What can the NBA do about flopping?

I know this is like beating a dead horse with a stick, but NT hasn't had an official thread about discussing this growing issue. It's becoming more and more prevalent through the media (i.e ESPN's Flop of the Night, JVG's rants and most other broadcasters) that more teams/players are flopping to cause turnovers now more than ever before. It's hindering the quality of the game and reputation of the league as a whole.

With the new CBA recently implemented in December, what can league officials or Stern do to rectify this situation? Is it too late to do anything? Can they even do anything? If so, what measures and procedures can be taken?

I mean in soccer they have penalties for people that "dive" (flop) in the box and that seems to solve the issue there, but what more can be done? Should referees be able to look at flops through video replay and assign technical fouls and league officials drop fines?

I think the league should allow referees to look at flops through video replay and if it seems like the player has flopped then a technical foul should be given. If you're caught flopping 5 times within the year--a one game suspension should be handed out. This seems to be the only way we can stop this from happening.

indifferent.gif

- put another ref out there
- improve the quality of refereeing; essentially, these dudes are making a mockery of how incompetent and unaware the refs are when it comes to someone hitting the deck
- make the consequence worse than what it is (just a foul), because obviously the threat of suffering that consequence is nowhere CLOSE to enough of a deterrent

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

- put another ref out there
- improve the quality of refereeing; essentially, these dudes are making a mockery of how incompetent and unaware the refs are when it comes to someone hitting the deck
- make the consequence worse than what it is (just a foul), because obviously the threat of suffering that consequence is nowhere CLOSE to enough of a deterrent
pretty much sums it up.
i think the refs should just not award floppers will be good for the whole league because play will become more physical and the floppers will be weeded out once they start to not receive calls

Id be cool with giving out techs for flops. Have an extra ref just watching video. If there is a questionable charge let him review it for 20-30 seconds and either confirm the charge or give a tech for the flop, or have the ability to change the call from a charge/offensive foul to a blocking foul. Theres that much time taken after blatant flops anyways with the arguing and getting everything straightened out. Wouldnt add much time to the game. I would say only give out a T if it is blatant like that Reggie Evans, or the James Jones Flop against the Knicks last week that negated the Novak 3.

I dont think a suspension system is needed. Just keep the normal 16 techs or w/e it is per season for suspensions and once people know they are getting caught they will cut it back.

But some type of penalty is needed. The main problem is that there is NO PENALTY right now. The worst that happens is you dont get the call, then you just get up and try to flop again.

With the way basketball is called these days there is nothing you can do to stop flopping.

You can't review every flop that will take too much time in game.  You can say stop calling flops fouls....but that is what they are trying to do now and its not working.  Honestly its the same way it is in soccer.  It is culture.  The reward is too great to not try it at times.  I always thought the flop in basketball was ridiculous.  Even taking a charge you can get hit and take a step backwards and regain balance.  Dudes falling all over the floor and what not from a tap....

soccer = dive in the box 1. You get called for a dive and get a yellow card....really not that big of a deal
                                        2. The ref thinks your were actually fouled and you get a PK...score a goal change the game/win the game
HUGE payoff if you get touched in soccer to go down

In basketball i think its the same
    Flop on ground  = better chance of a charge getting called because the ref thinks you got hit hard.  Honestly if its a block its a block....but if you flop a blocking foul can become a charge the other way.  So just flop away its worth it

fines and suspensions

But the creative way is the scarlett letter treatment, A big, giant F sewn on to your jersey.

you need to embarrass them into not flopping AND hurt their pockets

5-game suspension for the first offense.
10-suspension for the 2nd.
82-game suspension for the 3rd offense.

I'm tired of seeing Chris Paul, Blake, Kobe, Harden, Wade etc. throw themselves on the floor to get a call.

Originally Posted by PMatic

Hit 'em where it hurts, their paychecks.

This.
I can understand SOMETIMES missing the call in the game, but after reviewing it fine the guys.

Just don't call it... Simple as that

If we can tell its a flop while watching on LIVE TV... I know the refs can tell the difference. These are some of the most strongest and athletic people in the world....Theres no reason for them to be flopping around like that off minimal contact...

....Take the NBA back to the 80's and early/mid 90's...
pimp.gif

^in refs defense, we have the benefit of camera angles and instant replay at home...they could be on the other side of the play and have body parts obstructing their view. that said, they should have a "dean of discipline" a la the NHL's brendan shanahan just dishing out fines for flops, complete with video explanations and analysis up on NBA.com for the world to see.

Originally Posted by frink85

^in refs defense, we have the benefit of camera angles and instant replay at home...they could be on the other side of the play and have body parts obstructing their view. that said, they should have a "dean of discipline" a la the NHL's brendan shanahan just dishing out fines for flops, complete with video explanations and analysis up on NBA.com for the world to see.

Im not even talking about replays fam...I'm talking about LIVE... Noah flops every time a shot goes up and he tries to boxout
laugh.gif
EVERY.SINGLE.TIME... He gets the loose ball foul call about 60% of the time too...

I just wanna know what happened to the NBA saying they were gonna fine people for flopping already. I swear like last season or the season before, they came out and said they were gonna start fining/suspending people for flopping. Then nothing ever happened. But this whole any emotion is a tech BS stuck.

The same that can be done in the NFL with players faking injuries...
Nothing! 
indifferent.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

The same that can be done in the NFL with players faking injuries...
Nothing! 
indifferent.gif

grin.gif

NFL instituted a rule the next week that fined players and costed a team timeouts and i believe other stricter penalties if it was decided a player was faking. I dont agree with everything Roger does. But hes not afraid to put in a new rule to stop dumb %$%* in the middle of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/st...pensions-faking-injuries

There you go. Loss of draft picks where threatened as well. So yes there is something the NBA can do. But they just sit back and allow it. Which is just making their product look that much worse.

I honestly feel players who flop should get techs and if they do it a second time they should get ejected after it's reviewed during the game. They'll feel real stupid then. Plus all flops reviewed by the league should have a minimum fine of $50,000.

Nobody will flop again if this is implemented. We'll have players being scared to death to lose their balance.

Fine them or suspend them... Its always
grin.gif
seeing a flop take place when on offense or defense you go out of your way to do it, when instead if you played straight up you can still get the job done.

i hate it, but its also alot easier for us to see it on tv with replays than for the refs who have less than a second to make the decision. of course its their job, but its human error/judgement.

Back
Top Bottom