What is it about 20-somethings? Good NY Times article

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

I KNOW this cant be
all life has to offer, and I cant settle for a job Im gonna hate dragging myself to every morning.

Exactly how i feel. I was working my butt off in summer classes and  I had a  part time job this summer. This was a depressing summer because I was working hard just to graduate next spring, to get a job I don't really want for my whole life. I even moved back home just to save money but now i'm starting to regret that decision.  I'm 22 btw.

25 and living and surviving on my own with no kids nor wife............. find your passion and go for it. You have to work in between time but what else is there to do? Who cares about what people did in a past generation these are completely different times with a complete new set of issues. America is 5 times as competitive now then it was back then. The gap between the rich and poor is huge and the middle class is dwindling.

25 and living and surviving on my own with no kids nor wife............. find your passion and go for it. You have to work in between time but what else is there to do? Who cares about what people did in a past generation these are completely different times with a complete new set of issues. America is 5 times as competitive now then it was back then. The gap between the rich and poor is huge and the middle class is dwindling.

Well honestly, the most we can do as individuals is to work our hardest and stay focused..the other things will either take care of itself or not..its out of our control.

Well honestly, the most we can do as individuals is to work our hardest and stay focused..the other things will either take care of itself or not..its out of our control.

Originally Posted by Baller23217

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

This is a great read. Halfway through it and everyone needs to read this.

It will change how you view your life as it puts a lot of things in perspective.

QFT
just read the whole thing cuz of you two. its an average article. worth reading but not even close to "changing how i view my life" and it didnt put anything into perspective. it just shows that a lot of people are lazy as hell and some bs sociologist is attempting to explain it where in reality he's effectively justifying whats been done. 4.1/10. One thumb up. 42% Rotten.

It will change how you view your life as it puts a lot of things in perspective.

QFT
just read the whole thing cuz of you two. its an average article. worth reading but not even close to "changing how i view my life" and it didnt put anything into perspective. it just shows that a lot of people are lazy as hell and some bs sociologist is attempting to explain it where in reality he's effectively justifying whats been done. 4.1/10. One thumb up. 42% Rotten.

Originally Posted by Theta

QFT
QFT

The article bashes 20 something's for most of it.  But the last sentence is the point that i think things are working toward.  And i think this is why people act the way they do.

"If it really works that way, if this longer road to adulthood really leads to more insight and better choices, then Arnett’s vision of an insightful, sensitive, thoughtful, content, well-honed, self-actualizing crop of grown-ups would indeed be something worth waiting for."

Originally Posted by Theta

QFT
QFT

The article bashes 20 something's for most of it.  But the last sentence is the point that i think things are working toward.  And i think this is why people act the way they do.

"If it really works that way, if this longer road to adulthood really leads to more insight and better choices, then Arnett’s vision of an insightful, sensitive, thoughtful, content, well-honed, self-actualizing crop of grown-ups would indeed be something worth waiting for."

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Originally Posted by toast1985

This is one of those joints that I would open up in another tab, in attempt to convince myself that I would read this later.

...7 days later, the tab is still open, and I'm like WTH is this?
roll.gif
I always do that. Then my computer crashes and I'm so happy cause now I have an excuse for not reading all that stuff.
I skimmed through the article. I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer but it wasn't too exciting. Maybe it's because I've already thought of and dealt with a lot of these issues already over the past 3 years.

It's hard to say exactly what's going on, but me and most of my friends are in their mid to late twenties with a lot of uncertainty. We don't know if we're happy doing what we're doing, and we don't know what career would make us happy. Maybe we're just spoiled. And except for those who are married or almost married to someone they've been with since high school, the whole dating/marriage thing is a complete mess. No one knows what they're doing.

These are things I always thought were part of being a teenager, but for this generation it's a common problem well into one's 20s.

On the bright side, we have longer childhoods. We don't have to take on adult responsibilities until later in life (as the article points out). But one day it sort of hits you that you're getting old and you can't just continue as before. I feel like the rest of my life is now a race against time.
Exactly what I was thinking

I read through the whole thing and they make some points that are important but easy to miss if you skim, but the you understand the general point

I really think it's largely a generational problem with the echo boomers and helicopter parents -- not so much a stage like proposed in the article. Without a doubt I know some of my peers are gonna be the hardest working, succesful individuals, but it's concerning where I'm at in relation to them, or where my peers are. It can get concerning how naive my peers are as well. I personally want to push myself to follow the career path of my previous generation (move out, be financially independent, etc., on a relatively rapid timetable compared to most today) but it's difficult.

This is a good read for 20-somethings who don't realize they're not alone, if you will. But, I think this is the best read for the parents or others who don't understand this generation. 

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Originally Posted by toast1985

This is one of those joints that I would open up in another tab, in attempt to convince myself that I would read this later.

...7 days later, the tab is still open, and I'm like WTH is this?
roll.gif
I always do that. Then my computer crashes and I'm so happy cause now I have an excuse for not reading all that stuff.
I skimmed through the article. I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer but it wasn't too exciting. Maybe it's because I've already thought of and dealt with a lot of these issues already over the past 3 years.

It's hard to say exactly what's going on, but me and most of my friends are in their mid to late twenties with a lot of uncertainty. We don't know if we're happy doing what we're doing, and we don't know what career would make us happy. Maybe we're just spoiled. And except for those who are married or almost married to someone they've been with since high school, the whole dating/marriage thing is a complete mess. No one knows what they're doing.

These are things I always thought were part of being a teenager, but for this generation it's a common problem well into one's 20s.

On the bright side, we have longer childhoods. We don't have to take on adult responsibilities until later in life (as the article points out). But one day it sort of hits you that you're getting old and you can't just continue as before. I feel like the rest of my life is now a race against time.
Exactly what I was thinking

I read through the whole thing and they make some points that are important but easy to miss if you skim, but the you understand the general point

I really think it's largely a generational problem with the echo boomers and helicopter parents -- not so much a stage like proposed in the article. Without a doubt I know some of my peers are gonna be the hardest working, succesful individuals, but it's concerning where I'm at in relation to them, or where my peers are. It can get concerning how naive my peers are as well. I personally want to push myself to follow the career path of my previous generation (move out, be financially independent, etc., on a relatively rapid timetable compared to most today) but it's difficult.

This is a good read for 20-somethings who don't realize they're not alone, if you will. But, I think this is the best read for the parents or others who don't understand this generation. 

It's all in the global agenda of the elist/globalist. They"ve laid down the foundation for our slacker ways and capitalized off our choices to stay slaves in this oligarchy. It's so much deeper than the surface. I've came up with my conclusion due to yrs of research on various topics and connected the dots.

- college is a crutch after high school
- the ciriculum given doesn't prepare 95% of "Kids" for the real world
- parents know the world so they're reluctant to having their child live thru the current American nightmare by themselves
- too much debt
- too much credit availability
- not enough father figures

- the jobs available aren't too appealing for the average graduate exiting college. That's the problem right there.... Motherlovers think that degree actually means something...

It's all in the global agenda of the elist/globalist. They"ve laid down the foundation for our slacker ways and capitalized off our choices to stay slaves in this oligarchy. It's so much deeper than the surface. I've came up with my conclusion due to yrs of research on various topics and connected the dots.

- college is a crutch after high school
- the ciriculum given doesn't prepare 95% of "Kids" for the real world
- parents know the world so they're reluctant to having their child live thru the current American nightmare by themselves
- too much debt
- too much credit availability
- not enough father figures

- the jobs available aren't too appealing for the average graduate exiting college. That's the problem right there.... Motherlovers think that degree actually means something...

Back
Top Bottom