WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 release 3/20

it was a blessing in disguise that marvel didnt have the rights to the spiderman, xmen and f4

i think spidey and batman are still #1 and #2 in terms of hero popularity

Reactions: MVP
just watched endgame again and i was thinking how it’s crazy the mcu vaulted lesser acclaimed super heroes the way that it did.

maybe it’s just me but when i was a kid it was x-men, batman and honorable mention power rangers and ninja turtles.

i’m a BIG batman mark but am i crazy for thinking that iron man and captain america are probably bigger than batman and superman now?

at the very least for kids

It ain’t crazy to me, they were really the only ones who really took it seriously

Nolan took it seriously obviously, but he tried to ground things and take it out of the comic book world and really there are Batman villains he wouldn’t touch

Raimi did the closet thing, but he’s Sam raimi so he had to throw his touch on things.. and blade and hell boy just didn’t have the legs

it was a blessing in disguise that marvel didnt have the rights to the spiderman, xmen and f4

i think spidey and batman are still #1 and #2 in terms of hero popularity

I mean it’s a blessing in that it allowed them to branch out.. or I guess you could argue it was a blessing in that they started out with Ironman and their luck allowed them to get RDJ at a time he’d NEED to do it plus being a perfect fit

But I think they could have easily taken the same build up approach if they had the rights to say xmen or spidey.. cause it isn’t like the phase 1 movies were great but we knew they were at least building up to avengers

just watched endgame again and i was thinking how it’s crazy the mcu vaulted lesser acclaimed super heroes the way that it did.

maybe it’s just me but when i was a kid it was x-men, batman and honorable mention power rangers and ninja turtles.

i’m a BIG batman mark but am i crazy for thinking that iron man and captain america are probably bigger than batman and superman now?

I'm with you. The 3 most popular superheroes when I was growing up were Spider-man, Wolverine and Batman. Endgame featured one of them for a very small portion of the film.
It's pretty awesome to see.

nt is really the only ones bashing phase 1 films :lol:

for the most part it was still better than most of the xmen films, it doesnt buthcer characters and powers and actually have comic accurate costumes

if we had these threads back then, id bet the reactions to cap1 and thor1 are vastly different to todays, hell whedon was this great and almight director for A1 but now feelings not the same

spidey isnt really going to build up into a huge team-up and the same with xmen, maybe a huge event but its not gon' have the same impact as having all your heroes team up in one film for the very first time

nt is really the only ones bashing phase 1 films :lol:

for the most part it was still better than most of the xmen films, it doesnt buthcer characters and powers and actually have comic accurate costumes

if we had these threads back then, id bet the reactions to cap1 and thor1 are vastly different to todays, hell whedon was this great and almight director for A1 but now feelings not the same

spidey isnt really going to build up into a huge team-up and the same with xmen, maybe a huge event but its not gon' have the same impact as having all your heroes team up in one film for the very first time

From what I remember (it's been awhile :lol: ) Cap 1 and Thor 1 weren't really regarded highly here when they dropped. I'm still not that high on First Avenger, even though I think it fit a Cap origin story/theme to a T, I just always thought Cap was to cheesy for me even as a kid.
Thor 1 I enjoyed when it dropped. It wasn't astounding but you're right, for an early Phase 1 film it was fun when it came out.
What's funny is I wasn't even a big fan of the first Avengers when it dropped, thought it had moments but altogether didn't grab me, but watching it after Endgame made me appreciate it a lot more.

Ironman showed what MCU could do, big time,. and avengers paid off huge

Avengers is a tier 2 MCU movie, behind AOU but ahead of a lot of movies.. and now that we’re at this point it’s cool to go back and watch that movie again.. but avengers was a damn spectacle and paid off in the same vain that IW and EG did, in a sense

Cap and Thor were alright at the time, but both were damn better than any X-men movie to me.. hell, Ironman 2 had moments and still does but just did and does feel like it could have been better handled.. and hulk was solid enough

But the amazing thing is, out of all the studios that couldn’t really afford patience.. marvel was the one studio to actual use it

i remember it being liked, not as highly as the sequels of course but many liked the origins, the paratrooper-esque costume, red skull, peggy, howling commandos, etc...

now IM2, that was hated right away and Cap1 and Thor1 wasnt on that level for sure back then... it is now though

out of all the studios that couldn’t really afford patience.. marvel was the one studio to actual use it

i think you are giving them too much credit, they didnt have the budget and if you look at the history of IMs production and filming, it was a nightmare and many were surprised at how it turned out

again it is a blessing in disguise what marvel had to go through because without those hardships, i dont see them being where they are today

I wouldn’t say IM2 was hated, but people were disappointed.. IM3 was hated

Cap and Thor just felt kinda lackluster a bit.. but those 3, I’m including IM2 and especially that, felt like speed bumps to A1

It’s kinda like with captain marvel to me, where that movie was like ok let’s get this done so we can set her up for end game.. same with ant man and the wasp

But black panther was like IM1 and actually felt fleshed out significantly more

i think you are giving them too much credit, they didnt have the budget and if you look at the history of IMs production and filming, it was a nightmare and many were surprised at how it turned out

again it is a blessing in disguise what marvel had to go through because without those hardships, i dont see them being where they are today

By no means do I not believe luck was heavily involved, because landing favreau who is a huge Ironman fan and as I mentioned RDJ and the improv stuff they reportedly did was huge

But marvel took their time to figure things out.. like with Thor where they tried to go Shakespeare route first

But it wasn’t like they went guns blazing with any of em, which I think is something that could and should be applied to all of this entities.. IM2 was the MCU’s rush misstep of the bat, but even that I think was a huge learning experience for them

Where I’ll really give them credit beyond that is fully appreciating what they had and not trying to run from what it was

im washed so my recollections arent the most accurate these days :lol:

Cap and Thor just felt kinda lackluster a bit.. but those 3, I’m including IM2 and especially that, felt like speed bumps to A1

It’s kinda like with captain marvel to me, where that movie was like ok let’s get this done so we can set her up for end game

But marvel took their time to figure things out.. like with Thor where they tried to go Shakespeare route first

does not add up :lol:

you cant say they rushed cap and thor to get to a1 because CM was literally rushed before endgame to shoehorn her there with her little role, its obvious when you could have taken her out and the story probably wouldnt change as much, she was the deus ex machina

like her role was so small that its hard to imagine she was in the drawing board when IW and EG were being concocted

while without cap and thor there would be no a1

Last edited:
I don’t think they rushed em, but I (and I think a lot of people) didn’t really care if they were just ok because the build up was to A1

Like with Thor they went with the guy who had done Shakespeare previously, but it just didn’t land.. they brought norton in for hulk.. and cap was just kinda dry, even though they had talent in the film (like Hugo for red skull)

But it didn’t matter because we knew something bigger was coming, so I just was glad to get the clues to that

Not saying it’s the exact same with captain marvel and antman and the wasp.. but I didn’t feel overly connected to either but couldn’t miss them just to see how’d they’d contribute to the bigger picture

Said the same thing way back when.

I look at what they did with phase 1 in awe with how they grew the marketability of Iron Man, Cap, and Thor. Not to mention overall they didnt do it with the best solo movies just entertaining overall. Nothing ever hurt the brand. These guys were after thoughts to the X-Men, Spidey, and Hulk for Marvel comics in 80s and 90s.

In a handful of years, the popularity of these movies got those 3 talked about in the same breath as Batman and Superman. Its gotten to the point where its the DC heroes playing catchup.

And given how they did it the MCU has basically created an environment where ANY marvel character can blowup and become the next big name being featured for 10 years.

That's why I laugh @ ppl sleeping on phase 4. Marvel giving ppl what they didnt even know they wanted.

Ironman 2 and 3 had great parts to it, they just ****ed the villains up royally. 2 touched on Tony's descent into alcoholism/being self obsessed great and 3 had a GREAT Mandarin until he became Trevor, then the movie fell apart to me.

Ironman 2 and 3 had great parts to it, they just ****ed the villains up royally. 2 touched on Tony's descent into alcoholism/being self obsessed great and 3 had a GREAT Mandarin until he became Trevor, then the movie fell apart to me.

IM2 just tried to do too much and had parts, but ultimately whiplash shoulda been crimson dynamo and just better.. I think marvel easily does that better, if they had a do over.. but the suitcase armor was still cool

IM3 had a lot of people involved feeling themselves and they thought they could f with the audience and legit had people (inclusive of myself) mad

Captain Marvel roles might not have been big but it wasn’t small either.

She helped bring down Stark, Destoyed Thanos ship and prevented that last snap. She had a nice role.

like i said, deus ex machina

i am sure they have other things planned for those parts like someone else could save stark or the milano makes it back to earth... thanos not sacrificing his minions by having his ship shoot down... cutting that snap could have been SWs role...

those parts are easy enough to write around if they didnt have CM

theres a reason they sent her out of the planet to explore/help out so she isnt in the film majority of the film

Back
Top Bottom