

He regularly repeated that the organization’s future was bright with the young core of John Wall, Bradley Beal, and Otto Porter Jr. And the Wizards were willing to pay Pierce $6.6 million next season — more money than any other team could have (unless they were willing to use cap space, which was unlikely) — along with a team option for a second year.

Link

There isn't a chance the team would pick up his option after this season. I think we all know that. It was a fair offer, IMO, but finishing a career at home and earning an additional 3 mil in the process is an easy decision.

Pierce will go down as one of my favorite Wizards of all-time. I love what he brought to the table. His absence will leave big shoes to fill. Here's to hoping that Otto can step up and continue his strong play from what we saw in the playoffs.

It really is crazy everything Paul did for us in one year. You can't give him credit for everything off the court but he seemed to be pretty essential to Otto finally looking like a baller out there.

There isn't a chance the team would pick up his option after this season. I think we all know that. It was a fair offer, IMO, but finishing a career at home and earning an additional 3 mil in the process is an easy decision.
He won't get the "extra 3 million" unless he plays the third year.  He won't.  (And I don't think anyone sees him Steve Nashing it out there to collect $3 million.)

The team option offers provisional cap space, to use if needed.  In other words, Wizards would exercise its option to retain Pierce in the likely event that KD re-ups with OKC and a massive salary dump is unnecessary. 

I agree that a better deal could - and should - have been presented to Pierce, but he will earn less money with the Clippers than he would have by staying in DC. 

I'm happy Paul was here to contribute to the growth of our young players. With what we offered him, I wish he stayed put in a Wizards uniform. That type of leadership is exactly what this team needed. I'm hoping John, Brad & Otto learned that killer instinct mentality in crunch time situations.

I'm worried now about who we are going to sign in FA, and more importantly at what price. Guys are getting paid left and right :smh:.

We definitely need a stretch 4 f that's our game plan going forward.

They may as well get it done now.  A max deal under the current cap will seem reasonable once the new TV money factors into next year's figures.  
His contract would be a percentage of that years salary cap so his max would look more like Anthony Davis (5 for 145) than kawhi Leonard (5 for 90) but he was a lower draft pick and didn't hit the Derrick rose rule incentives like Anthony Davis so he's probably at 5 for 130 or something like that. Also if we extend him now I think that could ruin our cap room for next summer, where as letting him become a restricted free agent he gets a "cap hold" of like 120% of his cap number this year ~$10 mil until we sign him. Basically the only reason we have to give him a deal now is if we think we can get a discount

Looks like we'll make use of the Andre Miller trade exception (and yet ANOTHER second round pick) to bring in Jared Dudley.  Dudley's heading into the last year of his deal, so he'd be on a mercenary run with no salary impact on the grand pursuit of KD next summer. 

Any thoughts?  

They may as well get it done now.  A max deal under the current cap will seem reasonable once the new TV money factors into next year's figures.  
His contract would be a percentage of that years salary cap so his max would look more like Anthony Davis (5 for 145) than kawhi Leonard (5 for 90) but he was a lower draft pick and didn't hit the Derrick rose rule incentives like Anthony Davis so he's probably at 5 for 130 or something like that. Also if we extend him now I think that could ruin our cap room for next summer, where as letting him become a restricted free agent he gets a "cap hold" of like 120% of his cap number this year ~$10 mil until we sign him. Basically the only reason we have to give him a deal now is if we think we can get a discount
It was my understanding that a percentage of the salary cap is used to calculate a max contract, based on a player's experience.  (A player in their first six years qualifies for 25% of the cap, 7-10 would be 30%, and 10+ 35%.)  

The initial terms are dictated by the current cap figure, with an allowance for predetermined annual raises.  In other words, year two of a five year contract signed this summer isn't 25% of the salary cap in 2016-2017, it's 25% of the current maximum plus the player's annual raise (maximum 7.5%.)  There's a reason why LeBron James keeps signing 1 and 1's, so that he remains eligible for the full max as calculated using the most current cap value.  He's betting on his health and the growth of league revenues.  

