What do the Memphis Grizzlies need, to become a playoff team

People at the beginning of the year were hyping OJ Mayo to be as good as Kobe. But theres no doubt hes a good player.

Memphis seems to have a pretty solid core, and with a bit of veteran presence with Greg Buckner and Quinton Ross.

The Vancouver Grizzlies never made the playoffs.
Memphis did make it for three years, so will this new and young group be able to go further.

Acquire a bruising power forward (Blake Griffin or Paul Millsap) and decide between Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo.

They have great young pieces but making them work together is going to be hard. OJ and Rudy have not been working well together but Marc Gasol is a completebeast.

Originally Posted by Vietishi

They have great young pieces but making them work together is going to be hard. OJ and Rudy have not been working well together but Marc Gasol is a complete beast.

rudy gotta realize the ball moves through OJ, let OJ build up the confidence of the rest of the team (getting the ball inside, getting Warrick a few moretouches, set Rudy up to penetrate the lane)

OJ gotta stop running to the 3 point line and waiting this year (coaches fault but still)

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

move to the east
what he said

..but seriously, they need to look into trading Rudy for another scoring threat who can play along side OJ, and try acquiring a Paul Milsap type of player.

I also think they need to play at a much faster tempo. Anyone else remember 2-3 years ago when they were trying to play like the Phoenix Suns? They did thatfor like 10-15 games then just stopped. I think that style of offense would benefit them more today since they have a better more athletic roster.

Stop drafting guys that suck on defense and gm's that give away all stars for ten cents on the dollar. Can we even call that ten cents? Crittendon?

Get one good swing player, and trade Mike Conley for a vet.

Other than that, more experience.

More experience and a better bench. There's no need of them to move out the West when alot of teams in the West are about to start rebuilding soon. Ifwe don't get the no.1 pick, I'm hoping Memphis could add a solid veteran at the PF position. Add depth to their bench with veterans and young talent,and let them work. It's a very simple matter IMO, it just takes action. I'm giving Rudy half a season to see what he got, but if he doesn't seem tobe motivated his upcoming 4th season, then deal him. I'm not willing to trade Conley unless we get Rubio in the draft because Conley is definitely showingsigns of being a good, maybe great PG.

Conley, OJ and Gasol will definitely improve this upcoming season. The question is will Rudy and Arthur improve and become more motivated? If they both do,then add a veteran starting PF, 3-4 solid bench players and they will be on their way.

Keep O.J. & build around him, trade Rudy for someone else. Either a vet or another scorer alongside O.J.. Someone that isn't going head to head withhim though, someone where they could mesh, a 1-2 punch. Its one or the other with Mayo & Rudy. After that its just experience & someone who can bangdown low.

Sign Steph next year.
nerd.gif

Move East and get a true PF (Darrell Arthur won't cut it). I think the Gay/Mayo duo can/will work. They just need time to mesh together.

An improved bench...the core seems to have a lot of potential. The problem is getting Rudy to realize he's not the main feature on that team. Mayo haspretty much taken that spot from him. Conley is shaping up to be a productive point guard after struggling his rookie yr, and I have high hopes for DarrellArthur (though that could be the Kansas fan in me being biased).
They need another solid back-up bigman whose a true defensive prescence.

Basically they can just follow the Trailblazers blueprint. Rebuild with all young talent + through the draft and get the right coach that can teach them whiletheir all still young and get them into a winning state of mind.

If they can get a solid 8 man rotation and let them work together for about 2 years, I think they can get to a Portland level. Gasol is showing he can play.Gay and Mayo have all star qualities. They will need a solid point and then a PF that can hit the boards and hit an open 15 footer. I think Conley can bedecent but OJ needs the O to run through him. Conley gonna need to bust his butt on D and hit some open shots in that O. They could be a good team.

Originally Posted by Guerrilla Warfare

Defense
Wrong. Memphis played very good D this yr.

They need a shooter and a better bench

Also, Rudy has got to play in the post more, anytime I saw him go down there consistantly this yr he was damn near unstoppable.

Originally Posted by henz0

Originally Posted by Guerrilla Warfare

Defense
Wrong. Memphis played very good D this yr.

They need a shooter and a better bench

Also, Rudy has got to play in the post more, anytime I saw him go down there consistantly this yr he was damn near unstoppable.
Really? Hmmm, I'm not going to pretend like I have watched alot of Grizlie games but according to Baasketball reference they were the 21stwordt defensive team in the league...

I blame that on the offense, which was HORRIBLE
laugh.gif
sick.gif
.. It got a little better when they switched coaches but still
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom