What was it like back in the day????

YO!

I had a cool Mom who'd cop for me and bring them to me on her lunch break. She'd rather that than me be out skipping 1st - 3rd period.
pimp.gif

DF!!!

I never bought into the retro thing much if I got em I got em if I didn't I didn't. I remember in NYC back in 98 the cement ivs were sitting onshelves all summer. Same with the wht and red Vs the following year.

Back in the day OGs would be out once a yr around Christmas usually and you'd wear your shoes till the sole fell off!

Back then I was playing ball every day and my kicks saw a lot of court time. The main thing that hyped the Jordan releases back then was the price, custhese shoes set the benchmark for being the most expensive in the store, some of the other nike flight/force shoes back in the early 90s were almost half theprice.

Js always cost a lot more than the other nike Bball shoes, once D.Robinson and Barkley got in on the brand they all started getting expensive, it was aroundthat time I started getting cons and Reeboks cus the nike stuff was just to expensive and I wasn't the type to be buggin my parents for expensive shoes,when I got a bit older I bought a few of the Barkley's and pipps while most other kids were spending on PS and Nintendo's in that respect kicks were alow cost option!

Originally Posted by DR813

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Now? Now these fools camping out never even put their feet in the shoes and can't wait to flip 'em on eBay or something.
smh.gif

"You can't knock the hustle." Hell yeah I can, and I will. They changed the game for the worst. Forget a reseller. I'd love for all you resellers to get a real jay oh bee and let the game back to what it was before your lazy, uninterested selves came through trying to push people out of lines.

We might not have thought so at the time, but... "Can it be that it was all so simple then?"
Exactly. I don't get how people camp out for shoes. Camping out for a week outside looking like a homeless person and for what? a pair of shoes? and top of that, when they finally purchase the shoe, they don't even wear it. That makes absolutely no sense to me. they just wasted a week of their lives camping out for a shoe that they will never even wear. Why camp out when I can easily go online and buy the shoe at midnight on release day. I'll never camp out for a shoe no matter how exclusive and limited it is. and these ebay resellers are ripoffs. like ska said they changed the game for the worst. they jack up the prices so high it makes it hard for people like me to get the pair we like because the prices are insanely high. Jordans that were $100 when they retroed (cement IIIs for example) are now going for at least $300 on ebay. that's a $200 mark up. and on top of that, got the audacity to charge insane shipping prices. that's an absolute joke and it's just not fair. The jordans I always wanted (Infared VIs, Columbia XIs, Bred XIs, Cool Grey XIs, DMP VI/XIs, etc.) I'll probably never have the chance to own them because of ebay resellers and their ridiculous prices. I can go on and on about ebay resellers, but I'm not in the mood right now to write a whole essay
laugh.gif
theres a big difference from what you are complaining about and what he is complaining about.
when a new shoe drops that is "limited" people camp for it just to sell it, its not about getting a shoe its about getting money. THOSE PEOPLE arethe resellers you should be complaining about. because they are willing/able to camp out for a week they prevent people that are not willing from getting thoseshoes then they charge a huge mark up ($2000 for titanium 23s) an hour after release.

You are complaining about an ebay seller selling shoes that came out 8-9 years ago! of course theres a mark up for that, after 8-9 years the number of DS pairsis going to be a lot less. If it takes you 9 years to turn a $200 profit i dont think thats a big deal. You should feel lucky those shoes are available at all.Without ebay what do you think the odds are of you stumbling on a pair of Cool Grey 11s are in a store 9 years after release??? Pretty damn slim. So if you arecomplaining about these people then you are just wrong. These people are most likely collectors themselves that occasionally feel the need to part with some oftheir older shoes for whatever reason and thats giving you a chance to scoop them up. A reseller is somebody that buys a shoe just to flip it a day later. Ifyou sit on a pair for 3+ years youre not a reseller. Again, be happy you have a chance at the older shoes at all.

It was just all much better back (80's-90's) then...It will never be the same again...yall youngins missed out

have you seen some of the best showcase/collection of original nike air pics people have posted
on this site?

well imagine being able to go to the mall everyday and see a footlocker or athlete's foot
or some other shoe store with a "collection" ten times better

and you could go see them whenever you wanted, and you could buy them whenever
you had the 50-125 bucks...

im not really dat much older than u op. but my first pair were da 15s. i was a lil kid n dat was an easy purchase. next was da flint grey 12s. i headed 2 damall just lookin 4 any shoes. easiest purchase of jordans ever. now its impossible to get a desired shoe easy. u have 2 b at midnight sales or whatever 2 haveyour place in line

Back in the early 90's is when I started loving nikes/jordans. Metallic V's were my first 3 pairs of Jordans. I got them from a footlocker near myhouse for 50% off 3 times throughout that year and wore each pair into the ground.
Fast forward 20 years, and you've got the internet and message boards, fakes, hyped up limited releases, resellers, fusions, and lack of quality materialsand craftsmanship.
Everything has changed a lot since then, from shoes to music, to cars. Sometimes I wish I could go back to those days, but today isn't so bad either. Hey,back then I had 1-3 pairs at the most at any given time. Today,
I had to build a walk-in closet for my shoes, so there's always going to be positives and a negatives when looking towards the past.
If I was 16 again, I'd embrace the present and the future.