Consequently, I'd assumed that a contract signed this summer would be based on current values (otherwise, any figures presented today would represent an estimation of a percentage yet to be calculated), but it seems that's not the case for extensions set to begin in 2016-2017.  (Hence the reason Lillard will make more than Kawhi Leonard.)

Apparently the figures being tossed around for Davis, Lillard, etc. are based on an estimated $90 million cap.  The actual amounts have yet to be established. 

I don't see any scenario in which Kevin Durant leaves for DC WITHOUT Beal on the roster.  If it's going to work, it's got to work with all three players. Nene's $13 million coming off the books will help significantly.  

Washington has $32 million committed in 2016-2017.  (John Wall, $15.75 mil, Gortat, $12 million, Humphries, $4.6 million.)  Throw in Porter's team option and that's another $6 million.  Add a maxed out Beal at $22.5 and you can still fit Durant's "mega max" in there under the estimated $90 million figure, but the supporting cast would need to run pretty lean to say the least. 

Given the above, I agree that there isn't a strong financial incentive to sign Beal to the extension today, especially given his injury woes, unless there's some discount involved for the sake of long term security.  He'll be an RFA, after all, so the worst you could really do is be forced to match someone else's max offer.  You'd just have to hope that no dissension, distraction, or drama is created by the delay.  That's the LAST thing this franchise needs, especially given the instability signified by Pierce's departure.  

Barring injury, what could cause the Wizards to just straight up renounce the cap hold and allow Beal to become unrestricted?  If, somehow, you NEED extra money for KD and he doesn't particularly want Beal there... include him in a sign and trade.  OKC obviously values him.  They offered Harden for him.  

I wouldn't be too upset if the deal wound up getting done.  You're more likely to want Beal under contract than not.  

Looks like we'll make use of the Andre Miller trade exception (and yet ANOTHER second round pick) to bring in Jared Dudley.  Dudley's heading into the last year of his deal, so he'd be on a mercenary run with no salary impact on the grand pursuit of KD next summer. 

Any thoughts?  

It was my understanding that a percentage of the salary cap is used to calculate a max contract, based on a player's experience.  (A player in their first six years qualifies for 25% of the cap, 7-10 would be 30%, and 10+ 35%.)  

The initial terms are dictated by the current cap figure, with an allowance for predetermined annual raises.  In other words, year two of a five year contract signed this summer isn't 25% of the salary cap in 2016-2017, it's 25% of the current maximum plus the player's annual raise (maximum 7.5%.)  There's a reason why LeBron James keeps signing 1 and 1's, so that he remains eligible for the full max as calculated using the most current cap value.  He's betting on his health and the growth of league revenues.  

Consequently, I'd assumed that a contract signed this summer would be based on current values (otherwise, any figures presented today would represent an estimation of a percentage yet to be calculated), but it seems that's not the case for extensions set to begin in 2016-2017.  (Hence the reason Lillard will make more than Kawhi Leonard.)

Apparently the figures being tossed around for Davis, Lillard, etc. are based on an estimated $90 million cap.  The actual amounts have yet to be established. 

I don't see any scenario in which Kevin Durant leaves for DC WITHOUT Beal on the roster.  If it's going to work, it's got to work with all three players. Nene's $13 million coming off the books will help significantly.  

Washington has $32 million committed in 2016-2017.  (John Wall, $15.75 mil, Gortat, $12 million, Humphries, $4.6 million.)  Throw in Porter's team option and that's another $6 million.  Add a maxed out Beal at $22.5 and you can still fit Durant's "mega max" in there under the estimated $90 million figure, but the supporting cast would need to run pretty lean to say the least. 

Given the above, I agree that there isn't a strong financial incentive to sign Beal to the extension today, especially given his injury woes, unless there's some discount involved for the sake of long term security.  He'll be an RFA, after all, so the worst you could really do is be forced to match someone else's max offer.  You'd just have to hope that no dissension, distraction, or drama is created by the delay.  That's the LAST thing this franchise needs, especially given the instability signified by Pierce's departure.  

