WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 FINALE out now

Gunn had one job, one ******* job and that was essentially make an Avengers in space type film with alien misfits.
This shows how wrong you got it.

The Guardians are not the Avengers in space in any shape or form. At least not these Guardians. Maybe you're thinking of the future time displaced ones.

Just throwing in the word misfits doesn't change how distorted your take is on it.

The only difference between DnA's GOTG and Gunn's GOTG is his has a lighter take when it comes to humor. Everything else for an origin movie is on point given he couldn't use the Annihilation wave/war as the catalyst.

The comparison is just as off if you tried to call the Defenders a "street level" Avengers.

Last edited:
I never cared about the Guardians at all and still don't (I don't read the comics or watch the show), but Gunn made me like them just through the virtue of making a good movie.

I was reading about how Star Lord was originally supposed to be this douchebag from Earth who eventually develops super powers, but the writer left the project and never went that route. Since he channels an Infinity Stone in the movie it would be cool if that happens.

I was reading about how Star Lord was originally supposed to be this douchebag from Earth who eventually develops super powers, but the writer left the project and never went that route. Since he channels an Infinity Stone in the movie it would be cool if that happens.
Link?

That sounds wildly different to the comics. Only thing special about Quill is he's half alien. Got an elemental gun and that's it.

Last edited:
Link?

That sounds wildly different to the comics. Only thing special about Quill is he's half alien. Got an elemental gun and that's it.
Back in the 70s that was the creator's original intention. I don't think he was meant to be part of the GoTG group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star-Lord
[h2]Publication history[/h2]
The character first appeared in the black-and-white magazine publication Marvel Preview #4 (Jan 1976). Creator Steve Englehart had plans for the character that went unrealized. He later reflected on his website:
I conceived something very large. My hero would go from being an unpleasant, introverted jerk to the most cosmic being in the universe, and I would tie it into my then-new interest in astrology. After his earthbound beginning, his mind would be opened step by step, with a fast-action story on Mercury, a love story on Venus, a war story on Mars, and so on out to the edge of the solar system, and then beyond.

But – after his earthbound beginning, where I established him as an unpleasant, introverted jerk, I left Marvel, so no one ever saw what he was to become.[sup][1][/sup]

Last edited:

The Guardians are not the Avengers in space in any shape or form. At least not these Guardians. Maybe you're thinking of the future time displaced ones.

Just throwing in the word misfits doesn't change how distorted your take is on it.

The only difference between DnA's GOTG and Gunn's GOTG is his has a lighter take when it comes to humor. Everything else for an origin movie is on point given he couldn't use the Annihilation wave/war as the catalyst.

The comparison is just as off if you tried to call the Defenders a "street level" Avengers.

Get outta here Zik. Those weren't DnA's Guardians that was Bendis' goofy *** interpretation of the Guardians infused with James Gunn goofy *** direction style. Just like KingdomFlatbush KingdomFlatbush I've never cared for the Guardians but seeing them on screen SHOULD'VE been an amazing experience. All I could think about was how much this movie was gonna expand the Marvel universe with the cosmic realm. Reminiscing about Thanos Quest. Thinking about how Annihilation made the Guardians seem cool. The brief but awesome Comic Con footage. And what did I get? A maybe Korbinite skull, Celestials in a flashback and Howard the Duck. That's what Guardians did for the marvel universe. I say "make an Avengers film in space" because marvel could do no wrong after avengers until then. Follow the same blue print you did for avengers, set it in space and you have success. I don't know what Feige was thinkin giving Gunn the reigns for something that was suppose to expand your cinematic franchise. I guess Firefly having only like 4 episodes wasn't enough of a red flag but Gunn failed us. Came to grips with this when Rocket was crying for being called vermin instead of shoving the barrel of a gun up someone's nose and daring them to say it again. And there was still another hour of the movie I had to sit through and a dance scene in the third act that I didn't see coming. :smh:

...and the defenders are street level avengers. Hulk? Hercules? Cage? Many of them are actual Avengers :lol:

Last edited:
Link?

Back in the 70s that was the creator's original intention. I don't think he was meant to be part of the GoTG group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star-Lord
[h2]Publication history[/h2]

The character first appeared in the black-and-white magazine publication Marvel Preview #4 (Jan 1976). Creator Steve Englehart had plans for the character that went unrealized. He later reflected on his website:

I conceived something very large. My hero would go from being an unpleasant, introverted jerk to the most cosmic being in the universe, and I would tie it into my then-new interest in astrology. After his earthbound beginning, his mind would be opened step by step, with a fast-action story on Mercury, a love story on Venus, a war story on Mars, and so on out to the edge of the solar system, and then beyond.
But – after his earthbound beginning, where I established him as an unpleasant, introverted jerk, I left Marvel, so no one ever saw what he was to become.[SUP][1][/SUP]
Oh I thought you meant for the GotG movie.

And yeah, Star-Lord was created just as that with a few solo space stories about him.

The ressurgence of the GotG in comics came about recently like back in 2008 with the DnA run. They literally took some cosmic characters and slapped the GotG label on them since before there really weren't a premiere Marvel space team.

Before that there was the original GotG that was set in the future that had a solid run .

None of the current member of the present day team were created to be on it.

Get outta here Zik. Those weren't DnA's Guardians that was Bendis' goofy *** interpretation of the Guardians infused with James Gunn goofy *** direction style.
You really clearly don't know what you're talking about so I'd say just keep not caring about the GotG.

Especially pretending you know what you talking about with the DnA version. Whole team's inception was motivated by a war. The whole time for the beginning changes if you can grasp that compared to the movie.

All Bendis had the luxury of in 2012 was knowing what the GotG movie in 2014 was gonna be like to match it to a degree.
..and the defenders are street level avengers. Hulk? Hercules? Cage? Many of them are actual Avengers :lol:
Yeah you're cometely missing the point and themes about the OG Defenders and what this Defenders is going to be.

The fact that you're mixing the two together mentioning the Hulk and Cage and ******* Hercules shows that you're not well versed on that history.

The OG Defenders were a non team that came together for specific reasons. They were far from street level given the founding members were Hulk, Dr. Strange and Namor. Even when more members joined it was never street level.

The upcoming version of the Defenders aren't just a street level version of the Avengers either. Just cuz a team is formed doesn't mean you can just keep saying they're a _____ version of the Avengers. That's a pretty poor reductive and unimaginative comparison.

Just saying these guys were Avengers so the Defenders are street level Avengers is dumb as ****. Makes me wonder if you grasp what the Avengers and their theme is actually about.

Last edited:
First thing that came to my mind is the Jordan statue in Chicago. Can't imagine how notable people from Brooklyn (athlete or celebrity)feel when a fictional character, Captain America, has a statue now.

That thread title though. @Captain America, defend yourself.
didn't even notice

roll.gif

I mean I kinda doubt any brooklynites will give a **** but it'll be a small tourist attraction and I'm sure Cap fans will show up.

I wouldn't want to see it go left with the whole fictional character gets a statue.

@RFX45

Cmon b [emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji]

Back
Top Bottom