Washington Wizards 2014-2015 Season Thread - Thanks for a great season!

Will the Wizards win the Southeast Division this season?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Pat Buchanan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks solid but feel like we need more than just journeymen to take to the next level but we'll see. Maybe I'm just taking out greif from losing Pierce

Looks solid but feel like we need more than just journeymen to take to the next level but we'll see. Maybe I'm just taking out greif from losing Pierce

We didn't have a next level move to make this year. We filled in with solid vets and maintained flexibility for KD next summer. Now we gotta hope for some internal improvement from beal, porter, and wall. Plus hope Gortat doesn't break down and randy can not look clueless..,.and pray. Definitely pray.

Back up PG is still a concern of mine. Is Sessions staying? Still wish we kept Shelvin Mack or instead of getting Andre Miller went after Jarod Jack.

Back up PG is still a concern of mine. Is Sessions staying? Still wish we kept Shelvin Mack or instead of getting Andre Miller went after Jarod Jack.

Or, how about if we actually held on to Jordan Clarkson?

I think Sessions is on the books for one more year. Not the best thing, nor the worst thing in the world. He'll be adequate.

Morning tip: Kudos to Wizards for selling 2nd-round pick

Jordan Clarkson, the No. 46 draft pick by the Wizards which was sold to the Los Angeles Lakers, is back and forth to the D-League and getting just spot minutes for one of the NBA's worst teams.

The initial deal was made on draft night in June, when the Wizards sold the slot for almost $2 million rather than clogging up their roster with a longshot player who ate up salary-cap space.

Jarnell Stokes, Spencer Dinwiddie, Johnny O'Bryant and Dwight Powell -- all of whom the Wizards would've taken if available -- were off the board. So they made the prudent move, left open the 15th roster spot and focused on signing an experienced, unrestricted free agent to a non-guaranteed contract. That gave them cap flexibility and kept open the option of signing another player by the Jan. 10 deadline if that free agent didn't work out.

So instead of choosing Clarkson, Russ Smith, Cameron Bairstow, Alec Brown, Thanasis Anteokounmpo and many more like them who were drafted beyond No. 46 of the second round, the Wizards settled on Rasual Butler.

How does this move, or non-move, look now? And how ridiculous was the knee-jerk reaction, and rush to judgment that's typical today, about the front office bypassing the pick without seeing the big picture? Or deriding owner Ted Leonsis for having the nerve to make a buck on it as if giving it away for free would've been better? The Wizards' front office knew what it was doing, what options were on the table, the salary-cap situation and how much the upcoming moves would cost to stay below the luxury tax.

This isn't to say Clarkson is a bad player at all, or any of the other names mentioned or players taken after them. If they were good enough to be drafted, they deserve some respect because this isn't charity. It's business. But it's also about job fit and their ability to play now on this Wizards roster. Butler is averaging 11 points, his highest output since 2009-10 with the Los Angeles Clippers. He's shooting 53.4% from three-point range putting him top 5 in the NBA. Butler, who has scored as many as 23 points twice, is also finishing games in the fourth quarter during crunch time. He made seven consecutive shots to help the Wizards pull away from the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday.

Could any of these rookies have done what Butler has done? No. Would the Wizards (18-6) be in this position atop the Southeast Division with the No. 46 instead of Butler? No. They've had contingency plans for the contingencies. When the Wizards lost Trevor Ariza in free agency, they pulled the trigger on Paul Pierce within hours. When they couldn't find the size they coveted in the draft -- executing deals for Kris Humphries, DeJuan Blair and retaining Kevin Seraphin -- they wisely moved on to the next need which was a shooter. Ray Allen had been on their radar since free agency opened in July, but Butler played his way in through training camp. Tomas Satoransky, their 2012 second-round pick, stayed abroad but they still had a $4.6 million option to exercise on Andre Miller.

If the Wizards had drafted and signed a pick at No. 46, there wouldn't have been an open roster spot and Butler wouldn't have come here for camp.

And signing a second-round pick means, unlike with first-round picks, salary exceptions aren't granted. The Wizards are close to the luxury tax level and picks such as No. 46 usually get just a minimum salary but require the use of cap room. A team can sign a vet such as Butler to the $1.4 million minimum without regard to the cap -- the collective bargaining agreement is purposefully constructed this way to reward years of service.

Realistic or not, this is a franchise with championship aspirations and wants to win now. They weren't going to get there by drafting a raw talent who might never develop while being paid an NBA salary in the D-League where the Wizards don't have a single affiliate.

The Wizards did their homework. All of the thinking being done here, evident by so many current contracts expiring in 2016 when Kevin Durant becomes an unrestricted free agent, has the long game in mind while simultaneously covering all the short-term bases. And on multiple fronts, president Ernie Grunfeld and senior vice president Tommy Sheppard knocked this one out of the park, too.
http://www.csnwashington.com/basket...ning-tip-kudos-wizards-selling-2nd-round-pick

#NeverForget

Or, how about if we actually held on to Jordan Clarkson?