Barring injury, what could cause the Wizards to just straight up renounce the cap hold and allow Beal to become unrestricted?  If, somehow, you NEED extra money for KD and he doesn't particularly want Beal there... include him in a sign and trade.  OKC obviously values him.  They offered Harden for him.  

I wouldn't be too upset if the deal wound up getting done.  You're more likely to want Beal under contract than not.  

Very true if we can get beals deal done we should, since it wouldn't affect the cap going forward for KD. I wasn't sure how much we had committed for next year and what KD's max would become under the new cap. But we don't get a "old cap" discount on Beal's contract the way the Spurs did on Kawhi's or we are on John Wall's. We are posing basically market value for beal, even if the cap does get up to 108 or so the year after

Really like the Dudley trade. Like Jorge Castillo pointed out, it's another body to put on Lebron. Not to mention Dudley can help spacing with his range.

On a side note, did anyone catch what J. Michael wrote (in the comments section) of his article from this AM? Nothing too earth shattering, but....

The Wizards know already that Durant has them in their top 2 destinations if he leaves OKC. No one can say anything publicly b/c it would result in a massive fine for "tampering." So you plan to land him -- and you always have a plan b, c & d in case you don't -- but the fact is you have your core of Wall, Beal, Porter & Gortat under contract when he's a FA. And you have a massive amount of cash to throw at him. ... The Wizards planned on Ariza returning, he didn't. So Pierce was their Plan B. Not a bad Plan B at all. They got him, benefited greatly from him, didn't tie themselves up long term in the process.

Morning tip: Wizards sacrifice again for Kevin Durant

'16 can't come soon enough...

Def got an ESPN alert earlier that we were close to landing West... Solid pickup IMO...

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m3 minutes ago
Free agent guard Gary Neal has agreed to a one-year, $2.1M deal with Washington, league source tells Yahoo.

If we land West and figure out a S&T partner to get rid of Seraphin, then this offseason couldn't be going much better....

You have to wonder if Pierce is feeling any buyer's remorse right now, with Deandre Jordan headed to Dallas.  

Aside from losing Pierce, you have to be pleased - if not stunned - by the moves the Wizards have made to improve while simultaneously maintaining maximum flexibility next summer.  

Barring some last minute change of heart from Pierce (and he wouldn't be the first to change his mind after "agreeing to terms"), David West (a player who, himself, "agreed to terms" with Boston during the moratorium, only to sign with Indiana) would be a quality replacement.  

We need to maintain that toughness and self-policing in the locker room - ESPECIALLY when you have another AAU victim coming in:  http://www.bulletsforever.com/2015/...-wizards-basketball-illiterate-nba-draft-2015

My only concern at this point are the rumors that Ernie is trying to unload Nene, in some harebrained scheme to have his salary absorbed by another team.  If you were going to do that, do it two years ago.  Not now, in the FINAL year of his deal.  There's NO trade on this front that can be made without sacrificing cap flexibility next summer, and, honestly, I don't think you stand to gain much on the production side next year.  Who's left on the board that would REALLY move the needle?  

I don't want to see Ernie's fascination with undersized combo guards rear its ugly head again.  We're fortunate enough that he's momentarily shaken his addiction to Euro-stiffs.  

I'd rather see the team continue to stay the course and add proven, team-first vets on short term deals than try for some ill-conceived home run play.  

You'd get better offers for Nene at the deadline, anyway.  Trading for cap space now only results in lopsided giveaways and sweetheart deals.  

You have to wonder if Pierce is feeling any buyer's remorse right now, with Deandre Jordan headed to Dallas.  

Aside from losing Pierce, you have to be pleased - if not stunned - by the moves the Wizards have made to improve while simultaneously maintaining maximum flexibility next summer.  

Barring some last minute change of heart from Pierce (and he wouldn't be the first to change his mind after "agreeing to terms"), David West (a player who, himself, "agreed to terms" with Boston during the moratorium, only to sign with Indiana) would be a quality replacement.  

