What can the NBA do about flopping?

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

The same that can be done in the NFL with players faking injuries...
Nothing! 
indifferent.gif

grin.gif

NFL instituted a rule the next week that fined players and costed a team timeouts and i believe other stricter penalties if it was decided a player was faking. I dont agree with everything Roger does. But hes not afraid to put in a new rule to stop dumb %$%* in the middle of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/st...pensions-faking-injuries

There you go. Loss of draft picks where threatened as well. So yes there is something the NBA can do. But they just sit back and allow it. Which is just making their product look that much worse.

i agree

It's all a grey area.
The only thing you could do is hand out technical's and fines and eventually suspensions for re-peat offenders.

Flops can be very subjective, and while we may see it as a flop, players will swear up and down that they got hit hard and fight any disciplinary action with the players union.
Just like technical fouls, most of the time we don't know what the verbal exchange was but we assume it was something offensive enough to receive a penalty, flops should be treated the same.

Originally Posted by frink85

they should have a "dean of discipline" a la the NHL's brendan shanahan just dishing out fines for flops, complete with video explanations and analysis up on NBA.com for the world to see.
I like this idea.

Originally Posted by erupt107th

5-game suspension for the first offense.
10-suspension for the 2nd.
82-game suspension for the 3rd offense.

I'm tired of seeing Chris Paul, Blake, Kobe, Harden, Wade etc. throw themselves on the floor to get a call.
Me too. I wish it all would just STOP. 
sick.gif

yelling to get a call is same as flopping to get one. Andrew Crynum does that *%++ all the time just like Corey Maggette used to do
laugh.gif

So glad the league cracked down on mamba flailing his arms to get fouls called. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

mjshoefanatic:
yelling to get a call is same as flopping to get one
Bless your heart.
Yeah that did not make any sense.
Its even sad seeing a 260lb dude flop the way Amare did to someone yesterday during the Hawks game.

Makes the game hard to watch

-First hire people to review games the next day and check all the fouls committed and see which instances where flops. Have two categories (Flop 1 and Flop 2s). Flop 1s are your basic flops, when a player reaches are certain number (which should be kinda high) he gets fined, if he reaches a even higher number he gets again fined and suspended. Flops 2 are Oscar level flops, (CP3, Manu, Griffin specials) it counts as a technical toward the players season total and 2 Flops towards a players season long flop count. 
-In game, give coaches option of challenging one foul call per game. (Maybe just in the 4th). If you get caught for flopping in a game it's a personal foul. If the catch you going a Italian level flop, a Flagrant 1. 

selling a charge when actually contacted was made, not a flop

exaggerating minor contact to draw a call, Flop 1s

most of what the Clippers do, Flops 2s 

-

Make them like flagrants:

Flop 1: Technical foul (accumulate like personal techs). Non-egregious, some contact.

Flop 2: Suspension. For no-contact flops, or egregious flops.

The player's association would require the league to define these, but in the end it's at the discretion of the league to assign a penalty based on their judgment. So you can try and sell a foul, but you run the risk of the league office dropping the hammer on you.

Shoot David Stern. He could have stopped this years ago if he wanted to. These referees have been reffing for how long and they cant recognize a flop? No, they see the flopping they just choose to act stupid when they want to. If the refs truly are this stupid Stern could have hired brighter refs years ago to fix the situation.

I hate it and I agree it's ruining the integrity and intensity of the game. My boy brought up a decent point, the league may allow it because there's no telling how hard a player has to get hit for a legitimate foul to be called, so instead of having them getting beaten every night with no reward for it, the NBA allows the flop to be a sort of a tattle tale sign that someone is playing too aggressively because there is normally a little contact behind every flop. There are times that I think the refs call fouls to specifically piss me off. Namely when Chris Fall touches anyone and collapses like the characters on the OG Family Guy episodes.

James Jones is a chump and the rest of the heat are clowns too. Wade tries to be so big and bad but hits the deck when someone grazes the pad on his knee.

I despise the Flop Angeles Clippers. It's like they take pride in who can flop the hardest.

JVG is a G. The league condones that garbage.

mjshoefanatic wrote:
yelling to get a call is same as flopping to get one. Andrew Crynum does that *%++ all the time just like Corey Maggette used to do
laugh.gif

So glad the league cracked down on mamba flailing his arms to get fouls called. 
laugh.gif

My friend, you reeeeaaaallllyyyy need to re-consider posting in this thread. That is all.

You may lurk... but please, for your sake. Just do NOT hit reply.

easiest way is to fine them big after each game.

the league already has someone that goes over each game wouldnt be that hard to crack down.

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

The same that can be done in the NFL with players faking injuries...
Nothing! 
indifferent.gif

grin.gif

NFL instituted a rule the next week that fined players and costed a team timeouts and i believe other stricter penalties if it was decided a player was faking. I dont agree with everything Roger does. But hes not afraid to put in a new rule to stop dumb %$%* in the middle of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/st...pensions-faking-injuries

There you go. Loss of draft picks where threatened as well. So yes there is something the NBA can do. But they just sit back and allow it. Which is just making their product look that much worse.

Might be different though, you're a lot more likely to get hurt in the NFL as opposed to the NBA.
Like Deon Grant said, how do you know if someone really is injured or not? 

Most injuries are internal, and us being on the outside would never be able to tell if they're really hurt or not without some type of X-Ray.

To me it bothered me a lot of, because while the player do have to sit out the next play and then are able to to come back afterwards it then becomes a competitive advantage seeing how it forces a  "Injury Timeout", to stop the clock. 

In the NBA, flops are intended to catch the Refs' attention, create fouls, technicals/flagrants. 

Not really anything to do with injury, more about their "acting skills"! 
grin.gif

I just really dis-like all this faking injuries, and flopping stuff! 

Just no reason for it! 
eyes.gif

The only way to clean it up is to fine players for blatantly obvious flops after the game's tape is reviewed, and after a few offenses or so start suspending them.

For example...1st offense 25K, 2nd offense 50K, 3rd offense- 1 game suspension...something like that

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

Technical and a fine of 10k per flop...

There you go. Nice, simple and realistic. I dont see it ever happening under the current piece of $+*@ of a commissioner. Someone like Goodell for the NBA would improve the game

Back
Top Bottom