What to do to keep busy? (college grads looking for a job)

Since i graduated college last month and in the process of looking for a job, I've had a lot of free time. I'm still living in my college apartment til the lease is up in May (hopefully i find a job in chicago before then). What do you college graduates who don't have a job yet do to keep busy while looking for one?

i havent had @!%# to do but go to class lately, and almost all my classes are at night so i've been

-cleaning my apartment
-lounging by the pool
-listening to music
-working out

NT, music, DL/watch movies (been ODin' on this since i copped a NAS drive 
pimp.gif
)

finding a job is a full-time job itself, at least it was for me. I graduated in august 2009... took a unpaid internship in september.. quit in september and finally found a decent job in december and then a full time one in january this year.. before that, I was going to interviews every week and applying to jobs all the time online, you should do that too.. trust me, if you don't work hard for it, you won't get any jobs just sitting around trying to occupy time. think of it this way, you should be wishing there was more time in the day to apply to jobs AND you should know which jobs are attainable and learning from your interviews.. after a while, you become a job finding pro.

Originally Posted by Ducky Quack

finding a job is a full-time job itself, at least it was for me. I graduated in august 2009... took a unpaid internship in september.. quit in september and finally found a decent job in december and then a full time one in january this year.. before that, I was going to interviews every week and applying to jobs all the time online, you should do that too.. trust me, if you don't work hard for it, you won't get any jobs just sitting around trying to occupy time. think of it this way, you should be wishing there was more time in the day to apply to jobs AND you should know which jobs are attainable and learning from your interviews.. after a while, you become a job finding pro.
good points

take a course or do some volunteering. i took an art course at the local cc and it was fun and kept me busy. also did some volunteering to keep myself productive and you can also put it on your resume. other than that, looking for a job is basically a full time job.

i also went to the library and go a bunch of books on web and graphic design and basically brushed up and taught myself new skills.  might as well learn something when you got so much time.

^ What he said.
This is part of my current lifestyle, you should also apply to temp agencies/freelance work if you got skills in other fields outside what you are trying to acquire for an entry-level position (career or not). On top of that, expand your knowledge by reading and make your body healthy by working out and fixing your diet (if you haven't already done so). I know this is helping me a lot after post-graduating and the sort. Good Luck OP, brandish

your resume via monster, linkedin, through professional networking, craigslist classified apps, other various online apps, in person career fairs, and the whole nine.

It's tough out there but I'm hoping for some success soon, as well.

QFT.

If you really want to find something to do that is not related to a job, take an online class at a community college. It's convenient, cheap, and you could brush up skills.

i've been checking out jobs on careerbuilder, monster, indeed, and even craigslist almost everyday... still no luck. if i don't find a job by the summer i'm going back to school for my masters in the fall.

Originally Posted by oidreez

Since i graduated college last month and in the process of looking for a job, I've had a lot of free time. I'm still living in my college apartment til the lease is up in May (hopefully i find a job in chicago before then). What do you college graduates who don't have a job yet do to keep busy while looking for one?

if you have free time then you aren't trying hard enough.

VOLUNTEER. This is a good time to do so, what with the difficulty it is to find a job nowadays. You can make great connections, and feel good about helping out your community. I work at a not-for-profit organization in Chicago so feel free to hit me up if you're looking for organizaztions/community centers to volunteer at...at least a couple of hours a week...

2010 CENSUS is hiring like Mad right now.
Look up the local Census office in your area, and schedule a test date.
They pay $12.75 - $19 per hr. depending on what you'll be doing.
You have to be at least 18 years old, and basically I know that the average NTr can pretty much Ace the test, because most of the time people on NT are very Computer savvy and smart.
Bilingual is a PLUS, so if you speak spanish, or some sort of Asian dialect you're sought after

Originally Posted by airmaxwun

2010 CENSUS is hiring like Mad right now.
Look up the local Census office in your area, and schedule a test date.
They pay $12.75 - $19 per hr. depending on what you'll be doing.
You have to be at least 18 years old, and basically I know that the average NTr can pretty much Ace the test, because most of the time people on NT are very Computer savvy and smart.
Bilingual is a PLUS, so if you speak spanish, or some sort of Asian dialect you're sought after
yea i did this.

and to others.. how can i utilize my time better in job searching to not have as much free time. i been mostly going online to sites and putting in apps. since i'm not in chicago right now i cant go to places physically there.

oidreez, did the census people call you back, or have you not taken the test yet.
I took the test 2 weeks ago to this day, and today was my first day.

Originally Posted by airmaxwun

oidreez, did the census people call you back, or have you not taken the test yet.
I took the test 2 weeks ago to this day, and today was my first day.
i took the test in december...no call back yet but they said around march is when they would be calling people

Originally Posted by oidreez

and to others.. how can i utilize my time better in job searching to not have as much free time. i been mostly going online to sites and putting in apps. since i'm not in chicago right now i cant go to places physically there.

It all depends on where you look online. I honestly think one of the best job resources out there is Craigslist. It's how I got all three of my jobs, don't underestimate it as a resource. It makes sense too, because nowadays some websites like Jobdango charge employers to post job ads... and other sites just have horrible layouts and interfaces (NWJobs comes to mind). Craigslist is free and allows you to quickly send your resume in via e-mail. [avoiding wall of text]

So that means you need to build a strong, eye catching resume. Better resume --> more interviews --> less free time. Applying online at actual employer websites is good, but it could also mean you are aiming too high... depending on which company you are going for. The job market is tough these days (it took me a couple of months to realize that) that most big companies are looking for experienced workers, or at least candidates with a bit of experience or internships under their belt (and even then, good luck battling the big guys). Unless you have that, I wouldn't apply to any big companies. Keep it simple, apply to small to medium sized companies that are looking for fresh talent (fresh talent = less pay, but take what you can get)

Small to medium sized companies don't have as much resources so they often look towards hiring employees using the least amount of work and effort, which includes utilizing free job advertisement boards to test the water and find their prospective employee that way. That is why Craigslist is a great place... but I did notice that big companies like Amazon are now beginning to use Craigslist since it is so widely used nowadays. Again, just keep applying to jobs, but do take breaks. You'll go crazy if you don't.

One other thing, don't lose hope if you apply to a hundred jobs in a couple of weeks and hear nothing back. I often got depressed and lost hope when that happened.. I got e-mail after e-mail of employers rejecting my application or "moving forward with other candidates at this time". Don't lost hope... it really is about perseverance. Keep it up, good luck.

EDIT* Another thing about small to medium sized companies. Those firms are also very often represented by staffing agencies (Ajilon, CampusPoint, etc), so working with those agencies could also help get you some interviews.

Look for a job, play guitar, read, watch football, workout, play video games, listen to music, watch movies, hang out with friends, cook...

Back
Top Bottom