I think Sessions is on the books for one more year. Not the best thing, nor the worst thing in the world. He'll be adequate.

:lol: one of those moves that at the moment no one thought twice about, but since he rose to the level he did everyone remembers that the Wizards shipped him out

Last edited:
Bullets Forever ‏@BulletsForever

Good news: While you were celebrating this weekend, the Wizards did not add a cent of guaranteed money beyond this season.

Ernie Grunfeld having a quality offseason...

We just signed Alan Anderson to a 1 year, 4 mil deal.

Link

Alan Anderson is a pretty steep drop from Paul Pierce, but I can't be too upset. 

David West didn't want a role, he wanted a ring.  Once he started talking to the Cavs and Warriors, we were out of the running.  

You wonder if Paul Pierce and the Clippers are having some second thoughts right about now.  Pierce wouldn't have left the Wizards if he thought it was a lateral move.  He thought he was headed to a better situation.  Meanwhile, if you're the Clippers is the upgrade that Pierce offers over Lance Stephenson really more important than the difference between Robin Lopez and JaVale McGee?  After trading Hawes, they had no Plan B.  They went from title contender to attempting a sign and trade for Roy Hibbert to whiffing on Ryan Hollins.  

They'd be better off letting Pierce go and using that cap space to try and fill their gaping void at center.  

Since that won't happen, we're basically looking at a stopgap season here.  It'll be a step down unless the young nucleus steps up.  However, things could have been much, much worse.  Of all the teams that lost out this off season, you have to give the Wizards' credit for a graceful recovery.  There were no desperation moves here.  We didn't throw $20+ million at some third rate player.  

If at the end of the year we're still in contention to make the ECF and loaded with cap space, you have to consider that a big picture win.  

Realistically, there was no move we could make this summer to put us in the top 4, league-wide.  We have that potential next summer, however, thanks to team's discipline this year.

Unfortunately, we'll have more rivals for KD next summer than we might have expected.  Dallas thinks they've made a big leap with Deandre Jordan and Wes Matthews (I still prefer our roster).  The Clippers for some reason think they're legit KD contenders.  Miami always thinks they have a shot at everyone.  

Still, if we have a 20% shot to make that leap, that's worth it.  If you swing and miss, you can still be an elite club in a weak conference.  

Thank goodness our version of "trust the process" no longer includes gambling on lottery picks.  

Crazy seeing West want a ring that much, like are the memories from a championship run worth 11 mil?

Even better what if the Spurs dont come close to winning was the sacrafice worth it?

Crazy seeing West want a ring that much, like are the memories from a championship run worth 11 mil?

Even better what if the Spurs dont come close to winning was the sacrafice worth it?

He's made 87 mil in his career. I wouldn't feel too bad about his decision to turn down the cash to chase a ring.

Y'all been watching us play in the Summer League? Oubre is looking decent.
With the Wizards' track record, I'm still skeptical.  They billed Oubre as a future 3 & D player, but his percentage from distance has been horrendous thus far.  Rebounding numbers can be inflated in summer league, since they're glorified pick up games and there are simply more missed shots to go around, so it's difficult to put too much stock in his relative success on the glass.  

The positive accounts of his work ethic following poor performances is a plus and will hopefully separate him from the team's previous "high potential, low skill/awareness" picks.  

Still, if he's getting lost out there in a pickup game, it's going to take a long time before they can feel comfortable entrusting him with meaningful minutes.  

If everyone came into summer league fresh, with no preconceived notions about who played where or was highly recruited out of high school, I don't know how many people would honestly consider him a real standout player.  

He looks the part in terms of prototypical size and athleticism, but we're not casting for a sports movie.  I'm just seeing it in terms of actual production yet, and I doubt we will this season - especially now that the best tutor/role model on the team has departed. 

Only things that worries me about his injury is that it will only sure the opinion thats hes gonna be in really bad shape come October

http://www.csnwashington.com/basket...ent-be-kevin-seraphin-eager-blossom-elsewhere
"I definitely want a chance to be a starter," Seraphin, who matched his career high with 79 regular-season appearances but didn't start a game for the 46-win Wizards, told CSNwashington.com. "I definitely want to be somewhere I have a chance to be a starter."
Sounds like Seraphin's heading back to Europe.
I was close.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...vin-seraphin-signs-one-year-deal-with-knicks/

Bruh.... If that trade is on the table you take it EVERY SINGLE TIME

So we're making moves for the sake of making moves? Nene's contract ends this year anyway. Does that move really improve the team aside from getting younger? No not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom