What city is currently the capital of the world?

OP stop playing games you trying to start a NYC vs. thread? Cut all this "currently" nonsense out.

NYC is and always will be the capital of the world.

Tucson, AZ
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JC08

London, New York, Hong Kong. Pick one.

This is the best answer so far.

Here's my take on the top 3 most important cities: 1. London/NY 2.NY/London 3. Hong Kong

New York, it's the most important city (besides DC in politics) in the most important nation.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by Weekz

It has and most likely will stay NYC. I've yet to meet a more diverse city that is also just as financially important to the world (I believe the ethnic mix + the world important financial center is the reason for it being world capital).
Have you been to central London before?

If ethnic diversity makes a city a world capitol, there are more cities than NYC who can fit that criteria. Los Angeles, London, Sau Paulo, Buenos Aires, Sydney, Hong Kong and Vancouver have people from many different places.

If financial power is what matters, we can count out NYC. Like George Will said in 2010, "New York City is no longer the financial Capitol of the World nor the financial Capitol of the US, Washington DC is that."

If we are talking about a nexus of financial and political power, the answer would be Berlin. Of the great Industrialized nations of the world, Germany is the only one that has it economic and fiscal house in order. A single thumbs up or thumbs down from Frau Merkel will affect the Southern and Western parts of Europe and thus the World's Economy.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

If ethnic diversity makes a city a world capitol, there are more cities than NYC who can fit that criteria. Los Angeles, London, Sau Paulo, Buenos Aires, Sydney, Hong Kong and Vancouver have people from many different places.

If financial power is what matters, we can count out NYC. Like George Will said in 2010, "New York City is no longer the financial Capitol of the World nor the financial Capitol of the US, Washington DC is that."

If we are talking about a nexus of financial and political power, the answer would be Berlin. Of the great Industrialized nations of the world, Germany is the only one that has it economic and fiscal house in order. A single thumbs up or thumbs down from Frau Merkel will affect the Southern and Western parts of Europe and thus the World's Economy.

If you look at your own post and read it, none of those cities can potentially compete in all of those critia except for NYC. Berlin is not as diversed, HK modern business models are inspired by capitalism and they are no where near as diverse as far as housing residents from different backgrounds, DC and the other cities you listed doesn't have nearly as much business headquarters as NYC does and doesn't even come close. I think what puts NYC on top is not just one criteria it excels in, it's how the city has a big impact on many criteria's that it encompasses which other cities may not cover. Influence, tourism, geopolitics, fashion, big melting pot, big businesses, famous people, exposure through the media worldwide, etc. Paris, London, Berlin, DC, LA, Hong KOng all fall short guaranteed on some of the categories I listed above.

If this were 2006, I would say NYC, with no question (this despite being a proud Los Angeles Metro citizen).

The problem is that more financial capital is directed from Washinton DC than is directed from NYC. Without its flagship financial status, NYC's World Capitol status is based on demographics. While NYC is extremely ethnicly diverse, LA, Sydney, Toronto, HK, London and other cities can match or surpass it.

If demographics are a wash, financial and political clout are what matters. For that reason, I pick Berlin over Washington, DC. What happens in Berlin affects the majority of the European Economy, even France and England will be substantially affected by what ever decision comes out of the Reichstag.

roll.gif
pimp.gif
Those cat gifs are TOO dope.

To me it's wherever policies and #$+@ like that get made that have an impact on the ENTIRE planet.

Originally Posted by Dollaman11

..Switzerland most likely. Can't uff with that kind of money

the only issue with Geneva in this debate is it's diversity.  It's mostly filled with white Europeans, and a strong contingent of Russians who've just moved in. 
The only black/Asian people there are probably there for jobs at entities like the World Health Organization. 

London and NYC are the only Alpha ++ cities in the world.
so for dudes naming all these other cities and countries 
laugh.gif

is just foolish..

NYC may not be the leader in all categories, food, culture, finance, politics, diversity, fashion, but it IS the overall leader. Can't argue that.

laugh.gif
 @ Berlin.. I see your argument, but no one in the EU is checking for Berlin. It's not a Federation and Berlin is not D.C. 

Back
Top Bottom