What is it about 20-somethings? Good NY Times article

Originally Posted by A Beautiful Wave

Yeah Well its easy to live like these people in the article if your parents are rich and are paying for everything...... Sounds just like a bunch of spoiled hipsters that can't grow up. 
See this 

http://altreport.hipsterr...nt-page-2#comment-150140
I won't argue with that -- not saying we're hipsters, but we're definitely spoiled. For a lot of us, our parents didn't have this luxury. They had to make money and provide for their kids, and that was their singular goal from an early age. But now we're spoiled because we don't have to face life with such urgency and focus.

Originally Posted by A Beautiful Wave

Yeah Well its easy to live like these people in the article if your parents are rich and are paying for everything...... Sounds just like a bunch of spoiled hipsters that can't grow up. 
See this 

http://altreport.hipsterr...nt-page-2#comment-150140
I won't argue with that -- not saying we're hipsters, but we're definitely spoiled. For a lot of us, our parents didn't have this luxury. They had to make money and provide for their kids, and that was their singular goal from an early age. But now we're spoiled because we don't have to face life with such urgency and focus.

Baller23217 said:
Originally Posted by balloonoboy

This is a great read. Halfway through it and everyone needs to read this.

It will change how you view your life as it puts a lot of things in perspective.

that's a stretch IMO

Baller23217 said:
Originally Posted by balloonoboy

This is a great read. Halfway through it and everyone needs to read this.

It will change how you view your life as it puts a lot of things in perspective.

that's a stretch IMO

^Huge stretch. If you are in your 20's, you most of these article's points. You probably didn't know the scientific research going on, breaking norms of psychology, etc.

^Huge stretch. If you are in your 20's, you most of these article's points. You probably didn't know the scientific research going on, breaking norms of psychology, etc.

Interesting read. I know I went through a mental breakdown during my first year in college. I took a year to regroup and went back on my grind and did well. Funny thing is I did suffer from some of these things as I entered college. But having friends who are all highly successful right of college was the support that I needed. We all look at one another as if we should either be able to one up one another or do as well, something that drives us forward.

This is sort of the norm nowadays though. And I do think that three things are really influencing this phenomenon. The creation of the outsourcing of jobs(thank you Bill Clinton), the recession, and the reluctance of the baby-boomers from retiring to leave room for us to enter the workforce. Each has had an impact on one another.

But then again I have to admit, I am from a somewhat privileged setting. My single mom and I are immigrants, but owning a multi-dwelling house in NYC def helps pay for things. Not to mention that I received plenty of federal aid, I am a citizen if anyone is curious. And all my friends that I hang out with on a regular basis have had this same sort of background.

Interesting read. I know I went through a mental breakdown during my first year in college. I took a year to regroup and went back on my grind and did well. Funny thing is I did suffer from some of these things as I entered college. But having friends who are all highly successful right of college was the support that I needed. We all look at one another as if we should either be able to one up one another or do as well, something that drives us forward.

This is sort of the norm nowadays though. And I do think that three things are really influencing this phenomenon. The creation of the outsourcing of jobs(thank you Bill Clinton), the recession, and the reluctance of the baby-boomers from retiring to leave room for us to enter the workforce. Each has had an impact on one another.

But then again I have to admit, I am from a somewhat privileged setting. My single mom and I are immigrants, but owning a multi-dwelling house in NYC def helps pay for things. Not to mention that I received plenty of federal aid, I am a citizen if anyone is curious. And all my friends that I hang out with on a regular basis have had this same sort of background.

KENISTON CALLED IT youth, Arnett calls it emerging adulthood; whatever it’s called, the delayed transition has been observed for years. But it can be in fullest flower only when the young person has some other, nontraditional means of support — which would seem to make the delay something of a luxury item. That’s the impression you get reading Arnett’s case histories in his books and articles, or the essays in “20 Something Manifesto,

KENISTON CALLED IT youth, Arnett calls it emerging adulthood; whatever it’s called, the delayed transition has been observed for years. But it can be in fullest flower only when the young person has some other, nontraditional means of support — which would seem to make the delay something of a luxury item. That’s the impression you get reading Arnett’s case histories in his books and articles, or the essays in “20 Something Manifesto,

20's can be full of win or fail. This is that point in ur life where u "feel" like u have to decide what the rest of ur life is gonna be like.
I remember when I hit 25 and all my friends were lookin at me like DAMN
tired.gif
I started to really try to come up wit life plans and such.
Everyone I went to school wit is either not doing anything they majored in or are successful in their field but not happy. Life is full of
twists and turns. Here I am 27 still feel like I aint a day over 22. Although, I am comfortable in my current position I KNOW this cant be
all life has to offer, and I cant settle for a job Im gonna hate dragging myself to every morning.

Didnt read the article btw
tired.gif

20's can be full of win or fail. This is that point in ur life where u "feel" like u have to decide what the rest of ur life is gonna be like.
I remember when I hit 25 and all my friends were lookin at me like DAMN
tired.gif
I started to really try to come up wit life plans and such.
Everyone I went to school wit is either not doing anything they majored in or are successful in their field but not happy. Life is full of
twists and turns. Here I am 27 still feel like I aint a day over 22. Although, I am comfortable in my current position I KNOW this cant be
all life has to offer, and I cant settle for a job Im gonna hate dragging myself to every morning.

Didnt read the article btw
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

I KNOW this cant be

Exactly how i feel. I was working my butt off in summer classes and  I had a  part time job this summer. This was a depressing summer because I was working hard just to graduate next spring, to get a job I don't really want for my whole life. I even moved back home just to save money but now i'm starting to regret that decision.  I'm 22 btw.

Back
Top Bottom