What caused the shift in public opinion when it comes to homosexuality?

i think it's a combination of a lot of things.

in this country, pop culture reigns supreme... so i think having openly gay stars and characters just being themselves on tv was huge. ellen, will and grace, the real world, modern family, etc... even most soap operas and dramas eventually had at least one storyline featuring gay characters. it allowed people to see that we're no different from anyone else. i think back to the 80s and early 90s of my childhood and i honestly can't think of a single gay character on tv... that would've been huge for me. instead, i felt like i was different and it made me deeply ashamed, even through college.

politically, things were slower to develop. the first domino came the year after i graduated, when massachusetts became the first state to legalize gay marriage. i think at that point it seemed like the tide might finally be shifting, albeit slowly.

i'll admit i've been surprised at how quickly it seemed to have changed over just the past couple of years.

There is a lot of good input here but it's deeper than that. Throughout history when this behavior is rapant it's tends to mean the end of that society. The Romans indulged in it before their fall. We're all victims of history (society that is) and as you can tell with the economy and manufactured wars were heading for the same fate, only time will tell.... But this story has been told by history before.

There is a lot of good input here but it's deeper than that. Throughout history when this behavior is rapant it's tends to mean the end of that society. The Romans indulged in it before their fall. We're all victims of history (society that is) and as you can tell with the economy and manufactured wars were heading for the same fate, only time will tell.... But this story has been told by history before.
thats what the media wants you to think...

@sckid20. Yes that's what I'm saying

@NazDrowie. I don't follow what you mean the media for the most part validates the behavior.. elaborate on your comment.

Let me clarify that behavior ALONE did not lead to the fall; war,corruption,military occupation of foreign countries and invasion. These also lead to it all of which are present in our current situation.

I dont think you can compare the roman era to now.
people are constantly evolving and times are much different now.
Interesting read

http://appliedsentience.com/2013/07...ng-homosexuality-lead-to-civilizational-ruin/
Interesting from the article you posted. Same sex marriage first began in this Roman society in 27bce and their fall was 476 that's 449 years roughly 5 generations. America has been established Roughly 250 years. At this rate were on the same tragectory.

Interesting from the article you posted. Same sex marriage first began in this Roman society in 27bce and their fall was 476 that's 449 years roughly 5 generations. America has been established Roughly 250 years. At this rate were on the same tragectory.
Are you seriously suggesting that homosexuality has anything to do with the collapse of civilizations?

Really bruh?

mean.gif

Let me clarify that behavior ALONE did not lead to the fall; war,corruption,military occupation of foreign countries and invasion. These also lead to it all of which are present in our current situation.

I'll bite.

So what does homosexuality have to do with the above mentioned reasons for the fall of the roman empire? Where does being gay and or accepting the LGBT community come into play in a society's downfall?

Were there gay wars? Was there military occupation of gay lands? Was this corruption carried out by gay members of the Senate?

As I stated there were other contributing circumstances that went along with it. Now onto your point there is a moral degradation that occurs once lines start to get blurred. Which leads to the downfall of societies, no there weren't homosexual wars but it's a cycle that's has been throughout history is my point.

As I stated there were other contributing circumstances that went along with it. Now onto your point there is a moral degradation that occurs once lines start to get blurred. Which leads to the downfall of societies, no there weren't homosexual wars but it's a cycle that's has been throughout history is my point.
"Moral degradation"? 
laugh.gif

I'll bite, please elaborate.

I'll engage but tell me your stance on the points I've addressed before we move on. I don't want to spin our wheels discussing a moot point.

"Moral degradation"? :lol:
I'll bite, please elaborate.

Sounding like a 90's soccer mom's ranting about the societal ills of Hip Hop :lol:

Last edited:
You've yet to explain what homosexuality has to do with the downfall of the roman empire.

As of now you are literally saying that there was homosexuality in Roman society and look what happened to them. Was this also the case for the Greeks? What about every other powerful empire?

Seeing as all great empires in history came to an end, I doubt the sexuality of the citizens had much to do with the inevitable.

Not to mention the Romans were flourishing with a strong gay community for a much longer period than the existence of the U.S.
Gay communities didn't just show up one day. They were there before and after the empire.

Last edited:

yeah i'd like to hear more about this moral degradation...

"You've yet to explain what homosexuality has to do with the downfall of the roman empire".

Explained...
As I stated there were contributing circumstances that went along with the homosexual factor. That alone didn't bring the demise buthe it's a factor. Homosexuals don't have offspring which weakens the economy (look at china's 1 child policy). Again once moral boundaries get blurred it's a downward trend.

"Seeing as all great empires in history came to an end, I doubt the sexuality of the citizens had much to do with the inevitable".

Explained...
It's a domino effect every action has a reaction, the homosexual community have lobbies and divide and conquer ensue we destroy ourselves from within and the historical cycle continues. Now in and of itself the lifestyle is neither here nor there but the subsequent issues that follow are the issue.

Along with every other circumstance a society faces.

Let me get this straight...so you're really saying that there's some sort of vast historical gay conspiracy to end civilization?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom