What can the NBA do about flopping?

call a technical, or just not call a foul at all. if you dont give them the call when they fall, theyll stop falling

Man, some of these flops are so obvious, the refs should NOT be calling them. Having the defensive player on the ground like an idiot while the offense has the ball should be enough of a penalty. But clearly, the refs aren't good enough to realize a player shouldn't go flying after a little tap. So the league should be reviewing them and handing out fines until the players stop. Not huge fines but I doubt Blake is going to be willing to trade 10K for a potential foul call.

This sums up how bad flopping has become and the ineptness of NBA referees managing to *!*# it up AFTER replay.

http://espn.go.com/video/...d=2459789&id=7847962

Unbelievable. I wish the mainstream media went harder @ this issue...but it'll only be brought up if something drastic involving flopping happens in the playoffs, when all eyes are on the product.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

This sums up how bad flopping has become and the ineptness of NBA referees managing to *!*# it up AFTER replay.

Unbelievable. I wish the mainstream media went harder @ this issue...but it'll only be brought up if something drastic involving flopping happens in the playoffs, when all eyes are on the product.
30t6p3b.gif

I watched this live and I couldn't believe they kicked him out of the game for that CRAP. The refs even reviewed it and watched tape and they still @%$+!@ up.
30t6p3b.gif

I hate this part of the NBA and its embarrassing. How is this not penalized yet?

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

30t6p3b.gif

I watched this live and I couldn't believe they kicked him out of the game for that CRAP. The refs even reviewed it and watched tape and they still @%$+!@ up.
30t6p3b.gif

I hate this part of the NBA and its embarrassing. How is this not penalized yet?
just saw this, even if there was contact, no way should he have been thrown out. it was 100% a basketball play

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

"theyre obviously condoning this" jeff van
Basically. No1 is expecting them to have a perfect solution which is evident in this thread with all the different options. But just do something. Sitting there and letting these videos get on Sportscenter and NBA.com and to an even bigger extent WSHH, because that is getting to people who dont even watch the sport and they are seeing this foolishness. Thats not a good look for the product.

Part of me wants some dumb %%+% to go down in the playoffs with a bad flop that costs a team a game just so the media has to talk about it and it becomes a focal point of the playoffs just to put a little pressure on Stern to actually do somethin. And with the Clippers making the playoffs this year I just might get my wish.

Technical foul,

If it continues suspensions or like others said, Hurt their paychecks.

Nothing practical can be done, flopping has become a basketball play now. If you try to police it you would have to stop the game too often, and the fines would just cause a ton of issues with the players. I do want it go away though so hopefully the powers that be will at least try something

Originally Posted by Antidope

Nothing practical can be done, flopping has become a basketball play now. If you try to police it you would have to stop the game too often, and the fines would just cause a ton of issues with the players. I do want it go away though so hopefully the powers that be will at least try something

they already stop the game by calling fouls on the flops

and so far this week ive seen two times where the ref called "flagrant" fouls on the flops which requires a review, in one case they saw that they +%!@#@ up and changed it to a personal because theres nothing the rules against flopping... not to mention the tyrus thomas situation
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
  pretty sure they reviewed that and refused to admit fault... maybe they could change it to an offensive foul on these reviews but like JVG said, the nba is obviously condoning it

Originally Posted by DubA169

fines and suspensions

But the creative way is the scarlett letter treatment, A big, giant F sewn on to your jersey.

you need to embarrass them into not flopping AND hurt their pockets
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 Scarlet Letter type ishh 
laugh.gif

and so far this week ive seen two times where the ref called "flagrant" fouls on the flops which requires a review, in one case they saw that they +%!@#@ up and changed it to a personal because theres nothing the rules against flopping... not to mention the tyrus thomas situation
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
  pretty sure they reviewed that and refused to admit fault... maybe they could change it to an offensive foul on these reviews but like JVG said, the nba is obviously condoning it
Calling a foul doesn't take nearly as much time as rounding up the referees, discussing the play, and then going to the replay. There would be more time spent reviewing plays than actual playtime at every Clippers game. They do it sometimes but if they had to start doing it every time it would slow the game down to a crawl. Its the same thing with baseball and instant replay, it would just take too long. 

at the very least they need to hand out suspensions for these non contact flops, fines arent going to matter

we've seen two of the most notorious flops ever this season (bosh and singler) and if the nba refuses to address this in the off-season, then we all know the deal

at the very least they need to hand out suspensions for these non contact flops, fines arent going to matter

we've seen two of the most notorious flops ever this season (bosh and singler) and if the nba refuses to address this in the off-season, then we all know the deal
???

Kyle Singler plays for Real Madrid

That flop by Singleton last night was bad... although if Thomas had made contact it wouldn't have been pretty either

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
Calling a foul doesn't take nearly as much time as rounding up the referees, discussing the play, and then going to the replay. There would be more time spent reviewing plays than actual playtime at every Clippers game. They do it sometimes but if they had to start doing it every time it would slow the game down to a crawl. Its the same thing with baseball and instant replay, it would just take too long.
Who said anything about doing that? Let there be a 4th ref watching on a monitor that makes the judgment call quickly and efficiently. Forget the huddling of all 3 dudes. Plus like I said huge fines, so players would stop faster.

Originally Posted by JordanJayyy7

Let them play!
THIS.
Ignore the flopper.

Don't make a call either way.

Let the defender flop & the offensive player lay the ball in...

Eventually they'll start just playing defense again.

Originally Posted by joegolfdad

???

Kyle Singler plays for Real Madrid

That flop by Singleton last night was bad... although if Thomas had made contact it wouldn't have been pretty either

my bad on that one, i dont know #**% about wizards players, the youtube vid i read was wrong

These refs are on the same level as the wwe refs when they are knocked down and get up at the "right time "

Don't call it, free point for the offense since the basket will be wide open while they laying on the ground,

Back
Top Bottom