^^^ Again who is say what well be heat in 10/15 years from now...Again the Jordan Brand strategy is to create a new nostagla with the kids....Retro's cannot and will not go on for ever...There is entire generation of kids who never saw Mike live dont really understand it all...Much like us 70's/80'sbabies cant understand Dr Jay and his time....Think about it Converse ruled the universe until Nike/Mike changed the game...If your from that time you canttell you pops nothing about Convs...and he will never understand the Jordan hype....10 years from now...we might be on niketalk talking about how it sucks thatthe Retro Fusion 5's DS is going for $500 a pair on Virtual Ebay.....lol

Dude I had like three pairs of Command Forces and destroyed every pair...crazy pairs of Ewing 33's (ebay them sh*t for sticker shock, i think retail waslike $50bucks)...Destroyed/lost them all...who the hell could have known...

The only OG's I've ever owned was a pair of Playoff XII's back in the late 90's.

During the "retro era" that re-started in 1999-2002, I used to walk in the day after the release and they still had the stocked.

back in the day everyone wasn't a "sneakerhead" and that made it relatively easy to obtain kicks... at least in my erea

Originally Posted by jacksonvilleNC

I didnt hear about lines until XI coolgrey release and I thought was crazy/stupid.

When you had Jordans you were consider richkid around my way.

After 1999 it got out of hand imo, we got flooded with releases.

2003 the year that Quality died with JB
sick.gif
. RIP
The CG XI is what did the game in IMO. Before that I was able to walk into FTL on 34th street late in the day after school and was still able tocop retro J's that released that day with plenty of sizes left. The Black/red XI's even though they dropped after the CG's were still available acouple weeks after release here in NYC. I miss those times

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

It was just all much better back (80's-90's) then...It will never be the same again...yall youngins missed out
This is realtalk here ^ I remember getting my Christmas money (91' I guess) and making someone take me to the mall the next day.
I walked into footlocker looking for some Jays and all they had left were carmines for $100.
laugh.gif
copped!

i once knew a kid who used to ride his bike to the mall, skip school and go and get his jays. also to mention that the mall was not close, from where i livedat. i didnt start hearing about lines til the retro VIIIs released in 03 i believe(when i really got into shoes around this time).

i only waited in line twice and that was for mars IVs and cardnal VIIs. spacejams will prob be my 3rd time.

lines started in KALAMAZOO MICHIGAN at the finishline i would say ummmmm first XI retro releases... Vi's it was dead... but like someone said in here theCG release was crazy for everybody.. i mean even the pink lowtop XI joints ended up selling out.... grown men buying a woman's 13 lol... but we had ourshare of fights,,,..security being called... and even a girl fainting and busting her head on the finishline glass window after she saw the 02 VDAY forcesLMAO... i was there for too many releases and it was fun though.. i would say it faded from fun to frustrating around the time the raptors dropped and thislittle Asian dude bought like 7 pairs of them (he was first in line and for some reason the F'''in manager didnt set a 1 per customer limit) andthis fool bought 9-12 ??????? who does that... !!! and thats when i realized im gonna be in for some BS!!!! didnt get my pair and the game was changed since...

man o man, back in the days..i used to get my jordans mid week, i f i couldnt cop them on the actual drop date, i would still be able to get them a couple ofdays later. i remember getting a lot of my kicks at the navy exchange and beat out some of the navy guys for sizes. lines werent bad at all. it all depended onwhere you shop. there werent a bunch of hypebeast, i also remember gettin proper gear to go with the kicks, which dont happen that much these days! my mainyears were back in 95 till 2004. im still a true collector. never buying for hype, i buy to rock no stock!

i only had to wait a few times other than that, my connect would send em to me atleast 3-4 days early

this aint an og sneakeread story but, i remember I always loved shoes but I never had a job or anything like that to afford JBs. I remember it was like 2003when my love started. I was 11 so it started wit and1 of course lol. Then it graduated to the Retro 2's (never copped), then the next big shoe that i couldremember was the retro X comin out 2 yrs later. I wanted the white/blue CW so bad i coulda cried, (again never copped) by this point i had a pair of brons andmelo 5.5 and was into forces and all that like everyone else. w.e. I think it was the next yr after that when the 4's came out, begged for them, parentswouldnt grab em for me. too expensive =[ (just copped for $100 btw). I could keep goin oin and on but ill stop. Now i got about 10 pair since i got a jobaround late July (Blackout 1/2 cents, Olympic 6's, Silver Foam Pros, Jordan 4/Miltiary Blue, Penny II/Black-Blue, Pippens/B-Red, Griffeys/Volt, Venom SBs,Penny III/White-Blue, Jordan 5's/Blacks out Raging bull) Basically AlexF <3 sneakers amd a;ways has. just never had the funds. In conclusion it was astrugle for me growin up in the shoe game lol. (i think i went on too far with this one)

I can tell you this no lil dingy shoe boutiques existed back in the days, just major retailers sold J's...even JC Penny had J's! I think what startedthe hype was the limited stuff JB came out where it's a "quickstrike" to "urban accounts"...yes the shoe boutiques that we have todaykilled it and fed the beast. Re-sellers killed it, e-bay killed it..gotta say the internet killed it. The world became smaller and now we can get sneak peeksof the newest J's in advance. Back then to find out what the newest J's were...we would just watch Mike play with the latest model and we all up on ourTV screens and be like what are those??!?! It was pure excitement... Then when they released to the general public...walk into a Footlocker and it's thevery 1st time seeing em and its just bigger than life itself...you be like dang I wish i had the $$ to buy these!.."MOMMA...Can I get my b-day giftearly?"....

When I copped my first jays there was no lines....not many people couldn't afford $100 sneakers in 88..dam I feel old...I have seen a few crazy retroreleases though

I remembered back in the days, if someone had nice Jordans on... mad hatred would be placed upon ya, especially in high school.

People get they *** whoop over nice Jordans in High School.

Back
Top Bottom