We need to maintain that toughness and self-policing in the locker room - ESPECIALLY when you have another AAU victim coming in:  http://www.bulletsforever.com/2015/...-wizards-basketball-illiterate-nba-draft-2015

My only concern at this point are the rumors that Ernie is trying to unload Nene, in some harebrained scheme to have his salary absorbed by another team.  If you were going to do that, do it two years ago.  Not now, in the FINAL year of his deal.  There's NO trade on this front that can be made without sacrificing cap flexibility next summer, and, honestly, I don't think you stand to gain much on the production side next year.  Who's left on the board that would REALLY move the needle?  

I don't want to see Ernie's fascination with undersized combo guards rear its ugly head again.  We're fortunate enough that he's momentarily shaken his addiction to Euro-stiffs.  

I'd rather see the team continue to stay the course and add proven, team-first vets on short term deals than try for some ill-conceived home run play.  

You'd get better offers for Nene at the deadline, anyway.  Trading for cap space now only results in lopsided giveaways and sweetheart deals.  

I think he's dangling Nene out there because he seems to be going hard on the small ball approach and doesn't see enough minutes or a starting role for him, which would DEFINITELY become a problem for him. Also I think he's really interested in creating a trade exception so if we do pull of the unthinkable we have a new avenue to add to the roster next summer

If we land West and figure out a S&T partner to get rid of Seraphin, then this offseason couldn't be going much better....
Well, we certainly know somebody who's suddenly become desperate for a starting center.  Word is they can't make a move for Hibbert. 

Seraphin for Jamal Crawford?  He's in the last year of his deal, at least, though his vaunted bench scoring (a Wizards need) was largely absent when it mattered most last year.  

The old Celtics are one of few good teams Seraphin used to go to town on.  Maybe that will stick in Doc's mind.  Kevin is like the anti-DJ.  He's not athletic.  He's not a rim protector.  They don't really need the extra offense, but they're pretty low on options and Doc's track record as a GM has been questionable.  I wouldn't be shocked if they kick the tires on that, considering their current panic level.  If you're out there scrambling for a shot at Kosta Koufos, that's a poor indicator.  

Only downside is now everyone's talking Clippers as a potential Durant destination.  I don't see it, personally.  If you're signing a four year deal in 2016, you'd rather team up with John Wall than Chris Paul - and there's far less risk of clashing egos and squabbling over shot attempts with our roster.  
I think he's dangling Nene out there because he seems to be going hard on the small ball approach and doesn't see enough minutes or a starting role for him, which would DEFINITELY become a problem for him. Also I think he's really interested in creating a trade exception so if we do pull of the unthinkable we have a new avenue to add to the roster next summer
Wittman FINALLY got the memo on floor spacing and midrange jumpshots in the playoffs, and Nene was obviously NOT a factor in most of the games that really mattered.  

That said, he didn't seem to mind coming off the bench during the regular season - and he's arguably more effective in that role.  Nene's a better facilitator than he's generally given credit for.  With Seraphin on his way out, you could potentially sell Nene on getting MORE touches per game in a reserve role - running the offense through him when the second unit is on the floor - than he'd get otherwise, as the fourth option in the starting lineup.  

When you look at the teams capable of absorbing Nene's salary, they aren't going to do so because they want his production.  They're going to demand other assets for the trouble.  It would be more like Philly's role in the Kings salary dump than the Hawks' acquisition of Splitter.  Keeping Nene helps us have the best season we can next year - which is a great recruiting tool - while giving us $13 million in guaranteed cap space when he comes off the books, and we don't have to give up any additional picks or perks for the privilege.  

The approach that we all seem to value here is disciplined.  The risk/return on paying somebody to take Nene off of our hands seems exceptionally poor to me.  

I don't think there is a scenario where we pay someone to take nene. If that's out there then I missed that and would be highly disappointed if we did. If we get west then there definitely a time crunch up front. And tbh I'm sick of nene's garbage. He only tries 1/3 of the time and thinks he is way better than he is

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom